First Rabbit

Right first post in a while.

I bought myself a BSA Lightning XL Tactical in .22 about 8 months or so ago. Been using it in the back garden shooting targets and the odd pigeon. Managed to get my first proper permission recently, my sister has a horse and moved it to new stables. She told me she had seen a lot of rabbits so i went up and asked if i could get permission to shoot or ferret on their ground. They were very easy going about it and said yes, and to feel free to come up whenever i wanted.

So on Saturday morning I went up with the gun for a walk about. Got out of the car and through a path on their ground, 2 crows sitting in a tree infront of me. Crow number 1 flew off but no. 2 just sat there, so i took aim and shot it, fell to the floor stone dead. Feeling pretty happy about only being there 5 minutes and having 1 in the bag, walked to the field where they said there was a lot of rabbits. They all seem to be laying up and tunneling through long grass at the moment. There are quite a few burrows but im guessing when the snow goes away i will be able to see a lot more.

Anyway i walked along the road at the side of the field, but all the rabbits spotted me straight away and were off. The are also burrowing under an empty house next 2 the field, and a set of sheds which are on my permission. So took a walk around and seen a rabbit on the other side of the field. I tried to stalk it but i admit i am a bit of a novice at this at the moment, and when i got near it it disappeared down a burrow, so had another walk around the field, and then spotted the rabbit sitting outside of the burrow again. Again, tried to stalk it but with no luck. So i thought i would clear a bit in the snow, lie down at the top of the hill for 15 mins and hope it decided to come back out. I had only been lying down for around 2 minutes when it appeared outside the hole again. I waited for it to move away from the burrow and took aim, the adrenaline started going and bang,shot it through the back of the head and over it flopped. Absolutely delighted.

So i took it to the car and went home to get the ferrets. Managed to get another to with the ferrets, so a very good day was had.

Sorry if i bored you with my post but i was pretty chuffed at getting my first rabbit so had to post about it :)

Also got a squirrel in the back garden when i got home.

I'll try and get a pics up tomorrow if i can get it off my phone.

Cheers,

John

Yeah lets hope so. I've got a lot to learn but i cant wait to get back up there and give it another go. Theres a wee mound about 15-20 yards from the sheds, think ill lie up on that and wait for any to come out from there next time. The hard bit is actually getting set up in the position you want to be in without alerting them.

Suppose it will all come with experience.