ferreting today

Well went to check the snares this morning,so i thought i would take a ferret and a few nets.Took my dad with me from the start of the walk he was struggling to keep up and had to keep stopping.So checked the snares and went on to ferret a couple of small sets.The weather had turned by now and it was raining,1st sett was a three holed affair which looked well used so nets down ferret in,less then a minute first rabbit in the bag,dad sorted the net out and ferret had not shown suddenly thumping,WHAM second rabbit hits the net :clapper: .Ferret shown so nets up and away to the next sett,my dad was shivering by this time and the weather was getting to him,so i said last sett and we will go home.So nets down and ferret in,and we waited and waited 15 mins and nothing gave a sweep with locator and found the ferret at 2 foot,gave her 5 mins,then tired locator again still in the same place so out with the spade quickly breaking through,could see the rabbits ass end so reached in and pulled it out,quick dipatch put my hand in again and there was another,by this time my dad was really suffering with cold.So quick backfill and back to the car.On the way home it was decided he was hanging his nets up so to speak,its getting too much for him.He said he will still have the odd trip out where there was not much walking and carrying involed.So after ferreting together for 26 years,it has come to a end,i would just like to say THANK YOU DAD FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND THE LAUGHS YOU GAVE ME IN THEM YEARS YOU WILL BE MISSED :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

A few pics,not many because of the rain.

1st sett of the day.

002-27.jpg

My dad netting up his last warren.

004-20.jpg

The 2 rabbits from the dig.

005-19.jpg

So once again dad thank you and hurry back as i can not carry all this gear on my own. :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Bloody hell i am gutted not only have i dropped a frozen turkey on my foot & had to rest it on a puff :laugh::laugh:

I have got nothing to make me laugh on here :laugh::laugh: its terrible i will miss the old buggers antix thats for sure :laugh:

real shame for you!! hope you find another good ferreting partner! and sure the old man will still find a few more outings with you :victory:

Belive me a good ferreting partner is hard to come by i put a post up here asking for somebody and had 1 response.

alrite people i recently went to buy a ferret out of the free adds when i got there a old man answered the door he took me to his hutches got the ferret out put his finger in its mouth to show me how tame it was lol i got speaking to him and he told me he was 86 i couldent believe it has he also told me he still goes out ferreting,shooting shotguns,bullet guns etc since then ive been ferreting with him 5 times hes built like a tank still strong as hell gets right in the bushes to put the nets on wont let you carry his gear either he was in world war 2 as a para he jumped the ryne and the dday landings some of the storys he tells me you wouldent believe it but you can tell hes telling the truth its a privlige to go out with him and learn some of his stuff i will take a video camera with me next time and record him so you can see for your self atb ps he sais its all in the head hi just hope hes right and ime has fit has him when ime that old if i reach it.

The bike does make it easier for the old chaps mate, (Takes them a bit before they can control it though!)

Its gets hard for the old guys with the cold and the walking. My old un had an ingrowing toenail done yesterday, but he's clawing the walls to get out!

A bike not only takes the graft out the job, but just sitting down out of the wind behind it is enough on the bad days. :thumbs: