Which are you?

theres a 3rd type and this is the rarest type of all...... the lurcherman that culls dogs that dont make the grade and starts a fresh with another, the higher his standards the more he will go through...... wink.gif

........An all too common type. They usually fail with most dogs and are called messers. The only difference between type 3 and type 2 is a shotgun. :doh:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

theres a 3rd type and this is the rarest type of all...... the lurcherman that culls dogs that dont make the grade and starts a fresh with another, the higher his standards the more he will go through

Tbh I think your wrong. Imo theres the proper lurcher man who will not hesitate in getting rid the poor lurchers but will keep the good ones. He will go out and try to get good numbers, not for baggin

some dont make the grade though no matter how good the trainer.. its rare but does happen and in that case then they should never be passed onto working homes only pet or pts!

Guest stewie

theres a 3rd type and this is the rarest type of all...... the lurcherman that culls dogs that dont make the grade and starts a fresh with another, the higher his standards the more he will go through...... wink.gif

........An all too common type. They usually fail with most dogs and are called messers. The only difference between type 3 and type 2 is a shotgun. :doh:

well said that man!!

All my dogs will always be for life. As for good dog men that pass a dog on as a pet, well thats just they can't make a good dog out of it in most circumstances. I don't know what some people expect out of a dog. Most dogs will make good workers, very few fail through fault of their own...fact.

My dogs are for life.My best friends.They ask for little & give you everythig.I think if the dog wont work how you want try a different aproach.youve just got to find what thier strengths are & work on that.One of mine is good in cover but you couldnt lamp with him.If he missed the rabbit hed be of with his nose to the ground all across the feild.Its taken 3 years but he now stays just in front of me,finds them with his nose & i pick up with lamp.Its been frustrating at times but worth it.

good thread, some interesting comments, my dogs are not just a hobby they,re a way of life, and i think it all boils down to one question, are you a dogman, ? or just a man with a dog?, i have never swapped or sold, all dogs are different and it depends what you want from a dog.

Could it be that once upon a time to own a poor performing dog wasn't financially viable?

Maybe in the past the point of owning a lurcher was to provide food for the table?

Nowdays, whilst many dogs do provide food for their owners, do many people rely on it to survive?

In this day and age, should anyone buy any dog unless you can care for it throughout it's life?

I think not..... :hmm:

Edited by loveless

I agree with what you typed in ur first sentence but, those you go on to describe that cull ALOT of good dogs in there hurried urge to get a world beater of a dog that most only desire to inflate there ego's ain't up to much , a man should be happy with a good dog, a one that tries it's best and gives 100%, not to get rid of it because it's not quite as good as the world beater that joe bloggs has or claims to have. There a animal, just like us, not a feckin machine...

I've got a 1/2 jack russell x 1/2 lurcher,ok not the best x i no but he doze my job for me,he is 18moth now and will not stop hunting on.Were i live i can onley have 1 dog so if he doze not stop it he will have to go to a pet home,but i will give him till he is 3-4.I am not the best dogman at traning so i will give it a lot of time we are both in it togeher,He is my 1st lurcher,but i dont think pepol give dogs the time it can take.But that is just me and i am as green as the grass lol all the best :thumbs:

Good thread so far.. :yes:

First off, I think there should be a distinction between those who pass on their failed stock as a 'world beater', and those who cull.

My dogs are more mooching partners than dedicated game killers, so I'd put myself firmly into option '1' in the original post. I haven't the time, energy or health to give 100% to a dog to get it to the very top of it's game, but if I did I'd like to think I could do it with the proper ruthlessness & dedication that would be needed.