Have you ever lost ferrets when ferreting?

i did it by putting them in the hole :11: nah my ferrets work deep and we was doing a big set and it got dark i waited until half past five in the pitch black and went home but i had a walk over were i lost it to day and there one of them was its now back in the ferret pen :clapper:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get small locator collars for ferrets? I know they have them for terriers. Could be handy and save a lot of digging, but they'd be spendy too.

Ay...mmm hows a smaller collar gonna save a lot of digging or am i just thick or something :whistle:

MATE I DONT THINK HE KNOWS THERE IS SUCH A THING AS A FERRET COLLAR , NOT THAT THE MICRO COLLARS WILL SAVE DIGGING.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ditch_Shitter
lost 2 of the buggers yesterday bloody gutted but my fault for not having a locator :cry:

No, mate. Steady on. Ye have ye entire thinking and mind set all arse about face here.

You lost ye ferrets because ye entered them into a big bury, too late in the day. Simple as that. But now ye've learned that that's a bad idea and so won't be doing it again. In future, ye'll stand searching over a big one with ye eyes. Then ye'll look at the sky and what ever sun there is and ye'll think, " Naah, f*ck it. I'll do this one next time. Start with it first so I have plenty of time, in case it hits the fan. "

That's called Gaining Experiance. Next time ye set out, ye'll be a More Experianced Ferreter. Ye may even go with a completely fresh mate and, when he says, " Oh look! Let's try this massive warren before we call it a day! There must be hundreds in there! " You'll turn round to him and say; " :rolleyes: Don't be a doughnut! It'll take longer than you know to work that beast. I want my ferrets back in the box and heading for home well before it starts getting towards dusk! ". See? Ye'll impress yeself!

Now, as for this smoke and mirrors about Locators? Read, carefully, the above posts again. See who's losing their ferrets and why? Collars coming off. In my decades of ferreting I never once lost a ferret. Fact. I abandonned one once, as a better part of valour and at the behest of a couple of older men who were showing me the ropes. But I never lost a single ferret. Why? Probably because I never placed my finger on a locator in my entire life. That's why.

Once one of my ferrets goes down that hole, I'm The Ultimate Predator. If a blade of grass moves in the breeze? Noted. Checked. Verified. My concentration is intense. I never cease my eyes roving. I listen intently and watch for movement many, many yards away. Small bird activity fifty yards along a hedge can warn me the unimaginable's happened, and one on mine's got past me and is off down there somewhere. I even look over my own shoulder. I Know I'm not invincible.

People today? Slap a net dragging collar on their ferts. Put them down a hole and lapse straight into 'Might as well read a magazine while I'm waiting' mode. Or else they trample all over the bury, staring intently at that stupid little box in their hands. Then they come on here telling how they dug down to an empty collar. Why? Because that ferret walked off, in plain view of them - as they were staring intently at that stupid little box. I've watched people with them. They become mesmarised. See only the box. Hear only the box.

Frankly, I think they oughta think up a new name for it. " Rabbit Digging by Electronics ", maybe? Because it sure as hell isn't what I've ever known as Ferreting.

Forget the gadgets, son. Learn the Old Ways of Field Craft. 'Hunting'. Become a Ferreter.

lost 2 of the buggers yesterday bloody gutted but my fault for not having a locator :cry:

No, mate. Steady on. Ye have ye entire thinking and mind set all arse about face here.

You lost ye ferrets because ye entered them into a big bury, too late in the day. Simple as that. But now ye've learned that that's a bad idea and so won't be doing it again. In future, ye'll stand searching over a big one with ye eyes. Then ye'll look at the sky and what ever sun there is and ye'll think, " Naah, f*ck it. I'll do this one next time. Start with it first so I have plenty of time, in case it hits the fan. "

That's called Gaining Experiance. Next time ye set out, ye'll be a More Experianced Ferreter. Ye may even go with a completely fresh mate and, when he says, " Oh look! Let's try this massive warren before we call it a day! There must be hundreds in there! " You'll turn round to him and say; " :rolleyes: Don't be a doughnut! It'll take longer than you know to work that beast. I want my ferrets back in the box and heading for home well before it starts getting towards dusk! ". See? Ye'll impress yeself!

Now, as for this smoke and mirrors about Locators? Read, carefully, the above posts again. See who's losing their ferrets and why? Collars coming off. In my decades of ferreting I never once lost a ferret. Fact. I abandonned one once, as a better part of valour and at the behest of a couple of older men who were showing me the ropes. But I never lost a single ferret. Why? Probably because I never placed my finger on a locator in my entire life. That's why.

Once one of my ferrets goes down that hole, I'm The Ultimate Predator. If a blade of grass moves in the breeze? Noted. Checked. Verified. My concentration is intense. I never cease my eyes roving. I listen intently and watch for movement many, many yards away. Small bird activity fifty yards along a hedge can warn me the unimaginable's happened, and one on mine's got past me and is off down there somewhere. I even look over my own shoulder. I Know I'm not invincible.

People today? Slap a net dragging collar on their ferts. Put them down a hole and lapse straight into 'Might as well read a magazine while I'm waiting' mode. Or else they trample all over the bury, staring intently at that stupid little box in their hands. Then they come on here telling how they dug down to an empty collar. Why? Because that ferret walked off, in plain view of them - as they were staring intently at that stupid little box. I've watched people with them. They become mesmarised. See only the box. Hear only the box.

Frankly, I think they oughta think up a new name for it. " Rabbit Digging by Electronics ", maybe? Because it sure as hell isn't what I've ever known as Ferreting.

he gadgets, son. Learn the Old Ways of Field Craft. 'Hunting'. Become a Ferreter.

