another doe in the snow

Hi all, I went out for a stalk this morning, awoke to horizontal snow blasting past the bedroom window and laying 4 inches on the roads but headed out anyway once it slowed up. When we got to my permission I was glad we were in my mates landrover as it being on a B road the surface was untouched………..

post-4783-126228865273_thumb.jpg

I was dropped off next to the hardwoods you can see in the distance in the above photo to stalk down a long steep gully that always holds roe at any time so I set off fairly confident but with the frozen snow crunchy underfoot I decided to drop right down into the bottom following the burn to cover any noise. This gully is heavy cover so it was truly 5 steps and glass all the way down as through experience deer can be standing watching your approach and just disappear as only they can. However luck was with me as up front I caught the shape of a deer moving across the burn and onto the bank to my left, moving as quickly as the snow and cover would allow I got sight of the doe 100yds away feeding behind sparse bushes so no shot, I stood silent and waited for what seemed an eternity until she stepped into a clearing on the bank. I placed the crosshairs high heart/lung and squeezed the trigger, the 223 spat sending a 55 grain softpoint her way and she crumpled dead and rolled to the bottom off the bank.

post-4783-12622887028_thumb.jpg

After the gralloch my mate phoned just in time to come down and give me a hand to drag it up the hill for pick up. :thumbs::clapper:

atb and happy new year to all

alan.

cheers for the replies guys :thumbs: out again at the weekend more snow but still managed another, no great story in this one, seen it out on kale field when i got to my permission, out the car, stalked in and shot it.

atb alan.

post-4783-126255376326_thumb.jpg

Edited by brno17