dogs and ferreting

depends on the type of ground youre going to be working mate.moorland and open fields mean you can run a lurcher and have some cracking sport.places where theres alot of cover you will probably need a terrier or two.ive got a bedlington terrier and a beardie cross lurcher. take both wherever i go. then ive got the best of both worlds.you could end up with a shed load of dogs if you try and get one for all occasions.

I usually take the lurcher in case any slip the nets ,But if im shooting them the spanniel or lab get a day out .But i try never to take the three out together as the two shooting dogs had started running in

hi what dogs do people take ferreting. pics would be good. i want a dog but not sure to get a terier or lurcher

Lurchers are good if you like to see them after the runners and if you canget a good steady obedient one that learns to mark you are onto a winner .

No direspect to terriers but if you want something that is'nt a "running dog" you might be better off with something a little less excitable and more trainable.

Plenty of mongrels and collie type dogs have proved very efficient ferreting dogs as they learn to mark as well as any other type and have the advantage that they are easier to train to keep still and quiet when it counts .

That's only my veiw and plenty of people just love terriers and everything they do .Each to their own .

i agree with comanche, my mates got a cracking russel bitch with a brilliant nose but when we are ferreting she gets over excited and goes to ground.at the moment i have a 6 month old lurcher pup[beddie/whip/grey*beddie/whipp/grey/collie/kelpie],i am training up for the job at the moment.for the last 14 years i have used a mongrel collie which we got from the kennels as a pup,he's been an excellent marking and bushing dog ,and he has caught his fair share too through stealth.he still came out for half a days ferreting on saturday and managed to bag one ,heres sme pics of the dogs.atb nellie.http://tinyurl.com/ykgq6g7

hi what dogs do people take ferreting. pics would be good. i want a dog but not sure to get a terier or lurcher

i got cocker spaineils mate they work all the bushes and mark the holes to the 3 year old want leave one buc=sh unturned

my dad had terries they very good workers but find some like the ferret to as t try and kill it and when they bush they yelp and if they get a rabbit nothing left when you get to it

i agree with comanche, my mates got a cracking russel bitch with a brilliant nose but when we are ferreting she gets over excited and goes to ground.at the moment i have a 6 month old lurcher pup[beddie/whip/grey*beddie/whipp/grey/collie/kelpie],i am training up for the job at the moment.for the last 14 years i have used a mongrel collie which we got from the kennels as a pup,he's been an excellent marking and bushing dog ,and he has caught his fair share too through stealth.he still came out for half a days ferreting on saturday and managed to bag one ,heres sme pics of the dogs.atb nellie.http://tinyurl.com/ykgq6g7

lovely sturdy looking little thing mate. good luck with it :thumbs:

In my opinion mate, You'd be best with a whippet x beddie. They are said to be great ferreting dogs. They can also catch any rabbits that slip the nets or escape from unseen bolt holes. I've read about alot that bush pretty well so they'd catch a few in the cover aswell as being able to work in the open fields. They aren't too big either so wouldn't take up much space.

I use a wee 10" tts jrt, but she started going down the holes.

Also have a collie and a terrierxspringer that both mark, but the terrier cross took a few years to settle. Both these dogs need rehoming if anyone is interested.

sounds like you have bad dogs . . .

I use a wee 10" tts jrt, but she started going down the holes.

Also have a collie and a terrierxspringer that both mark, but the terrier cross took a few years to settle. Both these dogs need rehoming if anyone is interested.

sounds like you have bad dogs . . .

Unfortunately no, marriage breaking down, and dogs need to get new homes, not through choice, but need. Not the best dogs in the world, and not the worst,but they have done well for me.

Still, thanks for the well informed constructive comment.

Edited by ferreterni