• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First inspection of the “Cas” bees today, they’ve been in the hive for two weeks now, they were very gentle and stopped on the comb throughout, plenty of capped brood ... couldn’t be better.

Nice set up you ( and the wife) have there  ??. I managed to pick up a swarm last week, can’t beat free bees ??

Got me wife a hive for Xmas now we have 2 hives and a nuke box ( collected a swarm today) , its way to complicated for me just hope she gets me some honey ha 

Posted Images

Note to oneself.......These hive traps are "SHIIIIITE".......(FIREWOOD) :laugh:

Whats up with the traps then mate. I've never even seen one, I like cliping the queen don't go too far even if hey do swarm

Well i went into them as a complete novice, they claim to gurantee one swarm a year if caught in the trap (i cant see this)

A friend has lost a queen due to all the bees deserting the queen and leaving her alone in the trap, (last checked at 3pm)

One of my hives have started building un der the hive (i can only think this is due to the que to land once traps were closed)??

Also Thornes state on there instructions to put them on in may, well if i had have done that i would have lost all my parent queens)

Im not blaming anyone but myself really, things got a bit messy using them for me but i'll overcome and learn from my mistakes.

Wouldnt reccomend really, especialy to a novice like myself as they can stop you from learning the true craft.

ATB D

I extracted my first full super today :boogie: about 25lb of honey.

I ordered a bees on a budget extracter kit from thornes its all plastic and only 2 frame but will do me for a couple of years.

This is what its all about i suppose in the end, although i think i would keep them anyway even if i got no honey.

Quite a sticky job it is.

Note to oneself.......These hive traps are "SHIIIIITE".......(FIREWOOD) :laugh:

Whats up with the traps then mate. I've never even seen one, I like cliping the queen don't go too far even if hey do swarm

Well i went into them as a complete novice, they claim to gurantee one swarm a year if caught in the trap (i cant see this)

A friend has lost a queen due to all the bees deserting the queen and leaving her alone in the trap, (last checked at 3pm)

Have you tried clipping your queens so if you do get an unforseen swarm they shouldn't get too far. it's not failed me yet.

One of my hives have started building un der the hive (i can only think this is due to the que to land once traps were closed)??

Also Thornes state on there instructions to put them on in may, well if i had have done that i would have lost all my parent queens)

Im not blaming anyone but myself really, things got a bit messy using them for me but i'll overcome and learn from my mistakes.

Wouldnt reccomend really, especialy to a novice like myself as they can stop you from learning the true craft.

ATB D

I extracted my first full super today :boogie: about 25lb of honey.

I ordered a bees on a budget extracter kit from thornes its all plastic and only 2 frame but will do me for a couple of years.

This is what its all about i suppose in the end, although i think i would keep them anyway even if i got no honey.

Quite a sticky job it is.

i bet your well chuffed with that mate. I started out with an old 2 frame extractor it did me for a good few years, it dose get to you after a while though I wouldn't want to do 100+ supers through one now though :tongue2: once youv'e used an electric one you'll never look back.

and yes a very sticky job however you do it I always end up plastered in the stuff

great thread , matter of intrest how long does it take from startin a hive to the first extraction of honey.

I think it depends on what you start with, i got a 5 frame nuc end of may last year and only got 1 small jar of honey to taste they spent there time building up, but a stronger nuc or a good year may well be different

This year they just exploded i have split them 4 ways for new hives and have already extracted 25lbs of honey and now have another full super and a half

So i would say realistically the second season :thumbs: .

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...