Didnt i get deleted and ignored for suggesting this? All i was saying is that the guy was worried about loosing the permission to hunt rabbits if he didnt gas them all which i thought was kind of counter logical. But maybe i'm mising something - ferreting (in season) is efficient, safe and cheap as well as FUN.

Sorry if i upset you Andrew.

Jai.

Not as efficient as gassing, alot less time consuming and its not fun he is after its a job he has to do.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who said anything about sport or hunting? Can't people fecking read, this section is titled - Snaring, Trapping & Pest Control.

Actually he said he needed to reduce rabbits to keep permission. So its not a job its preserving the ability to hunt the land. I just wondered what he was going to hunt after gassing the rabbits. Im HONESTLY not trying to cause an argument. Obviously gassing is obviously MORE efficient however the need to be licenced and buy the gas and also seeing as he is asking on a forum what to use and how to use it im guessing he isnt experianced or confident in its use and it IS a poisned gas. . . . .needs to be considered.

atb

Jai.

Actually he said he needed to reduce rabbits to keep permission. So its not a job its preserving the ability to hunt the land. I just wondered what he was going to hunt after gassing the rabbits. Im HONESTLY not trying to cause an argument. Obviously gassing is obviously MORE efficient however the need to be licenced and buy the gas and also seeing as he is asking on a forum what to use and how to use it im guessing he isnt experianced or confident in its use and it IS a poisned gas. . . . .needs to be considered.

atb

Jai.

No arguments here mate but on his 1st post he actually says 'get rid'. To many people mixing up sport with pest control on here, granted its not everyones cup of tea but when a job is asked by the farmer to be done it has to be done. :thumbs:

just for those that obviously dont know, but gassinng rabbits, is'nt done with a bottle of gas, AP tablets are in a sealed container, and loaded into a sealed dispenser, one or two are dropped via the dispenser in the rabbit hole, and the entrance sealed, the dampness in the earth reacts with the tablet, turning it into a gas

Aye i know that, i was just confused by conflict between wanting to carry out an action to keep hunting permission and that action being to 'get rid' of all the quarry on said hunting permission.

and yes stubby i DO know how to gas rabbits, but thank you for the info anyhow.

atb

Jai.

thats sacraledge gassing rabbits ferret or lamp them or use snares but wat a waste of good meat if u gass them tbh your wrong 4 gassing rabbits but there u go some people just dnt care

billy

What's with all the text talk?

Are words like 'for' and 'you' too complicated for you to type?

As for gassing; well, it does have it's place in pest control, but now is the wrong time of year.

For any rabbit control programme to be successful, the main thrust of control needs to be outside the breeding season to reduce the population of viable breeding adults.

Control during the summer months will have some short term impact, but the rabbits will breed faster to fill the void created.

Another good reason not to gas during the summer months is that a large number of the holes will be obscured by undergrowth, and unless you treat every hole the treatment is unlikely to have any real effect.

Aluminium Phosphide compounds are on the 'poisons list' and may only be sold to those who can prove that they have been suitably trained.

Edited by Matt the Rat

One permission i got late on has a big rabbit problem and we kept ferreting it till the very end of april the farmer was pleased but i thought we where just clearing a area for the surronding rabbits to move into and breed bigger and better litters. Anybody else have views along these lines ??

One permission i got late on has a big rabbit problem and we kept ferreting it till the very end of april the farmer was pleased but i thought we where just clearing a area for the surronding rabbits to move into and breed bigger and better litters. Anybody else have views along these lines ??

of course they will, remove urban foxes and more take their place, the same goes for most animals, were no different, get a few empty houses in a nice area, you'll soon get squatters

I dont entirely agree with that Stubbs me old mate, as you know i dispatch quite a few foxes in town and this conversation comes up quite often, there IS a void or a vacuum created when you remove a certain problem species but there isn't a massive queue wating to fill it... natural territorial expansion is a factor but as a case in point i've removed foxes (for example) from gardens and land in London and they've never had a problem since.

Also i think its worth mentioning that some of us are in this business (pest control/wildlife masnagement) to earn a living and and its our main line of work but there wouldn't be any point or purpose in doing so if the removal/replacement of problem species was such an issue.

Martin

CHALKIE ,

SOME FOOLS THINK THERES A NEVER ENDING SUPPLY OF RABBITS ETC .............

WE BOTH KNOW THERE ISNT !!!

IAM AN OFTEN VISITOR TO THE DALES AREAS ........ THIS WINTER HAS DECIMATED LARGE AREAS

IT WILL ONLY TAKE A BAD OUTBREAK OF MYXI AND THE PLACE WILL TAKE YRS TO GET BACK TO NORMAL ......

THEN , A FEW DAYS AGO ........... I SAW SOME KIDS OUT FERRETING ............... FECKIN...... IDJEETS !!

