fresh water eels.

im counting the days away until i can get on the rivers eel fishing again and hoping it will be warmer as i dont fancy sitting under the stars freezing my plums off.

there is a canal that runs alongside the river i target the eels for and from what ive been told,this too holds a few but as the towpath is very narrow,i couldnt comfortably get my kit spread out nor put a chair out its that narrow :wallbash: have any of you lads hooked any eels yet?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught one before on a cube of luncheon meat while fishing for carp, b*****d had my end tackle in knots in seconds and managed to cover my one arm and chest in slime it was only about 1 1/2 foot long too. you gotta get yourself watching the sunday morning fishing shows lots of tips about fishing canals, one tip i found useful was to put a light coloured bait bucket or posibly a sign about 20 yards either side of your chosen spot if your fishing on a bend in the canal so cyclists know you are there. another tip was when fishing for eels use two rods one baited with a tiny dead bait and one with a worm bait to see which the resident eels prefer then switch over to the one that catches.

Richard

Earth ! i know eels take anything but what BAIT DO YOU USE :hmm: theres a lake by me that has some BIG LUMPS in there might have a go :thumbs:

half a small roach is good for big eels ,in tidal estuarys we use peeler crad and fresh waters rivers and streams garden worms

as scent said peeler crabs in salt water and worms in fresh water :notworthy:

and heres my tip of the day : :thumbs:

when you are eel fishing take a few old newspapers with you, when you have hooked and reteived your eel.......1/2 a newspaper folded double in your hand is perfect for grabbing and holding your eel......instantly soaks up the slime and gives you a firm hold to de-hook.......makes life much easier and really works. :thumbs:

we have an ornamental garden in our village, which is topped from morecambe bay....there is a small inlet approx 2ft square in the side of the retaining wall , when where kids we used to sit above it ...and whilst looking over the edge we used to spear the fresh eels coming in with a fork tied onto a stick....them where the days :victory:

all most all of the eels in this area were taken by mink in the 80s/90s i think ,never recoverd , pity cause they are the best eating i know ,cut in to 3/4ins lengths,roll in seasond flour slowly fried in pan ,fantastic !!!

i did a nights Eeling last night on a stillwater was using small roach tail sections. had 6 very good but missed runs :wallbash: after the second missed run i used size 12 trebbles and still missed the runs :icon_eek: i am gonna wait another few weeks til the temps rise atb tom.

the lake i fish has some nice eels in there

ive caught them on very mmall roach worm

but i find the killer is PRAWNS

they seem to love them :thumbs:

not tried them yet, sounds good im gonna give them a go next time :thumbs:

As a kid we used to catch them in an Estuary on anything me Mum had in the fridge lol Chicken, Bacon, Cheese and off corse the Garden worm but they wern't in the fridge lol.

Small shrimp was also good.

Did you all know that the fresh water Eel could well be wiped out within the next few years and I'm pretty sure it is now on the endangered list!!

Earth ! i know eels take anything but what BAIT DO YOU USE :hmm: theres a lake by me that has some BIG LUMPS in there might have a go :thumbs:

ive now fished for eels around 17yrs.not had anything huge,biggest near 6lb.ive tried all sorts of baits but i find worm or fish sections work ok,never tried a prawn though,may try one or a crayfish section.

As a kid we used to catch them in an Estuary on anything me Mum had in the fridge lol Chicken, Bacon, Cheese and off corse the Garden worm but they wern't in the fridge lol.

Did you all know that the fresh water Eel could well be wiped out within the next few years and I'm pretty sure it is now on the endangered list!!

watched mick brown fishing for them,as i used to a lot as a kid in the grand union canal,he mentioned vibrio disease,to do with water temp amongst other thing,i think

watched mick brown fishing for them,as i used to a lot as a kid in the grand union canal,he mentioned vibrio disease,to do with water temp amongst other thing,i think

i believe its something to do when they migtate to the sagastan(spelt wrong no doubt :icon_redface: )sea.i know its to do with their swim bladder(possibly a parasite)exsploding when they drop down the levels.not yet nor i doubt will be on the endangered list but there certainly isnt as many as years ago.the best session i had was on a new venue last year,17 eels on a 36hr session.was non stop action,smallest around a pound,the rest were around 3lb.i tend not to sleep when on them at night and during this particular session the non stop action did help me from nodding off plus the beer helped and the fact i could hear vixen calling cubs,watched a mink hunting etc.

i believe its something to do when they migtate to the sagastan(spelt wrong no doubt :icon_redface: )sea.i know its to do with their swim bladder(possibly a parasite)exsploding when they drop down the levels.not yet nor i doubt will be on the endangered list but there certainly isnt as many as years ago.the best session i had was on a new venue last year,17 eels on a 36hr session.was non stop action,smallest around a pound,the rest were around 3lb.i tend not to sleep when on them at night and during this particular session the non stop action did help me from nodding off plus the beer helped and the fact i could hear vixen calling cubs,watched a mink hunting etc.

your right,remember now,fair play to you mate :thumbs:

There are strong concerns that the European eel population might be devastated by a new threat: Anguillicola crassus, a foreign parasitic nematode. This parasite from East Asia (the original host is Anguilla japonica) appeared in European eel populations in the early 1980s. Since 1995 it also appeared in the United States (Texas and South Carolina), most likely due to uncontrolled aquaculture eel shipments. In Europe, eel populations are already from 30% to 100% infected with the nematode. Recently it was shown that this parasite inhibits the function of the swimbladder as a hydrostatic organ (Wuertz et al. 1996). As an open ocean voyager, eels need the carrying capacity of the swimbladder (which makes up 3–6% of the eel's bodyweight) to cross the ocean on stored energy alone.

and its sargasso sea :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

your right,remember now,fair play to you mate :thumbs:

There are strong concerns that the European eel population might be devastated by a new threat: Anguillicola crassus, a foreign parasitic nematode. This parasite from East Asia (the original host is Anguilla japonica) appeared in European eel populations in the early 1980s. Since 1995 it also appeared in the United States (Texas and South Carolina), most likely due to uncontrolled aquaculture eel shipments. In Europe, eel populations are already from 30% to 100% infected with the nematode. Recently it was shown that this parasite inhibits the function of the swimbladder as a hydrostatic organ (Wuertz et al. 1996). As an open ocean voyager, eels need the carrying capacity of the swimbladder (which makes up 3–6% of the eel's bodyweight) to cross the ocean on stored energy alone.

and its sargasso sea :thumbs:

"Sargasso"- :tongue2: ..just remember my father telling me as he does most things.i feel elver fishing doesnt help the position of our eel population :no: