Lurchers and Livestock

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

personally i think you can always teach them when there young its when they start to get killer instinct that they start to look.

Posted Images

Guest DogFaceKillah

no dog is ever 100 in my eyes, the thought will alwaysbe in there head, may it only be a second of thinkin but still its thinking about it! just my view :thumbs:

spot on, i still take my dog or dogs to see stock most days, even if they are mature . never trust them 100% :yes:

Got to disagree, my dogs are 100%. Trust them to the point of death! Where we are and work, there are sheep in every other field. They brush past them "EVERY" day........

the dog may never touch a sheep, but i assure you it will always be i the back of there mind, and if it wasnt id be worried! as it is in the genetic make up of a canine to do so......a dog is never really 100 percent, it can always change :thumbs:

Edited by DogFaceKillah

localy there not alot of sheep in places so we must go and lok for themand get the dogs broken and teach the youing dogs to leave them only way but i must say we dont run usaly were there the odd sheep we give them piece as there plenty arable to run

I can say my dog is 100 % broken without a doubt, she is collie cross, but I can say one thing you can never trust a bull cross

i would have to argue this!!one of the sheep farmers whos ground i use keeps a bull x for a bit of protection for his lambs and sheep at night and day!! its loose to roam were it likes on the farm never once looked at a sheep the wrong way or else im sure you know what would happen!! hes been there nearly 5 years now and ive never heard a bad word about him with the livestock!!! hes used to be a pain in the arse when i went lamping there tagging along but i ring up now and hes put into the pen until im gone!!

I think its absolutely vital really! You can never relax when there off the lead if you dont trust em! Mine knacked one(sheep) when i bought her at 11 months old but shes sound now,well on rabbits anyway the soft bitchwallbash.gifi have 10 year old dog, got two lambs when he were 6 mth old, he bit the ears off my two lambs, tried everything, beat him with dead lamb, he will still bring them down, so just dont go nr them, i think the taste and desire is too strongfor him, xcellent dpg otherwise, and only does it when theres nothing else to chase. whats the best way, so i know for future pups? :wallbash: walje him on lead amongst them, hitting him with lead evrytime he pricks his ears up or looks. :thumbdown:

you can trust your own dog 110%

but all it takes is some lad with you

and a pup to even chase and things

go bad .alot of fox dogs of all breeds will be

stock broken to a point .but a sheep caught in a fence

or if they see another dog chase one they might change their mind

. its a funny thing stock broken more often i hear the dog was stock broken.

leads for me all the way around sheep most farmers prefare it around me

in lamb alot of the season anyway

mack

I think its absolutely vital really! You can never relax when there off the lead if you dont trust em! Mine knacked one(sheep) when i bought her at 11 months old but shes sound now,well on rabbits anyway the soft bitchwallbash.gifi have 10 year old dog, got two lambs when he were 6 mth old, he bit the ears off my two lambs, tried everything, beat him with dead lamb, he will still bring them down, so just dont go nr them, i think the taste and desire is too strongfor him, xcellent dpg otherwise, and only does it when theres nothing else to chase. whats the best way, so i know for future pups? :wallbash: walje him on lead amongst them, hitting him with lead evrytime he pricks his ears up or looks. :thumbdown:

when you get another pup,keep it on a lead or rope 15-20ft long. then let go right by them and if it shows to much attention them ,give it a yank with firm NO. Keep doing this till it stops . With lambs still the same, but it might be a bit harder, as lambs are smaller and (move) differnt to sheep eg bounce around, which alot of dogs pick up on. :yes: You can still do it , just keep a eye on it. I have + do lamp with sheep there, but they are a feckin pain, as most times they get in the dogs way on a rabbit :doh: . I prefer to go where they aint any if possable, as i can catch more rabbits :yes:

when you get another pup,keep it on a lead or rope 15-20ft long. then let go right by them and if it shows to much attention them ,give it a yank with firm NO. Keep doing this till it stops . With lambs still the same, but it might be a bit harder, as lambs are smaller and (move) differnt to sheep eg bounce around, which alot of dogs pick up on. :yes: You can still do it , just keep a eye on it. I have + do lamp with sheep there, but they are a feckin pain, as most times they get in the dogs way on a rabbit :doh: . I prefer to go where they aint any if possable, as i can catch more rabbits :yes:

thats what i tried for 10 yrs mate, a 'no' isnt enough, i beat him its no good, if thrs a hare he wont bother them, he also chases horses but doesnt bite them, thnk hes a lost cause to be stock broken, but hes best runner i ever had on all quarry, think it was that experiience when young triggered his killer instinct, he wont do it all nthe time, just when you dont want it to. :icon_redface: also will kill another dog over his kill. personally i dont think you get a top dog that wont kill chickens, cats, sheep, deer etc.its in them to kill.