Spaniel Training - Air rifle

I have started training my spaniels but really need to sort out my gun license sorted out and buy an air rifle just to get them used to the noise etc, just looking for ideas on what rifles I should be looking at, it will be used for training purposes only so not looking to pay extortionate amounts of money. Any suggestions?

IMHO i think you would be better off getting a blank fireing pistol to get the dog used to anything that resembles shot gun fire as an air rifle will only get the dog used to the sight of a gun and not the noise a shotgun would make.atb dell

i know of a few dogs that are sh1t scares of the sound of an air rifle, mine included. shotgun, punt gun, fireworks all fine but air rifle and you can forget it.

starting pistol or dummy launcher is a good start or if you have a clay ground near you then have a chat with the owner and ask if you can walk the dog down the drive when there shooting. slow steady steps, don't rush the spaniel.

Phil.

do not take your pup near a shot gun untill you have it used to less bangs like a starter pistol and get it used to noise in general lawn mower hammering etc then if the pup dont flinch at these levels of sound get a pal to fire a shotgun about 100 yards away while you stay with the pup keeping an eye on it for any bad reactions if ok then get your pal to come closer say 60 yard and fire again work up to geting the dog used to the gun don't rush it if you get it wrong it will be a longer job to put it right. ps don't fire a gun near woods or anywhere the noise can echo or bounce off get into a flat area so you give youself a better chance of not frightening the pup .dont make the mistake of thinking its a gundog so it won't be scared of guns the pup does'nt know its a gundog until you have trained it.good luck.

Hi brambrack, remember the phone contact i gave you for spaniel trainer called Darren, well he also has a website for training equipment -www.kirkbournegundogs.co.uk, i think he has the same starter pistol @ £27 try him first.

ATB Mick

Cheers mick, I have called Darren and got Bracken booked in for next Friday for some one on one Hopefully he will make a sound Dog and I will get some tips for when Briars old enough to start training. Cheers for all your help I will keep you updated on his progress, hoping it wont be too long before hes something like and I can try him out. Many thanks Steph

Are you allowed to use a blank firer in your garden?

I am in a similar situation, Labrador is 8 months old and I want to get him used to bangs. I was going to get some fireworks but a blank firer would be best. Only problem is I don't want the police turning up at my house as I am going to put in for my FAC/SGC soon.

Yes be carefull about useing one in a public place as far as i know it maybe illeagal i know their was a case a few years back were two women were hauled before the courts for training their dogs with one nr a public foot path.

Are you allowed to use a blank firer in your garden?

I am in a similar situation, Labrador is 8 months old and I want to get him used to bangs. I was going to get some fireworks but a blank firer would be best. Only problem is I don't want the police turning up at my house as I am going to put in for my FAC/SGC soon.

Play it safe, give him a call, what ever the outcome at least he will know you were sensible enough to ask first. :thumbs:

ATB Mick

I know its not quite the same.... ive got a terrier that goes rough shooting with me and the shotgun & she will also sit next to me when out with the centrefire after long range rabbits.

I started young, when she was a pup i would bang her metal food bowl on the floor, started quiet ish then gradually got louder. Being sure that encouragement was given for her to stay by my side... then she would get her meal.

As for starting with guns, i would take the .22lr with me when i went for a walk with her, i didnt fire any rounds for a few outings. just to get her used to me carrying the rifle, then started to fire a few subsonic shots with the mod on (into a safe backstop). Same thing again, being sure she stayed put next to me, i then progressed to shooting the .22 without the moderator, time it got to the shotgun she was fine.

Although when shooting rabbits with the centrefire, if the rest tend to bolt after the shot, she will be itching to go chase.

I can see that without a FAC doing it a similar way to me could require some ingenuity!

M

y dog is fine with all guns, she sees that me getting a gun out means its fun time!