Half trained gun dog

Basically i know nothing about gun dog but my mate picked up a 2 year old half trained springer. We took for walks and i think it has been taught to point and flush from what i can see, but as soon as the dog flushes it jumps on its back legs through the corn for 300 metres trying to follow the game bird.If the dog see's a rabbit it will kill it and if it see's hares it will them, well im not sure about hares but it killed a levveret yesterday. Any help on training this dog so it stops running after game bird that it has flushed and chasing them for 300 metre.?

in my opinion this dog is going to struggle to become a sit to flush dog, and its no good that its pegging game, personally I wouldn't waste my time on it, it will be too much hard work as the chase seems like at the age of 2 that it will be instilled. be best off buying a pup...this is a reason for not buying something already started, you usually end up with someones messed up rubbish, sorry for being harsh but in my opinion thats the truth, just hope your friend didn't spend alot of money on it.

in my opinion this dog is going to struggle to become a sit to flush dog, and its no good that its pegging game, personally I wouldn't waste my time on it, it will be too much hard work as the chase seems like at the age of 2 that it will be instilled. be best off buying a pup...this is a reason for not buying something already started, you usually end up with someones messed up rubbish, sorry for being harsh but in my opinion thats the truth, just hope your friend didn't spend alot of money on it.

He got it free mate and to be honest we are both not bothered, i dont know anything about this sport.

Manythanks,

Zachrussell

run him on a long check cord for a while and when he starts to chase give it a good tug and turn him over ,run over to where he is ,carry him by the scruff of the neck back to where he started chasing(giving him a shake now and again,) and make him stay there.THis lesson might have to be repeated several times depending on how headstrong the dog is

TT agree that its a method to stop chasing, but not in a 2year old dog where in my opinion the chasing will be instilled, and when check cord is removed the dog will go back to habits...

I might be wrong, but its going to be alot of work and there may be no joy at the end of it...

TT agree that its a method to stop chasing, but not in a 2year old dog where in my opinion the chasing will be instilled, and when check cord is removed the dog will go back to habits...

I might be wrong, but its going to be alot of work and there may be no joy at the end of it...

:yes::thumbs:

:yes::thumbs:

Hes a good dog and he does point and flush but once he has flushed the gamebird he runs after it through the corn on his back legs so he can see where its flying.

My mate has a spaniel like this which he has given up training :no: he has no control over the dog and she hunts where she wants :wallbash: she still is the best finder of game i have seen and we have still had some good days shooting over her, so you can shoot over them and have a good day, but it is limited and very frustrating at times especialy when another dog which is trained is added to the day, then you dont want the wild spaniel anywhere near you or your dog.

Good luck with it anyway and if it puts game infront of you gun and you have a good day that all that matters.

ATB

Dave.