deerhound x greyhounds

how many people on here actually work deerhound x greyhounds, nothing else in the make up!!

what do you find is the best allround type of dog? 1/2 cross 3/4 ect.

if its a 3/4 is more deerhound or greyhound the best?

this is a cross iv been interested in for i while, but iv heard some dont come on till 2yrs old??

cheers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup is a genuine 1st x, Doxhope Knights Errant x Rivington Eva; and she is rough coated. Cheers.

You won't regret getting this cross. Don't work it hard too early, let it mature slowly. Good nose, feet and easy on the eye as well.

Posted Images

Does anyone on here work a straight Deerhound or seen one work? I've only ever seen pets or show dogs on leads or I saw a few lure coursing once but was seriously unimpressed.

My Full Deerhound works quite well. It does depend on breeding. They're never as fast as a X , but they can hold there own.

post-3524-126238935309_thumb.jpg

Edited by mccloud

Does anyone on here work a straight Deerhound or seen one work? I've only ever seen pets or show dogs on leads or I saw a few lure coursing once but was seriously unimpressed.

My Full Deerhound works quite well. It does depend on breeding. They're never as fast as a X , but they can hold there own.

Maybe the ones I saw run were show bred because they were much bigger than the one in your photo. Nice dog :thumbs:

There aren't many breeders who produce a true working strain. The breed has a whole seems to retain the high prey drive, but the larger/heavier types don't seem to be up to the job, especially on small

quarry like rabbits. My Dog is 30" tts and an athletic 45Kg.

1stxs are a bit slow to mature [2-3yrs old] but they are a good all round dog when they click and enjoyable to watch

2-3yrs is abit to long for me like. i like to start mine off on rabbits about 10 month old. looking like id probley go for a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound.

is there much speed difference between a first cross to a 3/4 bred?

I had a couple in the early 70s both 3/4 grey 1/4 deer hound, slow to start, they are muckle in the beginning, running wide, overshooting,

there quarry, then they get balanced out, about 18 months to 2 years old, good genuine dogs, when they get going, and very strong ideal for today's deer, both dogs stood around 28" and good length, nose, stamina, good feet, and both had good coats and I liked the beard on one of them, the only downside is waiting for them to mature and balance out, (( around 2years) strong powerful dogs with a very kind temperament

I had a couple in the early 70s both 3/4 grey 1/4 deer hound, slow to start, they are muckle in the beginning, running wide, overshooting,

there quarry, then they get balanced out, about 18 months to 2 years old, good genuine dogs, when they get going, and very strong ideal for today's deer, both dogs stood around 28" and good length, nose, stamina, good feet, and both had good coats and I liked the beard on one of them, the only downside is waiting for them to mature and balance out, (( around 2years) strong powerful dogs with a very kind temperament

which did you prefair mate the 1/2 cross or 3/4?