Lurchers and Livestock

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

personally i think you can always teach them when there young its when they start to get killer instinct that they start to look.

Posted Images

i think its very important that a lurcher to be stock broken.

iv been lucky that a good friend of mine who is a farmer(also alot of rabbits on his land)

has sheep,egg laying ducks,chickens and pigs.

iv brought mine up around his livestock since they were pups and they have never looked to grab any of his which was good for me as when i got into birds of prey the dogs are sound with them also.

saying that on a walk recently there were a pair of mallard ducks in late evening grazing on some grass.

had one of my dogs off the lead and he looked at em so i gave em the "get em" as we were unusually quite close to them and the dog took the hen mallard on the rise :D

my dogs are good [bANNED TEXT] most stock day and night but they hate sheep in the day dont no why that is an my beedy deer x bitch hates chickens shes had 2 an ducks shes had 1 of mine :wankerzo4: lol an my whettan bull x dont mind them hes out [bANNED TEXT] them all day so i got 2 bring the bitch in :crazy: fools

Its the first major training your dogs need to have before entering any field.. A lurcher isnt any good if it isnt to stock... Whats the point of having a dog that can catch all game then goes and attacks sheep, horses, cows, chickens, hens etc....

I have said to farmers in the past when seeking permission. get your gun, and i'll put them in the field full of sheep, if they worry them you can shoot.. thats 100%..

They have coursed many things through the middle of flocks of sheep.. In fact a pal of mine off here(was with me when i made the offer to farmer about gun), loftie, his dog and mine were on a chase and it headed to a flock of sheep. The sheep being the dicksheads they are scattered and his dog ran straight into it and over the top and carried on with the course, funny to watch but only because it was well trained.....

my bitch has never bothered with any thing, been realy lucky realy but she,s never been intrested in sheep or cattle or birds ,even young lambs when they run right in front of her ,she,ll jump lambs when coarsing sometimes too .she,s even been cut off her run a few times by sheep trying to move out of her way while running and she just breaks off a comes back .been realy lucky with her in that department :)

PICT0714.jpg

PICT0726.jpg

PICT0724.jpg

Edited by dog fox

only saw one dog in thirty years kill a lamb had to be put down . lamb was in bushes dog was chaseing came back lamp got up good nite , easy to break dogs to sheep , not to hard as long as you have a freindly farmer , soon stop a dog chaseing sheep ive had dogs that new [bANNED TEXT] away that they were not game , as they could tell by movement smell etc lamped three dogs through sheep feild picking rabbs up and not one looked a the sheep they new and they dare not , a good thrashing once in a while or a stern row soon lets them no ,and if they are around sheep and see them as pups you can soon give them a row and put them off

personally i think you can always teach them when there young its when they start to get killer instinct that they start to look.

bollocks...

it ain't bollocks runforyourlife,I agree with charlie321,my brother lived on a sheep farm and owned a 3/4 beddy/whippet cross that was broke to sheep from day 1,that never looked at any stock untill it started pulling over charlies(pre-ban)and being on digs,he was 4yr old when I started taking my brother out lamping and stuff,up untill then he'd only caught rats and rabbits,we'd alway's considered him too small to regularly take anything larger,surprised us both by being an absolute demon on charlie,took them singlehanded day or night,that definitely awoke something in him,must of been the beddy in him I think,after a while he took to being a bit dodgy with sheep and if he was'nt getting out regular with me on charlie he started worrying sheep,anyones sheep,so long as he could get to them he would single one out and pin it,my brother tried all the usual with the tup and walking him amongst sheep none of it worked,most farms I worked had sheep on at the time and it became too much one day when he kept running back to a sheep field to worry them rather then bush the fox out of the cover we were there to do,the dog was shot dead in full pursuit of sheep there and then,we put it down to awakening the beddy in him,as a result we've never knowingly kept any beddy crosses since and have had no real problems,but I do keep my dogs close in around sheep,especially once they've entered on charlie,might of just been a one off dog but who knows,atb,wirralman

bollocks...

it ain't bollocks runforyourlife,I agree with charlie321,my brother lived on a sheep farm and owned a 3/4 beddy/whippet cross that was broke to sheep from day 1,that never looked at any stock untill it started pulling over charlies(pre-ban)and being on digs,he was 4yr old when I started taking my brother out lamping and stuff,up untill then he'd only caught rats and rabbits,we'd alway's considered him too small to regularly take anything larger,surprised us both by being an absolute demon on charlie,took them singlehanded day or night,that definitely awoke something in him,must of been the beddy in him I think,after a while he took to being a bit dodgy with sheep and if he was'nt getting out regular with me on charlie he started worrying sheep,anyones sheep,so long as he could get to them he would single one out and pin it,my brother tried all the usual with the tup and walking him amongst sheep none of it worked,most farms I worked had sheep on at the time and it became too much one day when he kept running back to a sheep field to worry them rather then bush the fox out of the cover we were there to do,the dog was shot dead in full pursuit of sheep there and then,we put it down to awakening the beddy in him,as a result we've never knowingly kept any beddy crosses since and have had no real problems,but I do keep my dogs close in around sheep,especially once they've entered on charlie,might of just been a one off dog but who knows,atb,wirralman

nah sorry..... the dog must not have been steady... The dog lost its head... Two of my main working dogs both have beddy in them...

Guest fence_hopper

This has probably been done bfore but i may have missed it. How many lurcher folk out there can honestly say their lurchers are 100% stock broken.

me, a dog that aint has no place in the field, shoot the b"sterd

100%

the dilema I have is we have always kept a cat to keep the dogs broke to them, yet my whippet male will lie with our cat but the b*****d will kill any other cat he sees, dont know why maybe its cats attitude to strange dogs I dont know.I was worried about the chickens when he started pegging the odd pheasantbut so far the chooks have remained totally safe.Sheep even though we dont see them very often are still safe even after he started retreiving other herbivores.Horses he doesnt even see its like they are invisible and cattle he sticks to me like glue when they are around.

Every dog is different and its our responsibility to make sure that on the whole that the dog is socially acceptable and ensure antisocial things dont happen involving our dogs even though our way of life is a dying thing we should still set a good example wherever possible

Edited by brother