Light load for 243Win

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The topic header suggests that the OP requires a "light load". I think the OP may well be surprised that there are only a few possibilities out there. Best I have come up with, which is a REAL load

No arguement about the speeds required to make certain bullet weights deer legal, but just pointing out that there is no legal minimum speed for bullets in law!... not semantics, accuracy! There are

Trawl through the web, through advice given to many due experience with their own rifles. There's a lot of folk saying their 1:10 243 doesn't like 100 gr. Hell, neither of mine did. Deker's doesn't, it's not rare for this to be the case!

Nope, never said there was. But there IS debate about the length for 100gr bullets matching a 1:10 twist, because on many rifles they simply will not shoot that type of bullet!

Please support this with factual data.

Hunter Zero , You must know that Logic or his B*tt plug Pecker don't do fact . Trawl through the web ! Traw through their post's and fact is not in evidence . Lots of abuse though :whistling:

Trawl through the web, through advice given to many due experience with their own rifles. There's a lot of folk saying their 1:10 243 doesn't like 100 gr. Hell, neither of mine did. Deker's doesn't, it's not rare for this to be the case!

You're like the dopey half of the chuckle brothers :feck:

What was the COAL?

What was the velocity?

Was the actual twist 1in10?

Which 100 grain bullet was used?

Which powder was used?

Was the reloader capable of producing accurate rounds?

I can trawl through a 1000 posts all made by inexperienced reloaders such as yourself and not really understand what on earth is happening to my reloads.

I'll tell you what, YOU tell me what the most suitable bullet length is for a 1in10 twist barrel? CAN YOU DO THAT? AND IF SO, SHOW ME HOW YOU CAME TO THAT CONCLUTION.

John

Hunter Zero , You must know that Logic or his B*tt plug Pecker don't do fact . Trawl through the web ! Traw through their post's and fact is not in evidence . Lots of abuse though :whistling:

If shit was brains he could fertilise Ethiopia!

On the other hand, he can fill his cases with more powder than will fit, bit like Jesus sharing fish and bread ;) I'll not bother with the knob any more, it's folly to be wise where ignorance it bliss. Off to bed for me, I've a brand new Remington SPS tactical to test up the range tomorrow!

John

Excuse me fuckwits, I have not given either of you personal abuse, just arguments you disagree with.<BR><BR>Kindly refarin from dishing out abuse to me. You both think you know everything there is to know. News for you. You don't.<BR><BR>More news for you, you're both arrogant.<BR><BR>Even more news for you - I really don't give a shit what you say when you're wrong.<BR><BR>You wanna talk about my H414 load? Well I need to make some more of that for a friend of mine as he has had such good results with it that he is begging me for more. But of course it doesn't work and it's impossible to make because some daft computer program says so. Sorry, no, that's bollocks.<BR><BR>Optimal twist for 100gr ain't 1:10, yes, some work, but they be the flat base ones that are a bit rubbish. That makes them a bit marginal for me. I'll stick with the 95SST, as it'll kill anything I need to kill with it. I'll keep cracking on in the real world while you guys sit round Quickload and chew the cud.

ive seen a number of post on the net where people have said there 1 in 10 twist 243 doesnt like 100 grain bullets.

it can be a number of things

imo i think the main reason could be

it says some rifles are a 1 in 10 twist but are they a true 1 in 10.

ive seen post where people have check and said theres are over that. and not a true 1 in 10.

surely if thats the case would this have some bearing on the accuracy of the heavier bullets ?

Edited by jamie g

I'll keep cracking on in the real world while you guys sit round Quickload and chew the cud.

And that's the point. You aways know better.

I took a brand new Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 up the range this morning. The rifle is new, never had a round shot through it. I have never reloaded for the rifle or any other 700's.

I bore sighted the rifle before going up the range. First three shots, .8MOA 6" low. Next three shots bang on the bull, .7MOA.

Reloading isn't full of arcane myth and magic as you would have people believe and it's not full of guess work either. Your inexperience and ignorance will lead you to where ever you go and that's fine.

I and many others will choose the correct bullet, mathematically. Choose the correct powder and reload our rounds. You can, keep guessing and buying different combinations and spending your cash, happy days. I have always been of the frame of mind that the first shot out of a new barrel is the most accurate, after that the barrel degrades. Having to waste my hard earned cash on hundreds of bullets and tubs of powder isn't a big issue but having to waste barrel life working up loads is. I could play around with the .308 load and squeeze .2MOA reductions but hey, it's a deer rifle and I am happy with .8MOA from the very first reloads I made for the rifle. Powder/bullets/primers and even cases can be selected accurately with simple calculations but frankly I couldn't give a toss either, so this really is my last reply to you, you can never come up with meaningful information when pushed, all you can do is follow the crowd like a little lamb and regurgitated the crap that is published and regurgitated by knobs such as yourself. If I could work out how to block your posts, it would have already been done, your a fool.

