this was frightning

had the fright of my life this afternoon

been out all day with the cocker and asbo the plummer picking up on my local shoot

asbo was put in the car to rest at dinner time (she is only 5 month old)

the cocker will work day and night, anyway we were picking up ducks on the last drive when brooke started to tire, we finished the drive and went back to base

brooke did not look right at all, so i checked her over to find she had torn some skin on her back leg. so we went home. got her out of the car and put her down, she fell over and stayed down

so we went in the house to dry her off. she got worse she looked as if she was going to die.

rushed her to the vets . 5 vets got straight on to her she had got hypothermia and her blood sugar was very very low. they injected her with insulin and put her on a drip of glucose.her tempreture did not regrester anything at all. within half a hour she was sat up on the table and looking better

she is now at home and on the mend. got to go back tomorrow to have the leg stiched up.

they did not expect her to come home again she was that close to death.

thanks go out to the vets.

stu

next time you take her out working give her some food before hand and take a mars bar to give her through the day. sounds like her blood sugars went to low with all the work which would have made her temp drop. she,ll be allright next time. try taking a flask of warm milk with some sugar added.

well done mate,ur quick action obviously saved her,mars bars are great,you can also give her some glucose half way thru the day,hopefully you wont be in this situation again anyway but its frightening when something like this happens!!!

best of luck mate,hope for a speedy recovery!!!

Hello lucky vet bill & good new's about the dog.I work 3 lab's & recently got a cocker but i do alot of beating etc & i feed in the morning before the day & get cheap tesco custard in a cartin & give at lunch time as custard is high in glucose.I then feed & dry dog's & take indoor's for a heat till bed time.

Glad she recovered mate! :good:

but dont forget chocolate (including mars bars) can be lethal to dogs,

Quote from internet. -

"Dogs are sensitive to a class of chemicals of which caffeine and theobromine are two members. Dogs are unable to excrete these chemicals known as methylxanthines as efficiently as humans are. The half-life of these compounds is about 2 hours in a human but in a dog it is more like 18 hours. What happens in dogs is that the compounds travel via the liver and bile duct into the intestine where they are converted back into the original methylxanthines for another circuit through the dog's system. This process keeps on repeating itself so that instead of excreting the substance the dog keeps on repoisoning itself.

It has been calculated that the lethal dose of sweet milk chocolate for a dog is 2 ounces per kilo (2.2lb) of body weight. For an 11lb dog this would be about 10 ozs. The Dark Chocolate is considered to be at least 10 times as lethal. A 22lb dog could die from the methylxanthines contained in just 2 ounces of plain dark chocolate. Chocolate can also irritate the gastrointestinal tract causing diarrhoea and possibly gastric bleeding. These symptoms can occur up to two days after the chocolate is eaten."

Saying that though I carry penguin bars for me or the dog when beating but in small amount it seems ok.

The custurd sounds like a great idea through, given at lunchtime, can be given cold or warm going to have to try that cheers!

Hello all.Bullmastiff you covered very well what i should have stated why i use custard & never chocolate as this is well knowen that chocolate is very toxic to dog's.My dog's get there custered cold there not that fussy well i dont give them the option i get it in a carten like fresh juice 1's.

next time you take her out working give her some food before hand and take a mars bar to give her through the day. sounds like her blood sugars went to low with all the work which would have made her temp drop. she,ll be allright next time. try taking a flask of warm milk with some sugar added.

Dont only take some sweet stuff for your dogs either,low blood sugar can come on in people just as fast.

Symptoms are,thirst,sweating,shaking,craving sweet food,short temper,dizziness,lethargy.If you do nothing about these symptoms you could well fall unconcious. :alcoholic:

I carry boiled sweets and dextros tablets with me when i am out,for me and my dogs.Porridge is a good cheap breakfast which gives long slow release of energy,that and regular bites of food is good enough for man and beast. :good::good:

:drink: One more thing :drink: Drinking lots of alchohol will magnify low blood sugar :cry::cry:

So keep your dogs off the Ale the night before :D

Dont only take some sweet stuff for your dogs either,low blood sugar can come on in people just as fast.

Symptoms are,thirst,sweating,shaking,craving sweet food,short temper,dizziness,lethargy.If you do nothing about these symptoms you could well fall unconcious. :alcoholic:

I carry boiled sweets and dextros tablets with me when i am out,for me and my dogs.Porridge is a good cheap breakfast which gives long slow release of energy,that and regular bites of food is good enough for man and beast. :good::good:

:drink: One more thing :drink: Drinking lots of alchohol will magnify low blood sugar :cry::cry:

So keep your dogs off the Ale the night before :D

it's funny you should say that nelson that has happened to me a few times about 3 times i think i felt all weak and sweating and felt cold and had a great urge to eat some sweet chocolate i had a bottle of lucozade in the car and that's all i could think about when i grabbed it i drunk the whole bottle in 1 go after about 5 min's i felt myself coming back around so you say it is low blood sugar :signthankspin:

:clapper: King old lad,that is excactly what it is.And if you think back i bet you have been like that all your life,i have.

It is a form of diabettes,hypoglocemia(spelling) low blood sugar,hyperglocemia high blood sugar.The high one your body (pancreas i think) cannot get rid of sugar and the low one cant get enough sugar, in laymens terms.

Both forms can be triggered on a knife edge or can go well low/or high without any effects,depends who you speak to.

Hope it helps anyway :drink:

no no no ive seen a springer dead within an hour after eating just one section of a mars bar,terrible to see in a beaters wagons!! :cry:

some real good reply's coming back

thanks lads, and lasses.keep um coming

i like the idea of the custard

top dog men on our shoot say i should feed some chocolate but i dont think i will.

trouble is, this is the first time i have ever seen or heard of this happening and she had gone to far to eat anything a drip was the only way to get anything in to her.

the more i sit down and think of it the more i can see that something was not quit right and she was telling me so.

i will now what to look for next time (hope there aint a next time)

1 she had slowed down

2 she hesitated at the water side

3 she went in the water but had a job to get out

hope this helps other people out

she is now running about like nothing has ever happened to her

stu

ive had working dogs thirty years and never had any drop dead or even go poorly from eating a bit of chocolate it would have brought your dog back before you needed the vets. mussels if you seen a spanial drop dead within the hour from eating chocolate then it must have had cyanide in it. :hmm::hmm:

ive had working dogs thirty years and never had any drop dead or even go poorly from eating a bit of chocolate it would have brought your dog back before you needed the vets. mussels if you seen a spanial drop dead within the hour from eating chocolate then it must have had cyanide in it. :hmm::hmm:

well the bloke eating the rest was fine.

chocolate is highly toxic to some dogs, trouble is when you find out it is going to have a problem with it, its to late. saying that my old lab was fine with it.