FREE TO GOOD HOME PUPS(or do u get what u pay for?)

WHAT DO THE READERS THINK ABOUT SIMPLY GIVING AWAY PUPS FOR FREE??? I WAS TAUGHT THAT YOU GET NOTHING FOR NOTHING IN THIS LIFE & IF YOU WANT QUALITY YOU HAVE 2 PAY. EVEN WHEN I HAVE GOT A PUP FOR FREE FROM A FRIEND,I HAVE INNOCULATED OR GAVE A FEW BAGS OF DOG MEAL,AS IT AINT CHEAP TO REAR A LITTER AS WE KNOW EVEN IF U DIDNT HAVE TO PAY A STUD FEE. DO U VALUE SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE PARTED HARD CASH FOR(EVEN AT A REDUCED RATE FOR A FRIEND)??? WHAT DO YOU THINK?? :hmm:

well endgame,you gifted me a pup .i gave you a token gesture of 20 quid.thats the way it should be.but if a stranger gets a pup for free,it sometimes becomes (easy come easy go)so it all depends ,i suppose :thumbs: was a good big dog to ,bred out of beast.it and its sister ran doubled up on a cold jan morning and took 10.pitty about that dogs dodgy toes.atb bendrover :thumbs:

WELL I KNEW THE DOG WAS GOING 2 A GOOD HOME & THE £20 WAS A GESTURE THAT U HAD BOUGHT THE DOG & OWED ME NOTHING ( MIND U IF I KNEW U WERE GOING 2 CALL IT LARSSON U WOULD HAVE GOT FECK ALL ) :clapper:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WHAT DO THE READERS THINK ABOUT SIMPLY GIVING AWAY PUPS FOR FREE??? I WAS TAUGHT THAT YOU GET NOTHING FOR NOTHING IN THIS LIFE & IF YOU WANT QUALITY YOU HAVE 2 PAY. EVEN WHEN I HAVE GOT A PUP FOR

another besterd

WE HAD A LOCAL DOG CALLED WALTER, A LOCAL MONKEY DOG MAN PUT IT DOWN 4 COCKING ON HARES AT 11MONTH. KILLED SO MANY PUPS HE SAID WERE USELESS, HIS NICKNAME BECAME GADAFFI. BENDOVER KNOWS THE CLOWN AS W

These Ads do my head in. People think they are getting a bargain- not had to pay for it.

then find out parents were never vax'd, r wormed. Pup has loads wrong with it - some will treat them- some wont.

Why not just neuter the dog to start with if they dont want pups.

My 1st dog was a collie- taken from his mum at 5 weeks put in a pet shop, homed, beaten and within 3 weeks was in a rescue centre. He wasnt even 3 months old. He was scared of raised voices, kids, doors banging- used to wet himself in fear.

My 2nd dog was taken from mum at 5weeks. Way too young but her mum was a dog that went out in a morning & was let in if she was outside when they went to bed.

She was pregnant again within weeks and they gave her up to RSPCA and went and got 2 staffies :censored:

the best dogs are gifted.

yes gifted to a friend or someone who you know will do good by the dog! gifting to a total stranger is not good in my opinion!!

if they dont know you and the dogs for nothing they might just think its been given away as old crap and the first sighn of it not doing what they want they oust it!!!

i belive you should charge a stranger as its not cheap to bring on puppies especially if you have given them to friends aswell!! you owe the stranger nothing so they might look after there investment if they pay for it!!!!

some one who i know of had a litter of plummers when rehoming pups made arrangements for them to meet up in 12 months to see how they were getting on good way to see if they went to right homes good idea whether selling them or giving them away always think nice to see how your offspring is going on in case you fancy breeding a repeat litter like to sell my off spring to people i go hunting with keep a eye on them that way lol

A FRIEND OF MINES HAD A LURCHER BITCH THAT HE HAD BOUGHT IN. THERE WAS A BIT OF DEBATE AS 2 HOW OLD SHE WAS, BUT SHE TURNED OUT 2 BE A BED PISSER & A COCKER,THAT HAD OBVIOUSLY DONE MORE THAN WAS SAID. ANYWAY HE PASSED HER ON 2 SOMEONE WHO ENDED UP BREEDING FROM HER & SHE HAD 11 PUPS(SHE WAS A BIG DEERHOUND BRED BITCH). HE TOLD ME IN HIS DEFENCE THAT LOADS OF PEOPLE WANTED THE PUPS. I POINTED OUT 2 HIM THAT THE PUPS WERE ALL FREE 2 GOOD HOMES & IF HAD £1OO BEEN ASKED PER PUP IM SURE THEY WOULD HAVE SEEN HOW MANY PUPS WERE WANTED? I TOLD HIM THAT IF HE COULDNT GET A PET HOME FOR THE BITCH THEN HE SHOULD HAVE PUT HER DOWN & HIS "ANY LIFE IS BETTER THAN NO LIFE" TALK WAS RUBBISH! NOW WE DIDNT HAVE 1 CASE OF POTENTIAL CANINE MISERY,WE HAD 12.AS 4 THE PUPS & THE MOTHER??? I NEVER HEARD ANY MORE ABOUT ANY OF THEM THAT HAD A HAPPY ENDING IM AFRAID & IT SADDENED ME 2 BE PROVEN RIGHT. SAD BUT TRUE IM AFRAID.

