Yesterdays digging

Out yesterday on the estate local to me.Tried a few likely places before coming across a freshly scraped place that has been dormant for a couple of years.Would of missed it if it wasnt for the sharp eyes of mysef as we drove by.Single holer under a yew tree and a solitary net placed on. We take turns with the dogs trying places and lately it seems that my mates bitch gets all the lucky spots.She could be heard but not close to the entrance thankfully as yew roots are notoriously hard to get through,being tangled and very tough to chop .Found her away near the track at 2 metres.Let her settle a bit as she was moving steady to get up to her fox .

The earth a bit further back along this bank, that we'd just tried ,is under the rock so we thought we'd struggle here a bit but it wasnt to be .Sand all the way with loose rock in places .As we dug ,the battle moved on a bit away from us, but in a way it helped as we had plenty of room to move by the time we took off a bit more .Formed some steps so we could take it in turns to hand out the shovel as the dig got deeper.The pair went at 90 degrees ,left,to us for a finish and we broke through on the bitch after 2 1/2 hours to find charlie was around a corner .Chipping away at the roof then clearing ,it became apparent that it was getting unsafe to under mine so another plan was brought in .We had the 12 bore so my mate ,who's gun it is, stood at the top and waited whilst i boxed the dog after checking her over .Charlie obliged and game over ,a good sized dog fox when we expected a vixen!The dig overlooked the lake and big house and no finer scene exists in my book .As we backfilled ,a group of fallow sauntered by ,heaven .The fox was a veteran ,no top canines and probably the one seen many times when they beat this area of the shoot but that all came to an end when he met the black peril called Bonny!

Picture038.jpg

Picture034-2.jpg

Picture035-1.jpg

Picture033-1.jpg

Edited by foxdropper

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic