what calibre next?

thinking of getting a bigger calibre something legal for deer, currently have .22lr and .223

What calibre would you recomend something very accurate, something with a good choice for home loading, whichever i go for i will probably have some custom work done to it so would like something with alot going for it

my mate has a 6mm ppc should i follow him and get the same?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you want to shoot. There are as many opinions on the best calibre as there are people shooting!

For any UK deer, the .243 takes some beating. Fast and flat, but very little recoil with a decent mod. It'll take down anything you care to shoot in the UK (even wild boar if you're brave).

.308 is another popular round. The bench rest guys shoot sub-MOA groups out beyond 600 yards with them. Ditto the 7.62.

Obviously you have your metric rounds, 6.5x55, 7mm etc.

For availability and cost, I would say the .243 is the best bet. Plenty of reloading kit about, and loads of info on worked up loads. Best bet is to see what is popular in your area, as the more people shooting it the better the availability of everything.

Follow your heart as to what you want or like to shoot, 243 win, 6mm ppc shit accurate, 7mm 08, .308, .270

but for overall bits and pieces you cannot beat the .243 win, or the .308,

i'd go remmy 700 if you want a bit of tweeking down the line or a remmy clone if you wanna start tweeking now .....lol

Snap.

Depends what you want to shoot. There are as many opinions on the best calibre as there are people shooting!

For any UK deer, the .243 takes some beating. Fast and flat, but very little recoil with a decent mod. It'll take down anything you care to shoot in the UK (even wild boar if you're brave).

.308 is another popular round. The bench rest guys shoot sub-MOA groups out beyond 600 yards with them. Ditto the 7.62.

For availability and cost, I would say the .243 is the best bet. Plenty of reloading kit about, and loads of info on worked up loads. Best bet is to see what is popular in your area, as the more people shooting it the better the availability of everything.

.260 out classes the .243 [flatter and more energy] and is out performing the .308 for bench rest shooting ! Has about the same felt recoil as the .243.

It also excells as a reloaders catridge,With no problems for any componants ! can even use .243 cases or .308 cases if you don't want to buy .260 cases .

Perhaps you should just clarify that.

Whilst .243 MAY be physically capable of taking down a wild boar it is not legally capable of taking down a wild boar, given it does not fall in the min calibre status laid down by the home office.

Although I know where your coming from...

.243 will take some beating for availability (of S/H guns and ammo), would be worth getting some experience in on the deer you CAN shoot with a .223 before putting your variation in.

As long as you have the .223 conditioned for deer!

And there is no actual legally binding minimum calibre for boar. The home office RECOMMEND a .270, but it's not binding, and the police can vary at their discretion if there is good reason!

I personally would have to think hard before shooting a boar with anything less than a .308. I have never shot a deer with a .243, but I know a few who have, and found it to be a perfectly capable round (this was not in the UK!)

Edited by matt_hooks

thinking of getting a bigger calibre something legal for deer, currently have .22lr and .223

What calibre would you recomend something very accurate, something with a good choice for home loading, whichever i go for i will probably have some custom work done to it so would like something with alot going for it

my mate has a 6mm ppc should i follow him and get the same?

I sometimes wonder how people fill in their FAC application as some answers show they don't read properly

I sometimes wonder how people fill in their FAC application as some answers show they don't read properly

The .243 has plenty of scope for reloading. I don't really understand what you are trying to infer with that!

Pretty much any of the sensible CF deer rounds are readily re-loadable, with good availability of brass and heads in the UK. Some might be more expensive, but none are particularly difficult to get hold of!

if you want a bit of a custom rifle then go for a 6br. they say the 6ppc is the king upto 300 yards in bench rest with the 6 br only just behind it.

but once you get over 300 the 6br is far better due to pushing heavier bullets better

i think for hutning tho you will have to go along way to beat the 243 for what it offers.

i was thinking about going for 243 next. but as i hear that the law could be changed soon to alow 22 cf for roe as well. like you can in scotland im holding off on swapping my 22/250 for 243.

Edited by jamie g

Matt

What i was saying is the original post said he was looking at reloading ! And thought about 6m ppc .

Yet we get straight on to .243 again as the UK's kill everything that walks caliber ! While i agree it is one of the most used and avalable calibers in the UK, and can kill all uk legal quarry .

The facts are there are BETTER calibers avalable that are mainly RELOADED due the the lack of comercial Ammo.

Although we are all guilty of thinking that one's own caliber is the best ! Fact is the .260 rem can do all that the .243 can do but flatter faster further and with more energy !

But then there is also the 7 X 08

Perhaps you should just clarify that.

Whilst .243 MAY be physically capable of taking down a wild boar it is not legally capable of taking down a wild boar, given it does not fall in the min calibre status laid down by the home office.

Although I know where your coming from...

There is no minimum LEGAL calibre for Boar, the Home Office Guide is a GUIDE!!!

ATB!! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Cold. Your understanding of that line and mine seem to differ!

I would understand it to mean a round that has a wide range of options for home loading available, NOT one that is primarily home loaded.

Even though the 6mm ppc is mainly home loaded due to difficulty finding factory ammunition, I would contend that you will still have a greater range of reloading options with the .243, simply because of the number of people who use it.

Yes, the 6.5x55, 6mm ppc, 6m br, .260, .270 etc. etc. etc. are great loads, and work really well, but none offers a significant improvement over the .243 for short to medium range shooting against British deer species, and because of the availability and volume, they are likely to work out significantly cheaper.

well my advice would be to take the logical step to a 243/6mm caliber . you say your mate has a 6mm ppc dont just follow others for the sake of keeping up with the joneses the majority of 6mm calibers are wildcat calibers and are normally custom builds and chambering for set bullet weights etc unlikely to pick up much in the way of factory builds or sh also may have problems explaining why you want a 6br for deer as not all flo are gened up on them .

personally if buying new would go for a 243caliber remmy 700 action shoot out the barrel and then in a few years you can rebarrel in the chamber of your choice and re stock as you want at any time or if you want to shorten that buy a second hand remmy 700 243 and rebarrel it in what ever you want .

just make sure you get the right twist rate for the job you want to do most 243 will shoot 100 grain bullets accurately enough for deer in scotland just remember it was designed for 70 to 90 bullets and within that range loads can be found that will shoot bugholes all day if you want to shoot lighter 55 to 69 grain bullets at 4000 fps get a 22/250 as they are better for that job like wise if looking at 100 grains and heavier then need faster twist rate to stableise the bullet . graham.