WHAT DO THE READERS THINK ABOUT SIMPLY GIVING AWAY PUPS FOR FREE??? I WAS TAUGHT THAT YOU GET NOTHING FOR NOTHING IN THIS LIFE & IF YOU WANT QUALITY YOU HAVE 2 PAY. EVEN WHEN I HAVE GOT A PUP FOR FREE FROM A FRIEND,I HAVE INNOCULATED OR GAVE A FEW BAGS OF DOG MEAL,AS IT AINT CHEAP TO REAR A LITTER AS WE KNOW EVEN IF U DIDNT HAVE TO PAY A STUD FEE. DO U VALUE SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE PARTED HARD CASH FOR(EVEN AT A REDUCED RATE FOR A FRIEND)??? WHAT DO YOU THINK?? :hmm:

well endgame,you gifted me a pup .i gave you a token gesture of 20 quid.thats the way it should be.but if a stranger gets a pup for free,it sometimes becomes (easy come easy go)so it all depends ,i suppose :thumbs: was a good big dog to ,bred out of beast.it and its sister ran doubled up on a cold jan morning and took 10.pitty about that dogs dodgy toes.atb bendrover :thumbs:

WELL I KNEW THE DOG WAS GOING 2 A GOOD HOME & THE £20 WAS A GESTURE THAT U HAD BOUGHT THE DOG & OWED ME NOTHING ( MIND U IF I KNEW U WERE GOING 2 CALL IT LARSSON U WOULD HAVE GOT FECK ALL ) :clapper:

well if you want the best ,you may as well name them after the BEST. :notworthy::clapper:

This is a very good thread, which I've followed with interest. My older brother bred a few litters of non-ped Whippets, many years ago, and as far as I know, never sold one of the pups... they were kept for his own use or given to friends, and some turned out to be class dogs. I've had running dogs for 45 years and never bred a litter. Why ? .. well I've never had a bitch that was so good that I would go to the trouble of breeding from ! I've had some good dogs, but there was allways pups available from dogs and bitches as good or better than mine ! I have a very decent bitch now, who has four good seasons behind her and has nowt to proove to anyone; but would I breed from her... I don't think so. I told the man that bred this bitch, that if I had pups from her, I would probably keep one for myself, and cull the rest, as I wouldn't want pups going to people I didn't trust. I wasn't in the market for a new pup, but saw a litter advertised, which I thought were outstanding breeding, and should do the job I wanted, so got in the car and drove over 400 miles to get her ! There are far to many litters being bred from unproven stock, and it doesn't matter if they are sold or given away !

Cheers.

• Like 1

When i will be breeding my bitch, it will be purely because i and a couple of good friends want a pup, of course my friends will get a pup for free but i would not give a pup away to just any stranger, easy come easy go, i go on the fact that people genuiely value the things they pay for, i have bought every one of my dogs but in the future i shouldn't have to again because i will get one from a friend that i know has decent dogs! :thumbs: Money shouldn't be a reason to breed, if anything i need to start saving to give the pups the best start in life they could have and it isn't cheap!

This is a very good thread, which I've followed with interest. My older brother bred a few litters of non-ped Whippets, many years ago, and as far as I know, never sold one of the pups... they were kept for his own use or given to friends, and some turned out to be class dogs. I've had running dogs for 45 years and never bred a litter. Why ? .. well I've never had a bitch that was so good that I would go to the trouble of breeding from ! I've had some good dogs, but there was allways pups available from dogs and bitches as good or better than mine ! I have a very decent bitch now, who has four good seasons behind her and has nowt to proove to anyone; but would I breed from her... I don't think so. I told the man that bred this bitch, that if I had pups from her, I would probably keep one for myself, and cull the rest, as I wouldn't want pups going to people I didn't trust. I wasn't in the market for a new pup, but saw a litter advertised, which I thought were outstanding breeding, and should do the job I wanted, so got in the car and drove over 400 miles to get her ! There are far to many litters being bred from unproven stock, and it doesn't matter if they are sold or given away !

