Matt, I'm not going to say anything either way about the rights or wrongs of shooting someone's prized moggy, but wasn't there a thread on here a while back with the info stating that once a cat leaves the owners property it becomes the property of who ever's land it's on, de facto? :hmm:

A cat remains the property of it's owner until such time as the owner relinquishes ownership, or the cat becomes feral. There is no legal precident that I'm aware of to confirm what 'feral' actually means, so great care should be taken to ensure that you are squeaky clean before taking action to destroy a feral cat. 'Best Practice' which is what the courts use when making this kind of judgement requires that the animal is caught alive and scanned by a vet, and if ownership cannot be proved, the animal can then be humanely destroyed.

Interestingly, there is an article in this edition of 'Keeping the Balance' (the journal of the NGO), which states that; "there are virtually no circumstances in which a gamekeeper might lawfully shoot a dog or cat."

He (David Frost) goes on: "The owner of a cat is not responsible for it's actions, but the owner of a dog is"

Whilst I can see that the law relating to cats is unfair (I'm fed up with the number of cats we get in the garden as well), the law is the law, and idiots like Fireman coming on here and giving out such poor advice could lead to forum members loosing gun licences or worse.

Your a man in the know matt, is it legal to cage trap a cat and release it?

Born Hunter; I do not know of a law which prevents you catching a cat in a cage and then releasing it, but care should be taken to ensure that the welfare of the animal is not compromised for the duration of it's confinement. The Law states that the cat (or any other animal that has been trapped) becomes your responsibility once caught, although ownership of a domestic animal cannot be transferred just by trapping.

Fireman, you just don't get it do you?

The onus is on you, as the trapper, to prove without any doubt that any cat that you think is feral, is in fact so. 'Best Practice' which is what the courts use to convict, requires that 'reasonable measures' are taken to trace the rightful owner. Those measures may include having a vet scan the animal for a chip as a basic requirement, but could also include advertising for the owner at the other end of the extreme. Even then, to destroy a cat you need to be able to prove that you have carried out those measures before the dirty deed is done. It's no good shooting cats and then looking to see if it's chipped.

It's not up to owners to prove that their cats are NOT feral, but trappers to prove that they are.

Cats are not considered 'alien species' (like grey squirrels, mink etc) but DOMESTIC animals that are either the property of someone, or feral.

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fireman, you've just confirmed my worst fears about you.   Here are some basic facts that everyone should be aware of:   You are not entitled to shoot cats, unless you can prove, categorically,

A cat remains the property of it's owner until such time as the owner relinquishes ownership, or the cat becomes feral. There is no legal precident that I'm aware of to confirm what 'feral' actually

Born Hunter; I do not know of a law which prevents you catching a cat in a cage and then releasing it, but care should be taken to ensure that the welfare of the animal is not compromised for the dura

Posted Images

In a non argumentive manner the law concerning the dispatch of cats is full of holes either way really if what we all are saying is true.When does a cat owner relenquish ownership?,after their cat has just clean out £1000 worth of damage to a aviery or after you've dispatched it when it's worth the world(££££'s that cat was worth)?.The no leagl pesident on being ferel says it all really and it would be really down to how the judge felt on the day if a case(with arguement and not a little scroat shooting the neighbours cat for fun)went to court and not down to point of law as there isn't one.Again maybe a little silly my first comment if so i'm sorry but myself i think poison is a horrid way to kill things but still legal and the only option in a lot of cases but i don't c*nt off pesties for using them or call them silly names.You've all hurt my feelings now

the reason these posts have been left up on the forum fireman, is not because your correct, its to try an educate anyone who does not know the law, deleting this post would not educate anyone, unless the member asking the first question, asks for it to be removed, Im quite happy to let it run...