:laugh: Forget t :clapper::clapper::clapper:

still going strong ditch, bought a new deben mk 3 collar, never been fitted yet to a fert and alls well!!

same here never used a locator once ,but then again the burys i ferret are not that big ,in the past i've had to hang around a few hours but i allways get then back never lost a ferret in 10 years ,the only time i left one was when i took a friends kid out for the day after an hour of waiting for a ferret he wants to go home he's cold wet little twat ,i used to park the car in a bp garage as i ferret in a rough part of town {see past posts}this is no bull i had this urge to walk to the petrol pumps 50 yards away and there he is sniffing round a nice 911 ,my ferrets have taste see liveing in north london has made them a bit posh.The point is i mostly ferret on my own and i think if you have a locator and lose a ferret you would give up after an hour or so they are very handy tools i can see that but haveing not used one i can search around for a few hours and not worry to much ,then again i go ferreting with out a mobile and a watch {the wife long story}..sorryt if im wofiling i've had a few .

same here never used a locator once ,but then again the burys i ferret are not that big ,in the past i've had to hang around a few hours but i allways get then back never lost a ferret in 10 years ,the only time i left one was when i took a friends kid out for the day after an hour of waiting for a ferret he wants to go home he's cold wet little twat ,i used to park the car in a bp garage as i ferret in a rough part of town {see past posts}this is no bull i had this urge to walk to the petrol pumps 50 yards away and there he is sniffing round a nice 911 ,my ferrets have taste see liveing in north london has made them a bit posh.The point is i mostly ferret on my own and i think if you have a locator and lose a ferret you would give up after an hour or so they are very handy tools i can see that but haveing not used one i can search around for a few hours and not worry to much ,then again i go ferreting with out a mobile and a watch {the wife long story}..sorryt if im wofiling i've had a few .

makes perfect sense to me K espesialy the last bit! ;)

Not sure if it's been said on here before, but if you have a ferret kill underground and not move on, and the sun is getting low and you're thinking that you'll just have to leave it there for the night-block all the holes.

Block them well and tight and your fert won't be going anywhere. Chances are when you go back the next morning and start unblocking them holes your fert will make it's appearance quicksmart. ;)

I like it more than the Leave The Ferret Box in front of the hole method. With that there's always a chance that the stinker will wander off. If it's blocked up underground you just might rest a little easier.

Of course this won't work on all warrens in all situations. But it's a start. :yes:

( That's called Gaining Experiance. Next time ye set out, ye'll be a More Experianced Ferreter. Ye may even go with a completely fresh mate and, when he says, " Oh look! Let's try this massive warren before we call it a day! There must be hundreds in there! " You'll turn round to him and say; " :rolleyes: Don't be a doughnut! It'll take longer than you know to work that beast. I want my ferrets back in the box and heading for home well before it starts getting towards dusk! ". See? Ye'll impress yeself!)

i dont think its called gaining experiance i think its clled comman sense :yes: who woud put ther ferret to ground not long before dark with no locators :icon_eek::blink:

Edited by allrounder

Never lost one yet but it's always a thought in the back of my mind as soon as they dissapear underground.

As i always say,this is not ane exact sport is it? we're up against mother nature who can spring all sorts of surprises and catch out the semi-domesticated hunter sucha as we are :)

yeah i admit alocators a pain in the hole , the collar catches nets,they can come off and they can cause

instant locating through nerves as soon as the ferts tail disapears. but in my mind i wouldnt leave without one. i try to use it only when im sure ive got to dig not before. i only start to chill when the ferts been down for a good 20 mins then i know they are running deep under and a coney is at home.a lot of guys dig after 5 mins of not seeing their fert.... if i have no bolts and no sign of a fert id probly locate after40-60 mins

But in my opinion my ferts come out, bolt rabits for the net or hawk or gun, graft their little tits off :clapper: so i want to make sure i can

take them all home at the end of the day any way i can. im no fieldcrafts man :icon_redface: when it comes to finding a fert with no collar. so in my eyes thats best for me. but if you can find and dig them without one great. even if i could and had a dog that could mark were my fert was to within an inch id still use one just incase. i prize my ferts as much as the man who prizes his dogs or birds thats my reasons for having one

in answer to your question no i aint lost one

Edited by chay

Forget the gadgets, son. Learn the Old Ways of Field Craft. 'Hunting'. Become a Ferreter.

Well put. i dont enter a ferret after 3pm even in a small bury,ive never come home short of a ferret although on the one occasion i lent a ferret to a so called mate he lost it collar and all :censored:

my dad lost his hob a few year back.it was on my first ferreting trip when i was 4 or 5 and we ferreted what we thought was a three holer but i think he crept out of a bolt hole or he got stuck.the ferret collar we was using was lost aswell.

good hunting

rew

Guest foxtrack

Well put. i dont enter a ferret after 3pm even in a small bury,ive never come home short of a ferret although on the one occasion i lent a ferret to a so called mate he lost it collar and all :censored:

in my book theres two ways you can llose a ferret the first is you put it in a large place and it slips out without you seeing it thats your fault for not paying attention. the second is the ferret falls down a vertical drop and cant get back up as they are crap at climbing and that how you loose the good ones because the shit ferrets havent got the balls to go down the drop if they do go deep down drops you will not get them back without a collar on . but if your ferret has not walked off dont asume its lost all it means is you dont know where it is underground make sure you tighten the collar use fresh batterys but most of all give it time and dont give up after a couple of hours