John

it says some rifles are a 1 in 10 twist but are they a true 1 in 10.

ive seen post where people have check and said theres are over that. and not a true 1 in 10.

surely if thats the case would this have some bearing on the accuracy of the heavier bullets ?

Yes, that's bang on the money Jamie. I have read posts from people who swore to god almighty their rifles are "such and such" a twist when even the manufactures data contradicts them. In one case I had the exact same rifle sat next to me. The poster argued with another poster for days, claiming it was a 1in8, when in fact it was a 1in12 twist.

There are a lot of things to consider when reloading, for example people get so hung up on BC's, yet they don't understand BC's change at different velocities.

The first thing that needs to be understood is that bullet weight has nothing to do with matching the bullet length to the twist rate. Yes it's true to say the heavier the bullet the long it is but this is not always the case, especially with polymer tipped bullets and some hollow points.

Not all 100 grain bullets will group with a 1in10, some rifles simply hate certain bullets due to natural harmonics. I had a Sako that would shoot great with 100 grainers, yet another bullet for exactly the same length and weight from a different manufacture would not group half as well. When I ran concentricity tests the bullets were all over the place.

John

I'll keep cracking on in the real world while you guys sit round Quickload and chew the cud.

And that's the point. You aways know better.

I took a brand new Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 up the range this morning. The rifle is new, never had a round shot through it. I have never reloaded for the rifle or any other 700's.

I bore sighted the rifle before going up the range. First three shots, .8MOA 6" low. Next three shots bang on the bull, .7MOA.

Reloading isn't full of arcane myth and magic as you would have people believe and it's not full of guess work either. Your inexperience and ignorance will lead you to where ever you go and that's fine.

I and many others will choose the correct bullet, mathematically. Choose the correct powder and reload our rounds. You can, keep guessing and buying different combinations and spending your cash, happy days. I have always been of the frame of mind that the first shot out of a new barrel is the most accurate, after that the barrel degrades. Having to waste my hard earned cash on hundreds of bullets and tubs of powder isn't a big issue but having to waste barrel life working up loads is. I could play around with the .308 load and squeeze .2MOA reductions but hey, it's a deer rifle and I am happy with .8MOA from the very first reloads I made for the rifle. Powder/bullets/primers and even cases can be selected accurately with simple calculations but frankly I couldn't give a toss either, so this really is my last reply to you, you can never come up with meaningful information when pushed, all you can do is follow the crowd like a little lamb and regurgitated the crap that is published and regurgitated by knobs such as yourself. If I could work out how to block your posts, it would have already been done, your a fool.

John

No, I don't always know better. In almost every argument we have ever had, I start with , "I did this, and it works" and you say that it can't work because your calculator or your computer or some dusty old book says so. And all I have ever said in reply, is bollocks, because I have done it, I have seen it, I have had it witnessed by many people, and it works.

And here we are again! I have known a lot of people struggle with 100gr bullets in a 1:10 twist rifle (and yes, I do know it's 1:10, that's the published twist for Tikka, Sako, RWS, Howa and others). therefore, while I do accept that others will have success with certain 100gr bullets, I do not accept that 100gr can be the optimum type of bullet for this twist because SO MANY people have had issues.

You talk about selecting your bullet and getting your SPS Tactical working well so fast. Means f**k-all I'm afraid. I had one of those in 223, I made it masses of different handloads and it NEVER shot more than about 1 MOA, even with the ones it hated. So sorry, while your maths is a good basis for starting out, it can never replace real-world trial and error. That's the method I use and in the end, all my rifles shoot bug-hole groups with their favourite loads.

If you want to call me a fool, go on, I really don't care. If you think I can't do what I do because your computer says so, tell you what, get your sorry arse over here and I'll show you.

You talk about selecting your bullet and getting your SPS Tactical working well so fast. Means f**k-all I'm afraid. I had one of those in 223, I made it masses of different handloads and it NEVER shot more than about 1 MOA, even with the ones it hated.

That's the method I use and in the end, all my rifles shoot bug-hole groups with their favourite loads.

Get your sorry arse over here and I'll show you.

:clapper:

Okay, for what it's worth I'll try to be constructive in my reply (yes I was going to be sarcastic).

When I started out reloading, I did as most still do and that was to read books and try to work out what the best bullet would be for my rifle. IIRC it was a Ruger M77 in .223. I still have my range book here. My first attempt was with 21 grains of H322 and a 55 grain V-max. I had no idea about twist rates or powders, I was just reading and honestly thinking what I was reading was right. I couldn't even come close to the groups others claimed to achieve. So I tried other 55 grain bullets again, the groups were crap. Looking back, I had selected a good powder but not the best. I was using RG cases (from a good year) but not the best but most of all I would never be able to group the 55 grain V-max because it was the wrong bullet. I even tried a 60 grain V-max, which gave slightly better results down range, but this added to my confusion. Looking back, if I had been honest with myself I was well and truly lost. This was before the days of the Internet, heck I can remember the 'Jolly Rodger' being freely available on BBS sites. By chance I tried 50 grain V-max and BL©2, well bu**er me, the rifle shot "bug-hole" groups. I had no idea why but it did.

