Want to shoot long range foxes

On this months Sporting Shooter Magazine Robert Bucknell Has a section on shooting foxes at 600yards,

Its a guy in Wales Who teaches people to shoot at that distance, The web site giving is

www.wms-firearmstraining.org,

Tought it might be of interest :thumbs:

All the best Stephen :laugh:

Quite interesting that. Think the bottom line is if you have got the right kit and you are confident in your shooting abilities then crack on with long range shooting. Its not for everyone though, theres nothing worst than a lamp shy fox that you cant get because some idiot has been pinging shots at it from distances that are out off there limits. :thumbs:

To hit target less than 1 metre size is very difficult at 500 metre /yard , not only 1000 metre /yard :icon_eek: This is top quality marksman shootin. With practice & zero is better. good vidio, thank you.

Quite interesting that. Think the bottom line is if you have got the right kit and you are confident in your shooting abilities then crack on with long range shooting. Its not for everyone though, theres nothing worst than a lamp shy fox that you cant get because some idiot has been pinging shots at it from distances that are out off there limits. :thumbs:

Well I don't know were you boys live, but down here (Devon/Cornwall) I have a job to get a shot further than 200 yards due the geography?

Much like bipods, if you lay down around here you cannot see much more than 50 yards anywhere, but particularly at this time of year when

the grass is 2 feet tall??

Anyway (for what its worth)I think 600 yard shooting at live quarry is just not on, no need, please don't do it.

AndyF

ive only been shooting 6 months and been long range shooting 3 times now, currently i use a .223 sako 85 first time out once zeroed i was hitting 2-3 inch water bombs at 350yds no worries. last week was out shooting metal bird sized targets, water bombs and rabbits out to 400yds and with my mates .338 and 308 quite easily shooting rabbits at 600yds+ i personally find it very interesting being able to read the windspeeds dialing the windage and elevation and getting ur spotter to call the shot

Only take the shot if your happy

ive only been shooting 6 months and been long range shooting 3 times now, currently i use a .223 sako 85 first time out once zeroed i was hitting 2-3 inch water bombs at 350yds no worries. last week was out shooting metal bird sized targets, water bombs and rabbits out to 400yds and with my mates .338 and 308 quite easily shooting rabbits at 600yds+ i personally find it very interesting being able to read the windspeeds dialing the windage and elevation and getting ur spotter to call the shot

.....big yourself up why don't you :hmm:

Yes mattywhit, but you are on a range, shooting plastic bags full of water at a fixed known range, fine and very good, I would like to try that as well!

But please NO LIVE THINGS if you miss, you miss. If you nick the corner so what, but if you carve a chunk out of a fox/rabbit/deer and it runs, you

have crossed the line, lets not confuse live quarry with shooting rifles for enjoyment.

AndyF.

If he's confident in his equipment and competent to take the shot there's no reason not to. There's way too much online judging of peoples skills who've never met IMHO. Sorry, no offense meant, but some people are just good at shooting.

Yes mattywhit, but you are on a range, shooting plastic bags full of water at a fixed known range, fine and very good, I would like to try that as well!

But please NO LIVE THINGS if you miss, you miss. If you nick the corner so what, but if you carve a chunk out of a fox/rabbit/deer and it runs, you

have crossed the line, lets not confuse live quarry with shooting rifles for enjoyment.

AndyF.

You are right of course in the difference between range and the real world....and this long range fox shooting was only range work in a valley. But we all know some people are better shots than others anyway :thumbs:

Just what is the difference between shooting tin plates across a valley at a given distance, with as many sighting shots as you want, than going down to Bisley and letting go at any distance you want up to 1200 yards??

To hit target less than 1 metre size is very difficult at 500 metre /yard , not only 1000 metre /yard :icon_eek: This is top quality marksman shootin. With practice & zero is better. good vidio, thank you.

A metre target at 500 yards should be straightforward for anyone with the right gun and ammo, if they can't do that then I would have to suggest they either need to practice a lot or shooting just isn't for them!

A metre at 1000 yards is a lot harder, but again, anyone with the tools should do that without trouble......but that is still a LOT different to accurately dropping rabbits or deer at long distance!!