Cheers.

that was an outstanding reply, :notworthy: it sums this thred up to a tee :thumbs:

Cheers.

excellent post which I agree with 100% chartpolski,there are too many sh*t dogs out there being bred by rank amateur's that have never been properly tested,no knowledge of their lineage,and are just thrown together and sold or given away to anyone that wants them,then we all wander why the standard of working lurcher's have deteriorated so much,In the past only two outstanding dog's,worked fully,would be put together,there was no need to advertise them as most litter's were booked before they were whelped ,it appear's from the posts put up on a daily basis that lamping is the only test these second rate dogs have had,daytime with one dog is a different league alltogether and done regular over 3 or 4 seasons,then maybe we can get back to improving working lurcher's for the better,yis,wirralman

Cheers.

C.P. U HAVE MADE SOME EXCELLENT POINTS THERE & AGREE WITH why breed when u can buy?? 2 BE HONEST THOUGH AFTER 45YRS I BET U HAVE HAD SOME STUFF WORTH BREEDING. THE FACT THAT U SHOULD BE UR OWN WORST CRITIC I AGREE WITH BUT MY OWN 2 DOGS I BRED MYSELF. WHY?? BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN 2 MANY DOGS BRED FROM THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ENTERTAINED IN THE 1ST PLACE. I ALWAYS SAY THAT YOU WILL PERHAPS GO THAT EXTRA MILE WITH UR OWN BREEDING. C,P I AGREE WITH CULLING BUT HOW DO YOU PICK WHAT U WANT FROM WEE TINY PUPS THAT COULD BE ANYTHING??. U COULD BE HOLDING THE BEST PUP IN THE WORLD & U WOULD NEVER KNOW IF U CULLED IT?? SECURING GOOD HOMES IS HOWEVER GETTING HARDER & HARDER AS HAVING THE FREEDOM 2 WORK UR DOG GETS HARDER.

Cheers.

C.P. U HAVE MADE SOME EXCELLENT POINTS THERE & AGREE WITH why breed when u can buy?? 2 BE HONEST THOUGH AFTER 45YRS I BET U HAVE HAD SOME STUFF WORTH BREEDING. THE FACT THAT U SHOULD BE UR OWN WORST CRITIC I AGREE WITH BUT MY OWN 2 DOGS I BRED MYSELF. WHY?? BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN 2 MANY DOGS BRED FROM THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ENTERTAINED IN THE 1ST PLACE. I ALWAYS SAY THAT YOU WILL PERHAPS GO THAT EXTRA MILE WITH UR OWN BREEDING. C,P I AGREE WITH CULLING BUT HOW DO YOU PICK WHAT U WANT FROM WEE TINY PUPS THAT COULD BE ANYTHING??. U COULD BE HOLDING THE BEST PUP IN THE WORLD & U WOULD NEVER KNOW IF U CULLED IT?? SECURING GOOD HOMES IS HOWEVER GETTING HARDER & HARDER AS HAVING THE FREEDOM 2 WORK UR DOG GETS HARDER.

Endgame, if you felt your dogs were worthy of breeding off, then that is your decision, no one elses ! As for the culling statement I made; Gin, the breeder of my bitch will tell you it is what I said, and I would have looked at the pups and picked what in my mind was the strongest, if a friend or relative wanted a pup, I would give them one for free. I doubt I would breed off my bitch, even thought people have asked for a pup, but I would not put unwanted pups into the market place. I didn't post on this thread for an argument..... good luck with whatever you do.

Cheers.

Cheers.

i have never bred a litter,would not be confident enough to do so,not like a lot people now a days,chuck em in see what happens,sell what we can types,but if i did, culling would,i think be a good idea for pups not needed,then you could could bring them on for a few months before you made your choice,see how they are coming along,size, height what ever,although culling at a later stage in their lives is prob more difficult(just in answer to how you would know wich to pick)

Edited by watchman

Cheers.

i have never bred a litter,would not be confident enough to do so,not like a lot people now a days,chuck em in see what happens,sell what we can types,but if i did, culling would also be my option for pups not needed,i would like to think i could bring them on for a few months before i made my choice,see how they are coming along,size, height what ever,although culling at a later stage in their lives is prob more difficult

I have never bred a litter of pups, and probably never will... so the "culling" scenerio is hyperthetical.

Cheers.

thats bad news for the future cp cos if i dont your the only one i know who can lol on saying that who knows how ours will turn out and your right breed just for a name it must be proven some where