As I progressed with different rifles, it started to annoy me and I did my level best to work out why certain bullets worked, why certain powders worked and so on. Belive me, I have done a LOT of research and testing.

Now I have four steps to reloading and the results will almost always be better than MOA grouping from the start. No, I'll be more exact, always better than MOA as long as the rifle isn't shot out.

Now for the revelation. Will my reloads compete with another shooters "pet-load" NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!! it's a pet load and they will have done a lot of load development to squeeze every last reduction in group size. Do I believe you when you say "all my rifles shoot bug-hole" no, your talking bollocks again. Anyone who has been on the BR circuit will tell you that, but I am sure a lot of sheep will believe you.

What I do say is that if you do a little research, you will produce a very fine load straight away as long as the rifle and you are in good order. You could spend more time developing the load but that's not the point. The point is to produce a stable and accurate load with the minimal of reloading and shooting.

Of course, if you enjoy shooting and reloading, then perhaps you want to reload stacks of ammo and change your barrel every 100 rounds, thats not for me but do not underestimate the accuracy of Quick-load or the Greenhill formula, mocking either shows you to be very inexperienced.

Anyway, enough. I've a chicken to go in the smoker.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

You talk about selecting your bullet and getting your SPS Tactical working well so fast. Means f**k-all I'm afraid. I had one of those in 223, I made it masses of different handloads and it NEVER shot more than about 1 MOA, even with the ones it hated.

That's the method I use and in the end, all my rifles shoot bug-hole groups with their favourite loads.

Get your sorry arse over here and I'll show you.

:clapper:

Okay, for what it's worth I'll try to be constructive in my reply (yes I was going to be sarcastic).

When I started out reloading, I did as most still do and that was to read books and try to work out what the best bullet would be for my rifle. IIRC it was a Ruger M77 in .223. I still have my range book here. My first attempt was with 21 grains of H322 and a 55 grain V-max. I had no idea about twist rates or powders, I was just reading and honestly thinking what I was reading was right. I couldn't even come close to the groups others claimed to achieve. So I tried other 55 grain bullets again, the groups were crap. Looking back, I had selected a good powder but not the best. I was using RG cases (from a good year) but not the best but most of all I would never be able to group the 55 grain V-max because it was the wrong bullet. I even tried a 60 grain V-max, which gave slightly better results down range, but this added to my confusion. Looking back, if I had been honest with myself I was well and truly lost. This was before the days of the Internet, heck I can remember the 'Jolly Rodger' being freely available on BBS sites. By chance I tried 50 grain V-max and BL©2, well bu**er me, the rifle shot "bug-hole" groups. I had no idea why but it did.

As I progressed with different rifles, it started to annoy me and I did my level best to work out why certain bullets worked, why certain powders worked and so on. Belive me, I have done a LOT of research and testing.

Now I have four steps to reloading and the results will almost always be better than MOA grouping from the start. No, I'll be more exact, always better than MOA as long as the rifle isn't shot out.

Now for the revelation. Will my reloads compete with another shooters "pet-load" NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!! it's a pet load and they will have done a lot of load development to squeeze every last reduction in group size. Do I believe you when you say "all my rifles shoot bug-hole" no, your talking bollocks again. Anyone who has been on the BR circuit will tell you that, but I am sure a lot of sheep will believe you.

What I do say is that if you do a little research, you will produce a very fine load straight away as long as the rifle and you are in good order. You could spend more time developing the load but that's not the point. The point is to produce a stable and accurate load with the minimal of reloading and shooting.

Of course, if you enjoy shooting and reloading, then perhaps you want to reload stacks of ammo and change your barrel every 100 rounds, thats not for me but do not underestimate the accuracy of Quick-load or the Greenhill formula, mocking either shows you to be very inexperienced.

Anyway, enough. I've a chicken to go in the smoker.

John

Personal abuse serves no purpose, he has offered to show you, best not to make personal attacks period, but especially when you do not know.....

reloading becomes just more then getting a good load for you rifle each time we b etter our rifle loads we allways ask ourself can we better it.

i can get around 1/2 inch 5 shots with my 22/250 3 shots into maybe abit less. not all the time tho. this is down to my shooting.

i think sometimes you just got to be happy and stick to it. if not its true your be spending loads of cash on different powders bullets and brass.

your prep your brass different and weigh it. and so on and so on.

1/2 to be is more then good enough for what i need.

all i will say is lifes to short to fall out lads. injoy your shooting and get along with each other.