Using other rabbiting dogs

From my earliest memory we had a black mongrel collie type thing. The result of my grandparents farm bred border collie and the local garage Alsation guard mutt. My mams dog, there are photos of me age six months with the pup on my lap. 'Trixy' (classic name :laugh: ) lived on the couch all her life, the 'living cushion' we called her as kids, never wore a lead or collar and only ventured out to sniff to the front step, to see which dog had pissed up it that day and then only when she thought her speck was 'safe' on the couch.

Come the summer and it 'altered slightly', we spent all our summers in a rusting caravan up the coast in Formby. Trixy was never in, still without any form of 'bondage', she spent all day following us kids, then hunting bunnys over the dunes when rain stopped play, she would return, sometimes hourly, with a rabbit, which she would present, like a field trial lab, to my well pissed off mother, then we'd have to keep her in the van whilst mam let it go over the back.

Came back in some states sometimes, staggering, both from the run and the heat but rabbit handed over, lap of water and she was gone again!

Used to roll over laughing when mam was 'presented' whilst 'gabbing' to some of the posh, (anyone who had a house with a garden,) women off the site an me mam would go into her "Ooh err" telephone voice, stating she'd never done anything like this before......! :laugh:

You know, lookin back, Trixy would have done me proud..... If I could only have got a collar on her......! ;)

Shame its not stil like that down there, too many bunny huggers round there. Trixy sounded like a great dog for a kid to have about, we were never allowed one as kids. I got my first terrier when I left school and started keepering and it was the best £100 i've ever spent in my life, if I could buy another the same as the scruffy old bugger or have our time again i'd spend ten times that amount :cry:

All our pack as kids consisted of mongrels mine was a lab/coliie that was a brilliant dog in cover and as kids [bANNED TEXT] we hunted the shit beds were the rabbits would burrow into the heaps of dry recycled shit we would watch her some time for ages after blocking the exsits wile she dug to a rabbit.The other noted one was a spaniel/collie that got to my cousins whippet that in turn produced some cracking scroungeing dogs then again looking back i dont any one was sure wat they were crossed with as most mongrels were picked up from the local shelter were people would dump pups after a dog had got to their bitch and most of us just called them crosses with pedigree they most looked like.atb dell

the first dogs i started hunting with was a rough hair mangey looking terrier and a german shepherd the terrier would kill most things and the german shepherd was only good for picking up mixy rabbits although he once managed to pull a roe buck god knows how but i felt like i was the best hunter in the world :11:

A big stocky jack russel bitch called snoopy, best bushing dog ive ever owned, she was that quick through cover she would often catch the rabbits when she did this you had to be quick as she would eat them. I shot loads of game over her. she was phsyco though with dogs cats people and if she got bored livestock. not a very balanced dog but a helluva hunter

My cousins had a labxcollie too that did a lot of rats aswell as rabbits in the daytime, class wee dog and very quick even though it was a fat enough dog. My granda once told me him and his brothers had a collie that would mark a burrow and then follow the sound of the rabbits thumping and dig down, they'd take over and usually find a few rabbits in a dead end. He told me another time of 2 collies they had that used to go hunting up the mountain from the house after hare, one would follow up the scent and rise it and the other would cut it off, and they'd take the hares back down to the house. Now I have a pet golden retriever aswell as my lurcher, she's killed squirrels, cats, rats and a few fledglings, I'd nearly guarantee she'd do a fox if she could catch it. A good few years ago now I had a siberian husky aswell, she could jump straight up to look you in the eye, her yard used to be littered with swallows, a few she used to catch in the open but most she'd wait until they came out through the wee windows on the briar, I've said this before and called a liar but I swear to God it's true.

I remember been out late one summers evening and my male collie barking and growling at something in a thick holly hedgerow. I ran over and managed to look under the hedge to see what was going off, i couldn't believe it, he was squaring upto a big frog :wacko:

I remember been out late one summers evening and my male collie barking and growling at something in a thick holly hedgerow. I ran over and managed to look under the hedge to see what was going off, i couldn't believe it, he was squaring upto a big frog :wacko:

haha, sounds like something our collie would do! she just will not pick anything up, shes easily fast enough to catch bunnies, but she just wont.

ATB

Molie

Over the years had 4 border collies, 1 collieXhuntaway and an australian cattle dog.

All the collies would take rabbits and fox.

The cattle dog was a canny hunter, bit short on the leg but had the knack of putting herself in the right place. Caught hell of a lot of rabbits the terriers flushed.

The huntaway cross lived for her hunting, used to jam herself in places the terriers couldnt get to.