springer or cocker or sprocker

Hi all, i know this topic may have died a death many times over, but i would be interested in your personal opinions on which you favour and why.

I work two jack russells for flushing rabbits for my lurcher, they are good at their job and work well in the thick bramble. Occasionally one of my jacks goes to ground, something that i don't want her to do. Now, i'm thinking a long way a head but i was wondering which would you advise to be the best to work along side a lurcher for working bramble to push rabbits out, a cocker or a springer. Obviously due to working small terriers i was wondering if the size of a springer would affect it working tight bramble. I was also wondering what the temperaments of these dogs are like as they are also going to be family dogs. Thanks wuyang

I have kept a small type springer now for more than 25 years the strain i keep are realy small and the larger males out of the breeding although been tireless hard hunting workers dont seem to go through cover faster than the small bitches due to their size some times makeing the rabbit keep moving along in the cover rather than bolt streight away with the dog behind it.I find the temprements of the springers i have and owned fantastic no fighting or being a nuicsence with other dogs and 100pct trust worthy with kidsthumbs.gif

I have kept a small type springer now for more than 25 years the strain i keep are realy small and the larger males out of the breeding although been tireless hard hunting workers dont seem to go through cover faster than the small bitches due to their size some times makeing the rabbit keep moving along in the cover rather than bolt streight away with the dog behind it.I find the temprements of the springers i have and owned fantastic no fighting or being a nuicsence with other dogs and 100pct trust worthy with kidsthumbs.gif

What size do the females of strain make?

What size do the females of strain make?

About the size of a cocker personaly i think way back their probably was some cocker blood in them.atb dell

think all will do the job as good as another, its the eagerness, haven't owned a cocker but heard alot of stories that they will only bramble bash if something is there, where as a springer will do it anyway...

Both breeds are great with children, but cockers are supposed to be the easier of the two breeds to switch off and settle in the house.

I would go with what you like most, aswell as them being out of bramble bashers..

Dell I am itching to see the strain you keep, my bitch is fairly small also, and she has a huge thirst for bramble i can't keep her out of them, your line is predominately from "Quarrybrae" if memory serves me right?? Will you be having a litter in the near future?

All 3 will do the job just as well as each other AS LONG AS THEY ARE FROM DECENT WORKING LINES

You will pay much more for a cocker than a springer and then about as much for a sprocker from most breeders (criminal in my opinion).

Therefore i would say that a nice springer would be the way forward. Not as expensive as a cocker but with the work in it and also easier to breed from if you end up with a good one than a sprocker.

Dont count out a bigger terrier though that wont go to ground.

There agian i have a cocker and wouldnt have anything else! but he is for shooting

I would have a good springer but i would pay for a good cocker!

Dan

edit: i think its down entirely to the individual dogs with the calm nature especially in the house. my cocker never sits still and is a genuine pain in the arse. My girlfriends likes nothing more than sitting with you for hours.

Edited by Dan Newcombe

think all will do the job as good as another, its the eagerness, haven't owned a cocker but heard alot of stories that they will only bramble bash if something is there, where as a springer will do it anyway...

Both breeds are great with children, but cockers are supposed to be the easier of the two breeds to switch off and settle in the house.

I would go with what you like most, aswell as them being out of bramble bashers..

Dell I am itching to see the strain you keep, my bitch is fairly small also, and she has a huge thirst for bramble i can't keep her out of them, your line is predominately from "Quarrybrae" if memory serves me right?? Will you be having a litter in the near future?

I am considering breeding a litter next year as my oldest is ten and her daughter is 5 .A lad on the site has a pup i bred last year and is pleased with it i have some photos on photobucket but still carnt suss them out to put on hereicon_redface.gif The bitches arnt much bigger than a leggy terrierthumbs.gif

i was in the same situation last jan decided on a sprocker never had a spaniel before been a joy to train got her on the whistle and very easy to train just read some of the back posts on training and listen to these experienced spaniel chaps wont go far wrong pleased with mine absolutely relentless in brambles wouldnt swap her now proper good little hunting dog atb biza

Found an old pedigree of one of the great great grand dam of the strain i keep.The names on it include quarrybrae farm quarrybrae brook other names on it include mamer mansel massicar mint and some more in red inkthumbs.gif