DID I TELL THEM WHAT THOUGHT OF THEM ? ................... YOU COULD SAY THAT .... :laugh:

I OFTEN SHAKE MY HEAD IN WONDER AT THE PRATTS OUT HUNTING IN THE SUMMER ....... BECAUSE COME WINTER MANY NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE

WHEN I WAS A KID ........... ANYONE WHO SAW A LADDIE OUT RABBIT DURING THE BREEDING SEASON WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIM A KICK UP THE ARSE ...... NOW IT SEEMS THE NORM :thumbdown:

NOW SUMMER BUTCHERY OF DOES FILLED WITH YOUNG IS CALLED ....................... PEST CONTROL .................

MAKES ME WONDER WHAT THE HELL IVE BEEN DOING ALL WINTER ????? :hmm:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

CHALKIE ,

SOME FOOLS THINK THERES A NEVER ENDING SUPPLY OF RABBITS ETC .............

WE BOTH KNOW THERE ISNT !!!

IAM AN OFTEN VISITOR TO THE DALES AREAS ........ THIS WINTER HAS DECIMATED LARGE AREAS

IT WILL ONLY TAKE A BAD OUTBREAK OF MYXI AND THE PLACE WILL TAKE YRS TO GET BACK TO NORMAL ......

THEN , A FEW DAYS AGO ........... I SAW SOME KIDS OUT FERRETING ............... FECKIN...... IDJEETS !!

DID I TELL THEM WHAT THOUGHT OF THEM ? ................... YOU COULD SAY THAT .... :laugh:

I OFTEN SHAKE MY HEAD IN WONDER AT THE PRATTS OUT HUNTING IN THE SUMMER ....... BECAUSE COME WINTER MANY NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE

WHEN I WAS A KID ........... ANYONE WHO SAW A LADDIE OUT RABBIT DURING THE BREEDING SEASON WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIM A KICK UP THE ARSE ...... NOW IT SEEMS THE NORM :thumbdown:

NOW SUMMER BUTCHERY OF DOES FILLED WITH YOUNG IS CALLED ....................... PEST CONTROL .................

MAKES ME WONDER WHAT THE HELL IVE BEEN DOING ALL WINTER ????? :hmm:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Well Said!

I've spoke to keepers and they say the rabbits have taken a hit this year on the higher ground, with a big drop in their numbers....the lower ground has not been affected at all barely in comparison...

One things for sure, nature has tried and man has tried, you will never wipe out the rabbit, they are born survivors.. I can't quite grasp the idea of the pest control of rabbits during spring/summer being called butchery. Rabbits breed all year round, they have an open season and are a major pest, the same reason muntjac were given an open season, for there ability to breed all year round. If someone asks me to control rabbits, any time of year I will, and I'll use any legal method available to do so..thats control, NOT sport....

I'm sure some will agree/disagree but we all have our opinions and ways... I can remember watching Glenn's first rabbit snaring video when he's controlling rabbits with peg snares in June, and Colin's DVD controlling out of the winter season, I'd call that control of an agricultural pest.... I think it's differentiating between sport and control.... There's a big difference...

YER RIGHT IAN

THERES A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PEST CONTROL AND SPORT ...................

HOWEVER IN MY OPINION ..............

IF A PEST CONTROLLER CANNOT CONTROL THE RABBITS ETC IN THE WINTER ...... THEN THEY EITHER HAVE TOO MUCH LAND TO CONTROL EFFECTIVELY OR ARE POOR AT THE JOB ................

AND AS IVE TOLD GLENN MANY TIMES ....................

IT DOESNT MATTER TO ME WHO THE FECKIN HELLS DOING THE SUMMER CONTROLLING ....... I STILL DONT AGREE WITH IT !!!

FOR THE REASONS ABOVE ...................

PERSONALLY I HOPE THE POWERS ....... INSTEAD OF FECKIN ABOUT WITH TESTING TRAPS AND SNARES IN THE NAME OF ANIMAL WELFARE THAT HAVE BEEN DOING THE JOB FOR GENERATIONS ........... PUT A CLOSED SEASON INTO PLACE ...... FROM APRIL TO AUGUST

ANY MAN LOOKING AFTER SOME LAND FROM SEPTEMBER TILL MARCH THAT CANNOT CONTOL THEM TO SUITABLE NUMBERS NEEDS A NEW JOB .......... AFTER ALL IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE !! :clapper:

AFRAID WE ARE JUST GOING TO HAVE TO AGREE TO DISAGREE OVER THIS ONE IAN .......... :whistling:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Closed season for rabbit ?? Thats one thing that will never happen... Messers control them all year round, a true master only hunts in winter and neigh on eradicates the full population, packing their bags over summer, breeding elsewhere, never causing crop damage and never to return until the next winter......whistling.gif

Don't get me on the rocket science bit againlaugh.gif .....If someone can be taught the essentials in a day or two by someone with a lifetimes practical experience like pegandgun and go out and catch rabbits after, then its not rocket science.... its passing on knowledge, and that person either has the skill to become good or he's cack handed and never going to grasp it, its people learning from others experiences and failures, as you say that would take them years maybe unguided, without a good teacher.....saying that I'd give my left nad if someone could teach me the raw basics of rocket science in a year never mind days ... do you get the overall point I'm getting at......

I agree lets agree to disagree....yes.giflaugh.gif You know I love you DW kiss.gif