David Cameron: hunt ban 'a mistake'

"Every farmer will tell you that and every farmer will also tell you that the methods now being used - in more cases gassing and shooting and trapping and snaring - are, as the Burns inquiry itself found, very very cruel."

Every farmer? Must be a peculiarity that only applies to British farmers then. As I'm a farmer and don't find shooting, trapping or snaring cruel. Don't know enough about gassing to comment.

So every (sheep) farmer would be happy to have the hunt trundle through, possibly cutting fences, to catch the oldest or sickest foxes while the healthiest foxes are busy killing lambs. He'd then tell the shooter, snare or trap man who looks for permission to piss off.

He would on his bollocks.

I get the feeling he's just lost himself more votes than he thinks he has gained.

One slip of the tongue and you're in the...

Edited by JohnGalway

The comment Cameron made about gassing,snaring and trapping was made directly in relation to the control of foxes and not as a general comment about field sports. This was the same argument used by the Hunts to defend their sport when the ban first took effect.

The Hunting act will be repealed completely or not at all. Its not possible to select certain pieces of legislation and leave them in place. The idea of repeal is that one simple line will be entered into legislation and the entire act dismissed. However, this wont give hare coursers the right to illegally course over ground where they have no permission. They will still be commiting a criminal offence albeit under different legislation.

The injustice of the hunting ban is that it criminalises legitamate sportsmen, in much the same way that the banning of handguns only affected the legitimate firarms licence holders.

The sting in the tail is the Conservatives have only offered a free vote to MP's and in order for a repeal there must be a thirty(ish) vote majority. The bottom line is MP's represent the people of their constituancy and if the general feeling of the voters is they dont want a return to hunting the MP will vote to preserve the ban irrespective of his or her own views. They have to or they'll be out of a job!

The comment Cameron made about gassing,snaring and trapping was made directly in relation to the control of foxes and not as a general comment about field sports. This was the same argument used by the Hunts to defend their sport when the ban first took effect.

Possibly I missed or misread something so I've reread the article. The guy is hoping to get elected isn't he? Yet he's saying to the many people who engage in fox control, what you do is cruel, no, sorry, that's "very, very cruel", but I can shoot rabbits, because that's... ??

:blink:

How is shooting, snaring or trapping as methods of fox control very very cruel? How is shooting rabbits, as his father taught him, less cruel?

It strikes me as a completely bizarre comment to make. Can you enlighten me further please if I'm taking things up wrong here? (genuinely).

Possibly I missed or misread something so I've reread the article. The guy is hoping to get elected isn't he? Yet he's saying to the many people who engage in fox control, what you do is cruel, no, sorry, that's "very, very cruel", but I can shoot rabbits, because that's... ??

:blink:

How is shooting, snaring or trapping as methods of fox control very very cruel? How is shooting rabbits, as his father taught him, less cruel?

It strikes me as a completely bizarre comment to make. Can you enlighten me further please if I'm taking things up wrong here? (genuinely).

I wasn't having a dig at you mate.....I agree with you. The comments he made are ridiculous.

I'm quite well involved in trying to ensure the repeal actually happens (www.vote-ok.co.uk) and I've made my feelings clear to those around me. When you consider that most of the people involved in this campaign are supporters of pack hounds and I'm a lurcher enthusiast we come at it from different ends of the same argument.

I'm a little unsympathetic at times to the pleas of the fox packs as they would have happily sold the snarers, shooters and trappers out in order to preserve hunting with hounds. The claims that certain forms of control are cruel is madness as once you've divided amongst yourselves it weakens the argument for any form of hunting.

The packs expect us to stand firm and vote on repeal but I cant help wondering if it was shooting and trapping that was banned would they be so supportive of us. I think they would probably keeps their heads down and try not to rock the boat.

Hopefully, after the election in May there will be a quick vote and repeal in our favour and maybe in the future certain faces of fieldsports will be more supportive of our lesser branches of sport.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit heavy but its something close to my heart.

No, not at all heavy and I know you weren't having a dig. As I said I read the piece twice and I was genuinely wondering had I missed something important in there. I agree with all you've said and also hope the ban can be repealed as it's ridiculous.

:thumbs:

Typical Cameron. He says whatever he thinks his audience want to hear.(OK so do all of 'em). He claims to be e country boy. Miss out the "o" and the "r". Gassing, Mr wannabe Prime Minister, is illegal. If shooting is cruel why are hunts allowed to flush foxes which must then be shot? I was baffled by his reference to trapping until I realised that most urban dwellers would take that as meaning using gin traps. That, country boy, is also illegal, in my view rightly so. But he gave the game away when he said that it would be a free vote and "some Conservative MPs might vote against repeal." Any Conservative MP in an urban constituency will go back to his constituency party and vote as they tell him - against repeal. Then that nice hunt friendly Mr Cameron can say "Well, a free vote went for keeping the ban. I kept my word, now let me get on with screwing up the economy."

BAH! HUMBUG.

Ric

No....you had read it right.....Cameron is a tit!!!!

What a stupid thing for him to say. The problem with most MP's is that a lot of their statements etc are written by the spin doctors and brains behind politics. When they are allowed to think for themselves they say stupid things.

The repeal is still touch and go right now. Most people, contrary to what the media will have you believe dont give two hoots wether we hunt or not. Most view foxhunting as a little eccentric and think we are all mad.

Whatever happens, if the Conservatives regain power, the vote on repeal will be quite early in their term of office. If successful we will be hunting legally again by the end of this year.