Bumble-Bee nest re-location

I was called in last week to get rid of a bumble-bee nest in a compost heap that wanted moving. I said i wouldn't kill them but would try and take the entire nest out and re-locate it. Luckily the front of the compost bin came off so it was a simple matter to dig out the nest and place it in a bucket and transfer it to the base of a tree.......complete with as much original covering as possible. Although it was a major disruption to the nest, it appears to be still very active a week later........so it is possible to re-locate without having to kill any much needed bees.........got stung twice on the legs though for my troubles ungrateful buggers.......!

post-12022-127542626949_thumb.jpg

post-12022-127542634653_thumb.jpg

I honestly cannot say that I have ever seen such a thing as a bumble bee nest Rolfe - I thought that they were solitary creatures.

Thanks for showing that

OTC

They are facinating creatures OTC and I refuse to kill them as they do so much good for the gardens. The nests are not usually very big.......this one was about the size of a good grapefruit and maybe contained 100 or so bees. It is something not too many people ever get to see......so thought i would show what a nest actually looks like.

I honestly cannot say that I have ever seen such a thing as a bumble bee nest Rolfe - I thought that they were solitary creatures.

Thanks for showing that

OTC

They are facinating creatures OTC and I refuse to kill them as they do so much good for the gardens. The nests are not usually very big.......this one was about the size of a good grapefruit and maybe contained 100 or so bees. It is something not too many people ever get to see......so thought i would show what a nest actually looks like.

well done.. :victory:

Bumbles have taken residence in one of the bird boxes this year. It will be interesting to watch them and maybe have a good look next spring once I'm sure the nest is abandoned.

felt a bit brave this afternoon so got close with the camera.

post-2748-127575122935_thumb.jpg