day dog lamp dog

Just bought in a new pup.

He is saluki/whippet/greyhound sire collie/greyhound/bull/greyhound.

His main purpose will be cathing rabbits on the lamp.

Iwould like to take him out with the old bitch - she is strictly a ferret/bush/moochy type of dog.

Do you think this could cause problems when i introduce him to the lamp later on.

Any first hand experiences good or bad would be most helpful :thumbs:

you'll need to make sure the basic's are covered really well first such as the recall because after a couple of trips out daytime and mooching the dog will start using his nose and hunting up when on the lamp and shouting your gut's out for a dog tearing round in the darks not great :icon_redface:

atb natter

you'll need to make sure the basic's are covered really well first such as the recall because after a couple of trips out daytime and mooching the dog will start using his nose and hunting up when on the lamp and shouting your gut's out for a dog tearing round in the darks not great :icon_redface:

atb natter

Good post, but personally I,ve always used my dogs for lamp and day time (ferreting,bushing etc.) and never had a problem. Free rein in the day time, instant return when lamp goes out, thas what I expect and all the dogs I,ve ever trained have responded easily.

atb natter

Good post, but personally I,ve always used my dogs for lamp and day time (ferreting,bushing etc.) and never had a problem. Free rein in the day time, instant return when lamp goes out, thas what I expect and all the dogs I,ve ever trained have responded easily.

ive got two dogs and they both do day and night and dont have a problem and i work both lose

atb natter

spot on bud, my lurchers are used for everything, not only a one job tool, as said if the basics are there should be no problem. In the day my lurchers hunt, and at night soon as lamp off come instantly back, good luck to you, but try to open the dogs mind to all forms of hunting

atb natter

spot on bud, my lurchers are used for everything, not only a one job tool, as said if the basics are there should be no problem. In the day my lurchers hunt, and at night soon as lamp off come instantly back, good luck to you, but try to open the dogs mind to all forms of hunting

Which first - any preference.I would have thought lamp then daytime :thumbs:

atb natter

YEP, get lamping in its head 1st, and try daytime later. But as you got your day dog why bother, with the other dog.?? Ive only got one dog so mine as to do both. But in your case you have 2 dogs, so carnt see any probs.?

mine started off ferreting with me after he learned his manners!! i find this an easier way of making sure he recalls and is obeying my commands in the field!! then i started him on the lamp and he works perfectly well coming back when the lamps off and not on the slip he runs free!! i used to walk him off the slip with rabbits bolting infront of him and he knows only to go on command i put this down to all the daytime work i did with him before i let him loose in the field at night!!

atb natter

YEP, get lamping in its head 1st, and try daytime later. But as you got your day dog why bother, with the other dog.?? Ive only got one dog so mine as to do both. But in your case you have 2 dogs, so carnt see any probs.?

Thanks for the reply.

The day dog is eight years old.when she retires i am hoping my mates dog will be good enough to take over bushing/marking duties(some ask)They work together at the moment.

a lurcher hasnt been tested if it doesnt do both,

people go on about lamp dogs, fen dogs, ferreting dogs, :censored: all a load of shite if you ask me the 1 st few yrs of a dogs bringing on we should mix all 4 and more and then and only then it can be partioned of to make a dog of quality :thumbs: on your chosen quarry,

hope this is taken on board and the pup serves you well for many a year

ive always started my lurchers off on the lamp first because ive seen a couple of pups thats bin out in the day time hunting but when they tried it on lamping and when the dogs missed the rabbits lamping they used to f**k off useing its nose which you dont want coz there maybe other rabbits about