differences in greyhounds

me an me dad got a racing bitch over from ireland and bred her to a good track dog. i kept one of the bitches that was 24tt at the shoulder and weighed about 22kg.her brother was 28tt at the shoulder and weighed 53kg(77lb) and they had tonnes of stamina. they were about A4 to A5 grade when they were racing over 4 and were about S2 to S3 over 6 bends. the little bitch was a cracking working dog and i took rabbits( over ferrets, on the lamp and just out mooching in the day), decent sized roe deer single handed, a few hares at night an a couple in the day and she also caught a fair few pheasants aswell. so it isent just coursing dogs that can coursea and work. and her feet were good to :thumbs: 9 this was all preban by the way

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not from me you wont, I think it was an excellent post to be quite honest.

theres not alot of difference in my book some track bred dogs

do well at coursing events and vice versure

TEDS MOVE track bred won waterloo cup and bred track winners :thumbs:

Sam the Man was track bred and won the Waterloo Cup whilst still a pup :thumbs: Glatton General probably the unluckiest dog never to win a Waterloo Cup was track bred but an influential sire that produced a Waterloo Cup winner

Y.I.S Leeview

Coursing greyhounds WERE slower a well known greyhound courser from these parts had succes in courseing with dogs that did not grade imho i dont think theirs that much difference alot went on training and conditioningthumbs.gif

Id be more inclined to think they were warned of than non graders :whistling: Who was the coursing owner pm if you dont want to say?

Y.I.S Leeview

me an me dad got a racing bitch over from ireland and bred her to a good track dog. i kept one of the bitches that was 24tt at the shoulder and weighed about 22kg.her brother was 28tt at the shoulder and weighed 53kg(77lb) and they had tonnes of stamina. they were about A4 to A5 grade when they were racing over 4 and were about S2 to S3 over 6 bends. the little bitch was a cracking working dog and i took rabbits( over ferrets, on the lamp and just out mooching in the day), decent sized roe deer single handed, a few hares at night an a couple in the day and she also caught a fair few pheasants aswell. so it isent just coursing dogs that can coursea and work. and her feet were good to :thumbs: 9 this was all preban by the way

Your bitch was the exact size and weight as my greyhound. Any photos of her? :)

i would agree that generally the coursing ones are heavyer and slower were as the racing ones have explosive speed and lighter built. in a coursing greyhound its not so much down to speed its down to how many times the hare gets turned and its on point basis. sometimes coursing greys are moved on to tracks as you lose points if they lift the hare. so the super over fast coursers are moved onto a track these are the ones that are to fast and lift the hare all the time and lose points. most coursing bred greys are a little less injury prone dont know if its just because there stronger built or what but seems to be the way this is my understanding of it but could be wrong. atb jamie

i like the greys,,,,,there,s somthing that seems to attract me to them,,,,,,,,,,some will say they cant turn,,,some will say they can turn

injurys,,,,mmmmm even ill ammit can be a problem

my family had them in past,,,,some good some bad

( one off my family members ,,,are having one brought up to,,,breed with his whippet,,,,,,,,,,,but i think when he,s done,,,,,,,iam going have his grey to take hunting,,,,,as i think there amazing piece off kitt,,,,,,,,ok they are injury prone,,,fences ditches ,,,ploughed feild,e,t,c (man made )

but there a fun tool,,,if used correctly

but having said that,,,,,,i would love to see them used more other than racing,,,,,,,peoples will slag them off ,,,,yet put there lurcher to them,,,

they are a great breed,,,,,,,,,,,but it would be nice to see some real hunting greys on here,,,,if thats possible,,,,,with the slagging they get ( somtimes)

( ohhh shite,,,,,iam going to get another negitive post a again ,,,aint i :icon_eek: ,,,,,,,,,its like bebo on here lol

i like the greys,,,,,there,s somthing that seems to attract me to them,,,,,,,,,,some will say they cant turn,,,some will say they can turn

injurys,,,,mmmmm even ill ammit can be a problem

my family had them in past,,,,some good some bad

( one off my family members ,,,are having one brought up to,,,breed with his whippet,,,,,,,,,,,but i think when he,s done,,,,,,,iam going have his grey to take hunting,,,,,as i think there amazing piece off kitt,,,,,,,,ok they are injury prone,,,fences ditches ,,,ploughed feild,e,t,c (man made )

but there a fun tool,,,if used correctly

but having said that,,,,,,i would love to see them used more other than racing,,,,,,,peoples will slag them off ,,,,yet put there lurcher to them,,,

they are a great breed,,,,,,,,,,,but it would be nice to see some real hunting greys on here,,,,if thats possible,,,,,with the slagging they get ( somtimes)

( ohhh shite,,,,,iam going to get another negitive post a again ,,,aint i :icon_eek: ,,,,,,,,,its like bebo on here lol

Not from me you wont, I think it was an excellent post to be quite honest. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I've seen ex track Greyhounds that could destroy hare, fox and roe; unfourtunately I've also seen ex track greyhounds destroy THEMSELVES on hare, fox and Roe, on their first run ! I've never had the opportunity to bring a Greyhound pup up as a "Lurcher", but I'm sure it could be done !

Cheers.