Understand stubby hence my last post,it seems the law on catching and either releasing or dispatching a cat and if said cat is thought to be ferel or not is a bit murky to say the least.I'm not trying to say i'm correct but i am not incorrect either in some cases,again sorry for my slightly flipant first post and i agree a good legal debate that may help us all be a bit clearer about the law concerning problem cats can't be bad,can it? :whistling: .

the law in germany is clearer on cats,

if a cat is more than 200m fromthe nearest housing(a building that COULD be used to live in) and hunting/stalking game then he IS feral and can be shot within the law(not covering the damages you COULD be sued for by the owner).

dogs are somewhat different:

they must be hunting or chasing game AND be out of the controll of the owner/handler( this is difficult when it goes to court,the owner will say something like " ok the dog was 200 yards away but on the way back after i had whistled him").

shooting/trapping "pets" is a very dodgy subject(no matter if you are in the right,it WILL piss someone off IF THEY FIND OUT).

there was a thread on here a while ago about dogs and cats did that come to a solid conclusion?

waidmann

Ive seen some very interesting comments, some i would not do, others i could do, and other is will try. As to the owners rights, well i dont care, they would not like it if me or my dog ( if i had one) was to shit in their garden every night so f**k them.

i remember a subject reported in the bbc radio 2 show that a neigbours cat was eaten by a large snake sunning itslef in the back garden. the owner of the snake was not arrested as the cat had gone in to the snakes garden and wanted to eat the snake, but the snake wanted some lunch and beat the cat to it :victory:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5999091/Pet-cat-eaten-by-13ft-python.html

:notworthy::notworthy:

From my point of view there is nothing unethical about cage trapping cats in the garden .Most creatures will not return to the scene of a bad experience once released.The bought deterants have limited use as curiosity gets the better in the end .Cats,either tame or feral are the absolute easiest animal to trap with a suitable cage ,prebait and you have him.Combine this with a traumatic release :blink: and you wont see it again ,ever .

I agree with this, they get a bit smelly in the trap over night, but a quick jet wash soon cleans them up . :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice so far, some i will ignore others i will take on board. i know what cats do it and i know where their owner lives, one is my next door neigbour ( but she insists that HER cat dont shit in my garden :hmm::feck: ) and they other owner is unapporchable as she is my ex., i cant have a dog as ive not got the room for one and i feel it will be wrong to have a dog when ive not got the space it needs. they sh£^ in the front garden mainly, ive tired those green gel stuff, but will try again tho.

Thanks for the replies.

chris :boogie:

Chuck the shit back in her garden lol :whistling:

Thanks for the advice so far, some i will ignore others i will take on board. i know what cats do it and i know where their owner lives, one is my next door neigbour ( but she insists that HER cat dont shit in my garden :hmm::feck: ) and they other owner is unapporchable as she is my ex., i cant have a dog as ive not got the room for one and i feel it will be wrong to have a dog when ive not got the space it needs. they sh£^ in the front garden mainly, ive tired those green gel stuff, but will try again tho.

Thanks for the replies.

Chuck the shit back in her garden lol :whistling:

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::thumbs:

I had trouble with cats in my garden once, poo everywhere!! the kids kept getting it on their shoes and treading it in the house so I went to Argos and brought a couple of cat scarers which is like an infra red device which uses batteries when the cat goes past it lets out a high pitch squeal which we can just about hear. I dont have problems with the cats anymore I would always recommend these, but can be a bit pricey.

Foxes and Feral Cats are pests. Agreed?

They are vectors of disease causing pathogens and carriers of parasites both internally and externally.

Foxes and feral cats are not routinely wormed, flea'd or regularly checked over by a vet or immunised against diseases and viruses such as Feline Aids, Parvo, Distemper etc.

Domesticated cats & dogs owned by responsible owners on the other hand are regularly wormed, flea'd, receive immunisations and boosters throughout their life; therefore, where as a fox or feral cat fouling in your garden would be a direct health and safety hazard to children, adults and domesticated pets, they would require controlling in order to prevent the risks of diseases and parasites.

A domesticated cat fouling in your garden would just be annoying and irritating.

A garden hose would be more appropriate than a .22 BSA Meteor or 12g for the offending moggy with a collar around its neck identifying that it isn't a feral and it probably wouldn't end you up in Court and spread all over the tabloids if caught.

Look at this:-

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/water-spray-pir-activated-cat-dog--bird-control-20-p.asp

Edited by Urban Fox Control London

Thanks for the replies.

I know what you mean fella about the ex being unapproachable so is mine, but I sure used to enjoy seeing my ex's pussy in the garden :whistling: