Too Fast..possible or not,

Yes a dog can some times be to fast its usualy lurchers that have been put back to greyhounds or non ped whippets wich imho can cancel a lot of the natrual running ability out in a certain type of lurcher.Then again a fast type dog with running sence will always catch on any ground and a fast dog will only get slower as it gets older were a slow dog to start with wont get any faster with age,atb dell

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they

I want a dog that is fast as can be but when he comes up on his game, he should slow and rate it and then explode and then its all over.

WHAT YOU HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ONE SAY THAT A DOG IS TO FAST, IN 45 YEARS I THINK YOU MUST OF HAD YOU HEAD UP YOUR AR55 THEN MATE, THEN YOU SAY OK A GREYHOUND OR A NON PED WHIPPET WILL RUN ITSELF INTO I

as above, when my bitch was younger and not as experienced, she'd run flat out, and if the quarry turned on a sixpence she was over shooting alot and having to use her pace to get back on terms with the quarry, now shes older shes learned and is more experienced she hardly misses a thing, she might run flat out when slipped to get on the quarries arse but lets off when she knows its not going anywhere and works it well.

edited to say by "lets off" i dont mean farting! thought i'd get it in before some smart arse does! :victory:

Totally Agree

In my opinion a dog can never be too fast. I can never understand why anybody would believe this. They can be to inexperienced or just plain stupid for sure but never too fast. A dog can also be injury prone or just plain brittle and weak but never can one be too fast. You really have to call a spade a spade if you are wanting great dogs. If a dog gets wrecked here, I dont say they were too fast. I say they were either inexperienced, stupid, brittle and weak, or in certain cases it was just a bad unfortunate deal. I own a male dog that wrecked himself last July but it werent cause he was too fast or too stupid or whatever. It was just a bad deal. Everything went wrong and I got a crippled dog cause of it but I hope and pray I can get one as fast as he was again.

If you're running a dog in july Dan whats the temp like at that time of year ,the ground must be like concrete there ,that must play havoc in the long term with their joints, etc,

Its hot as can be in July. Ground aint terrible hard in July, not like it is now anyhow. When it gets real dry then yes it gets hard. I aint tryin to be a hard ass but I dont baby myself nor my wife or kids so I damn sure aint gonna baby no dog. We hunt when we can and we hunt year round. Like I said, not tryin to be a hard ass but aint no dog livin a better life than we are.

Oh ya as far as the joint thing goes, I suppose you are right but my joints dont feel real good when I wake up in the morning either so if them dogs are willing and able to go on and do it, then we go on and do it. And........if they are not able, then I'll find one that is.

Edited by Dan Edwards

Its hot as can be in July. Ground aint terrible hard in July, not like it is now anyhow. When it gets real dry then yes it gets hard. I aint tryin to be a hard ass but I dont baby myself nor my wife or kids so I damn sure aint gonna baby no dog. We hunt when we can and we hunt year round. Like I said, not tryin to be a hard ass but aint no dog livin a better life than we are.

Oh ya as far as the joint thing goes, I suppose you are right but my joints dont feel real good when I wake up in the morning either so if them dogs are willing and able to go on and do it, then we go on and do it. And........if they are not able, then I'll find one that is.

Another thing i was wondering about,do you ever come across any of the big cats you have over there, and if so how do the dogs get on with them,

dan i think in my case here yes a dog can be to fast , if a dog over shoot's it game on a turn it gone !!! as we have small field's stone wall's ditches, gates cover a fast dog is one thing but as the lads above say fast in, but when in, it slow down to work it's quarry,

sounder

dan i think in my case here yes a dog can be to fast , if a dog over shoot's it game on a turn it gone !!! as we have small field's stone wall's ditches, gates cover a fast dog is one thing but as the lads above say fast in, but when in, it slow down to work it's quarry,

sounder

well put sounder u beat me 2 it.

I've seen it in a few threads now,lads write about the dog been too fast, is it possible for a dog to be too fast or has it not yet learned to run clever, i would have thought with enough work that the penny would drop in the dog mind,or maybe alot of them aren't given that long.I know fella's have had talked about this where greyhounds have been involved, Has any of you ever experienced it first hand with lurchers

that is most likley the reason for most dogs that run to fast on the lamp ,NOT ENOUGH WORK ,and then only sliped of a lead ,i have seen hundreds of dogs worked this way ,and they nearly all end up with some kind of injury ,a few have been killed in the field ,when the dogs seem to miss a lot of game because they run flat out most owners get rid because they think the dog cant catch ,

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they can absolutley fly and take any tumble that a half breed collie lurcher could take. If you think of it, they should be able to. They are damn near perfect in every aspect. If they were not, they would not be the athletes that they are in the first place. Never will you see a straighter legged, more muscled, solid hound that them fast as lightning jack rabbit or hare dogs that them boys run. They float over the ground with the greatest of ease and never get injured. Thats cause they are what we should all be lookin for. Dont settle for a slow dog just cause it wont get injured. That might well be, but the sumbitch aint never gonna catch nothin but a cold either.

a fast dog would not last a week in the places i work my dog ,mabe ok for you on them vast plains where they get time to pull up or turn wide .,

Another thing one must seriously take into consideration here is this. The truely great fast dogs are not weak or brittle. They are not injury prone at all. They are the best of their kind and they can absolutley fly and take any tumble that a half breed collie lurcher could take. If you think of it, they should be able to. They are damn near perfect in every aspect. If they were not, they would not be the athletes that they are in the first place. Never will you see a straighter legged, more muscled, solid hound that them fast as lightning jack rabbit or hare dogs that them boys run. They float over the ground with the greatest of ease and never get injured. Thats cause they are what we should all be lookin for. Dont settle for a slow dog just cause it wont get injured. That might well be, but the sumbitch aint never gonna catch nothin but a cold either.

a fast dog would not last a week in the places i work my dog ,mabe ok for you on them vast plains where they get time to pull up or turn wide .,

We run ours in timber ground all the time so I aint buyin that either.

dan you dont run dogs in small fields with hedges and walls like we do ,a fast dog does not cut it in these places ,that is all im saying ,other wise i would get a greyhound .or pure whipet . Edited by 2GOOD

dan you dont run dogs in small fields with hedges and walls like we do ,a fast dog does not cut it in these places ,that is all im saying ,other wise i would get a greyhound .or pure whipet .

I would have thought the opposite were true; fast dogs for the small fields, plodders for the fens.

Cheers.