I think greyhounds are underrated,I had a bitch years ago,ex racer, 22 mths,discarded for interfering. I trained it to jump ,retrieve, stay, the lot. It ferreted, lamped, took fox, hare, rabbit and feather. Once, when out for a mouch a hare came through the hedge about 100mtrs ahead, off she went,out in the field it stopped, she stopped, got down low and stalked to within about 20mtrs of it before it set off again. So they are not as thick as most folk think.She became the foundation for a line of good lurchers.

had three bitches in the last 10 years, one didnt have the feet one did, she was ahandy dog for a walk and caut on some big land on allsorts ,she caut the lot , and had an attitude to go with it i gave it to a keeper who wanted a good one to breed pionter greyhounds ,he says some bitch ,the rest were not bad but didnt have her running sense and got lame ,but she still caut game when the ground suited her ,not a dog i would have to replace my lurchers but one you could get a good lurcher through if bred to the [bANNED TEXT] dog

I've seen ex track Greyhounds that could destroy hare, fox and roe; unfourtunately I've also seen ex track greyhounds destroy THEMSELVES on hare, fox and Roe, on their first run ! I've never had the opportunity to bring a Greyhound pup up as a "Lurcher", but I'm sure it could be done !

Cheers.

I was going to ask on here about this myself actually! If the rescues are full up with greyhounds looking for good homes (some as young as 18 months) why not get one? Are they any good? Will they work?

A mate i spoke to this morning says he has had three and all they ever did was crash! Embankments, trees, hedges, fences, he said that because of their track days all they knew was flat out and thats what they did right up untill they hit something. All three of his killed themselves by crashing into stuff at full pelt.

Was he just unlucky? I would love to rehome an ex track grey myself but i wouldnt want to go through watching it break its legs, neck, back etc etc.

Edited by kill um with crisps

Cheers.

I was going to ask on here about this myself actually! If the rescues are full up with greyhounds looking for good homes (some as young as 18 months) why not get one? Are they any good? Will they work?

A mate i spoke to this morning says he has had three and all they ever did was crash! Embankments, trees, hedges, fences, he said that because of their track days all they knew was flat out and thats what they did right up untill they hit something. All three of his killed themselves by crashing into stuff at full pelt.

Was he just unlucky? I would love to rehome an ex track grey myself but i wouldnt want to go through watching it break its legs, neck, back etc etc.

You can't just get an ex racer and take it out hunting ,you need to take it out where there is no game to learn about rough ground, fences, hedges, ditches and the like, you need to get it stock broke. They can be useful but you have to be prepared to put the work in, otherwise, as you say, they will just get bust up. It's just like bringing a pup on.

Edited by romany52

Forty odd years ago, a mate of mine wanted to come out with me to give his track dog a "freshener" on hare, first run it hit a fence post and broke it's neck !! Last year a trainer I know, took two track dogs for a walk on a golf course; normaly there isn't even rabbits on this course, but Sods Law, they took off after a deer; one broke it's neck, the other broke a hock !! I stress that these dogs were track dogs, they hadn't been brought up to hunt. Were they unlucky, or just the norm for a track Greyhound ? Who knows ??

Cheers.

i would agree that generally the coursing ones are heavyer and slower were as the racing ones have explosive speed and lighter built. in a coursing greyhound its not so much down to speed its down to how many times the hare gets turned and its on point basis. sometimes coursing greys are moved on to tracks as you lose points if they lift the hare. so the super over fast coursers are moved onto a track these are the ones that are to fast and lift the hare all the time and lose points. most coursing bred greys are a little less injury prone dont know if its just because there stronger built or what but seems to be the way this is my understanding of it but could be wrong. atb jamie

I don't think you're up to date with your coursing info Jamie.

True coursing dogs on the whole are bigger and heavier but how do you make them out to be slower? If that

was the case why have coursing dogs as surely someone would enter a "faster" track dog and beat the "slower"

coursing dogs every time.

You say " in a coursing greyhound its not so much down to speed its down to how many times the hare gets turned", I would ask you how many times have you watched coursing recently? There aren't that many turns in Irish park coursing, sometimes there aren't any. It's usually if not always the dog that leads to the first turn that's declared the winner so I would say it's all down to speed.

I've left the best to last, you say,-"so the super over fast coursers are moved onto a track these are the ones that are to fast and lift the hare all the time and lose points". There are numerous things wrong with that statement, for a start if they are "super over fast" and "too fast" surely they will lead up and then it wouldn't matter if they lifted the hare or not as they'd be leading anyway. Secondly the dogs are muzzled nowadays so it is quite a rarity for a dog to manage to get hold of a hare during a course.

Have a look on you tube at the Clonmel Derby and see what you make of it.thumbs.gif

Forty odd years ago, a mate of mine wanted to come out with me to give his track dog a "freshener" on hare, first run it hit a fence post and broke it's neck !! Last year a trainer I know, took two track dogs for a walk on a golf course; normaly there isn't even rabbits on this course, but Sods Law, they took off after a deer; one broke it's neck, the other broke a hock !! I stress that these dogs were track dogs, they hadn't been brought up to hunt. Were they unlucky, or just the norm for a track Greyhound ? Who knows ??

Cheers.

:blink: I've seen a handful of ex-trackers kill their quarry,..(easily),.and then,.. go on to kill them fecking selves,...poor sods... :no:

I've always thought it a crime,.and damn cruel business to give away,.'free of charge' these beautiful creatures, to lads that are obviously going to run them on a live quarry....because, for every success story,.there are a dozen,.bone crunching,. painful disasters... :cry:

BUT,.I did once purchase a wee pup off some flapping lads at Aldershot race track...

Tina,.went on to catch plenty of deer and hares,.and my Mother kept her for 14 years...

I do believe the main reason for Tina's usefulness in the field,.was due to the fact that during her upbringing,..I NEVER actually told her she wasn't a lurcher,...and she acted accordingly.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

All the best,.and good hunting,...CHALKWARREN.. :drink:

TINA...

File0099.jpg