African Lion Bow Kill

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not my sort of hunting, but each to their own.

Not my type of hunting either, But these big game reserves were people pay £££ to shoot Lions, Rhinos etc.. have actualy played a big part in boosting the wild population numbers of many animals in

so many anti comments on this thread.   any wonder fox cant be hunted when hunters turn on their own .   nice one lads , keep it up . you wont be happy until they done shooting and fishing aswell

Posted Images

That young lion looked as if it was about to fall asleep ???

Something not quite right about the video ??

Canned hunt maybe ??

Whatever it was ,I dont think that it was a truly wild lion.

I must agree mate something was very fishy with that whole "stalk"?

SGS............is there such a thing as shot placement with this type of hunting? Everytime i watch i its a shoot wherever you like policy? If it was me i would be wanting a near as instant kill for the fear of that thing getting up and charging? :thumbs:

I will agree with you it's not my style of hunting. As far as shot placement and an instant kill one must consider that never happens with archery tackle - That is not to say you cannot have a clean kill with archery tackle. Razor sharp broadheads kill through the process of hemoraging ( blood loss ) . Ethical shot placement is always a lung and heart shot on big game (except Elephant). Typically a lung/heart shot deer willl run and bleed out on the hoof.... By the way venison that has bled out is much more palatable then a deer that has flopped over at the shot full of blood .

The lion may have jumped or squated at the noise of the shot or arrow flight- It was spined - I have spined deer accidentally, once I had one jump the string and turn directly head on into the shot and the arrow hit between the eye's and went down the neck, I was shooting from a tree stand (high seat). It still made it a few yards before expiring...

As far as the lion beeing sleepy yes I agree - Lions sleep/lounge a majority of their life, especially after gorging on a big kill they also guard their kills quite aggressively- It is an acceptable technique to spot and stalk lions lounging after a meal...We use carcasses/kills to ambush lions in the US....

I personally like to sit a tree stand or a ground blind and let the animals come to the ambush , I believe it allows for better shot placement and less hurried shots... I do practice spot and stalk on Javalina and Ferral Hogs. I have never had the opportunity to hunt African Lion and I believe I would prefer to set an ambush over a fresh kill/carcass - I guess I am lazy that way....I don't believe this was a canned hunt it is typical for lions that don't get hunted much to show little fear of humans even ones that do get hunted will stalk and kill the hunter.. The American Mt Lions that live in remote areas will show little to no fear of man - They are the top of the food chain....This is my take on it and out of experience I try not to be overly critical of hunting videos like this as it is difficult to run a camera in the field...The hunter was legally harvesting a lion and his guide/PH did his job as ehthicaly a possible. I believe this video was OK as far as portraying their hunt in a favorable fashion. I know there are some critics on here that feel other wise and will speculate that this method or that is a truer style of hunting....but I suppose they are anal and pickiunish about cars, tennis shoes and hand bag's.....You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose - Just don't pick your friends nose...

SGS

I will agree with you it's not my style of hunting. As far as shot placement and an instant kill one must consider that never happens with archery tackle - That is not to say you cannot have a clean kill with archery tackle. Razor sharp broadheads kill through the process of hemoraging ( blood loss ) . Ethical shot placement is always a lung and heart shot on big game (except Elephant). Typically a lung/heart shot deer willl run and bleed out on the hoof.... By the way venison that has bled out is much more palatable then a deer that has flopped over at the shot full of blood .

The lion may have jumped or squated at the noise of the shot or arrow flight- It was spined - I have spined deer accidentally, once I had one jump the string and turn directly head on into the shot and the arrow hit between the eye's and went down the neck, I was shooting from a tree stand (high seat). It still made it a few yards before expiring...

As far as the lion beeing sleepy yes I agree - Lions sleep/lounge a majority of their life, especially after gorging on a big kill they also guard their kills quite aggressively- It is an acceptable technique to spot and stalk lions lounging after a meal...We use carcasses/kills to ambush lions in the US....

I personally like to sit a tree stand or a ground blind and let the animals come to the ambush , I believe it allows for better shot placement and less hurried shots... I do practice spot and stalk on Javalina and Ferral Hogs. I have never had the opportunity to hunt African Lion and I believe I would prefer to set an ambush over a fresh kill/carcass - I guess I am lazy that way....I don't believe this was a canned hunt it is typical for lions that don't get hunted much to show little fear of humans even ones that do get hunted will stalk and kill the hunter.. The American Mt Lions that live in remote areas will show little to no fear of man - They are the top of the food chain....This is my take on it and out of experience I try not to be overly critical of hunting videos like this as it is difficult to run a camera in the field...The hunter was legally harvesting a lion and his guide/PH did his job as ehthicaly a possible. I believe this video was OK as far as portraying hunting in a favorable fashion. I know there are some critics on here that feel other wise and will speculate that this method or that is a truer style of hunting....but I suppose they are anal and pickiunish about cars, tennis shoes and hand bag's.....You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose - Just don't pick your friends nose...

SGS

I'm not against anything he done, or hunting with Bows or guns, if someone enjoys hunting that way then fair play to them, but that sort of hunting just doesn't interest me personally.

I'm a Terrier and Lurcher sort of bloke.

I personally like to sit a tree stand or a ground blind and let the animals come to the ambush , I believe it allows for better shot placement and less hurried shots... I do practice spot and stalk on Javalina and Ferral Hogs. I have never had the opportunity to hunt African Lion and I believe I would prefer to set an ambush over a fresh kill/carcass - I guess I am lazy that way....I don't believe this was a canned hunt it is typical for lions that don't get hunted much to show little fear of humans even ones that do get hunted will stalk and kill the hunter.. The American Mt Lions that live in remote areas will show little to no fear of man - They are the top of the food chain....This is my take on it and out of experience I try not to be overly critical of hunting videos like this as it is difficult to run a camera in the field...The hunter was legally harvesting a lion and his guide/PH did his job as ehthicaly a possible. I believe this video was OK as far as portraying hunting in a favorable fashion. I know there are some critics on here that feel other wise and will speculate that this method or that is a truer style of hunting....but I suppose they are anal and pickiunish about cars, tennis shoes and hand bag's.....You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose - Just don't pick your friends nose...

SGS

I'm not against anything he done, or hunting with Bows or guns, if someone enjoys hunting that way then fair play to them, but that sort of hunting just doesn't interest me personally.

I'm a Terrier and Lurcher sort of bloke.

Yes I got that you don't oppose - it neither do I - I was also answering the other questions about shot placement and the sleepiness of the lion I know you didn't pose those questions. Its good that we can just accept that people hunt differently.... And not jump to over critical negative conclusions... I know some that will say hunting with dog's is wrong and should be banned ..... They need to have something they enjoy banned.....

i think those lions see so many tourists that they think nothing of people following them, not my cup of tea but if thats what your into, best of luck, by the way i saw a stuffed full lion on e bay the other day, starting price was 41000 dollars

pity its parents didnt turn up and maul the wanker

Why would someone who enjoys and understands their hunting, say something like that?

just my opinion mate,dont agree with killing lions and certainly not with a bow and arrow

maybe a bold statement for a hunting site but there you go.

• Like 1

pity its parents didnt turn up and maul the wanker

Why would someone who enjoys and understands their hunting, say something like that?

just my opinion mate,dont agree with killing lions and certainly not with a bow and arrow

maybe a bold statement for a hunting site but there you go.

Anti with a pet ferret what likes to catch rats and thinks it's the only true blood sport! :icon_eek: