Single Handed

the only time i'd ever run a pair is for a young dogs first fox or two.from then on its single handed for the rest of its working life and if the dog isn't up to that then its good luck.i'd much rather keep one excellent dog than three average ones.

i agree with most of your post dave,but i wouldnt run 2 as one may get the sharp end and you dont want it to be the young un, agood fox dog is a good fox dog right from the start,i think its best to hold a dog back abit untill you no it can hold its own,

i agree and i would always hold back a dog until its ready and they would have seen foxes at digs before they run them on lamp.its just an old habit,i always ran a young dog with an older one for just its 1st or 2nd fox only but really no need i know.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if a dog carnt do it single its not a fox dogday or nite

Posted Images

HGB 1st comment was spot on, , when we was younger and our only ways of lamping was on foot, sometimes walking 4/5 miles to get to good ground, lamping all the way there, then around there area and then lamp our way home, , if we come across charlie then yes he would be doubled up, not sure who would be more pissed of me or the landowner if we missed and made the fox lamp shy, , when out for the run then yea test your dogs, but when the fox is a pain and wants dealing asap, then sllipppp tthheee dawgggssss, as they say, :thumbs:

a lot on here think people doubled up cause there dogs could'nt manage on there own,most people did it cause they caught more not that they could'nt sort the job on there own,the big bags would'nt of been done ran single handed especially running off the back of the van where the dog sometimes had to travel 2/3 hundred yards to get to the fox.when it was legal i had single handed dogs that when i went for numbers i ran doubled up cause i caught more in a night,but saying that the dogs were always tested plenty single other times or they would'nt of been in my kennel! :thumbs:

Cracking reply ive ran dogs 20 years now and had plenty and still have single handed dogs' but if im on a good night out id double up firstly both dogs keeping fit getting a run secondly greater chance of a catch and thirdly my single handed dogs dont have to prove nothing i know they do the job themselves

Think some of you are confused with running doubled up, their are two (or more) ways of doubling up -

Option 1. Run 2 single handed dogs together, both dogs are trying their best to catch that fox. Therefore catch rate increases.

Option 2. Run a single handed dog with a doubled up dog, only one dog is trying to catch the fox, the other is just getting in the way and will get involved at the end if your lucky. Probably less chance of a catch than running single handed.

Option 1 used to be the one for me on lamp.

a lot on here think people doubled up cause there dogs could'nt manage on there own,most people did it cause they caught more not that they could'nt sort the job on there own,the big bags would'nt of been done ran single handed especially running off the back of the van where the dog sometimes had to travel 2/3 hundred yards to get to the fox.when it was legal i had single handed dogs that when i went for numbers i ran doubled up cause i caught more in a night,but saying that the dogs were always tested plenty single other times or they would'nt of been in my kennel! :thumbs:

Cracking reply ive ran dogs 20 years now and had plenty and still have single handed dogs' but if im on a good night out id double up firstly both dogs keeping fit getting a run secondly greater chance of a catch and thirdly my single handed dogs dont have to prove nothing i know they do the job themselves

single handed means catch and kill on its own,nothing more nothing less.the dog should be fast enough to catch it without the need of another dog turning charlie into it and able to sispatch without nonsense

nobody's saying any different mate are they???the dogs were single handed but when your out for 5/6 hours and after double figures you caught more running two SINGLE HANDED dogs thats all were saying not they were'nt up to it on there own,the lads i went wid would'nt of been happy if i was just running my dog every run and every night,all you lads that only ran your dog must of had very understanding friends. :thumbs:

can them bullxs catch fox,where they fast enough preban, or did you have to drive upto them and throw the dogs out,

i once seen the wreckin crew and them bullxs where shite but hey its a well known fact a bull x hasnt got the stamina to run 10 fox in 1 night.

can them bullxs catch fox,where they fast enough preban, or did you have to drive upto them and throw the dogs out,

i once seen the wreckin crew and them bullxs where shite but hey its a well known fact a bull x hasnt got the stamina to run 10 fox in 1 night.

[bANNED TEXT] a lode of shit

:doh: tit

i think some of you lads go on too much about this. if you got a good fox dog and you

no it will do them on it own whats the problem running them doubled up sometimes. as

long as you know what your dog can do whats the problem