Best value spring rifle

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying your Christmas break, and are not to sober :drink: but sober enough to let me pick the brains of the more expert among you :gunsmilie: . I am looking to buy a springer during the next couple of months, it will need to be a full powered Rabbit/Pheasant stopper capable of stopping fur and feather at range :hmm: . Hit me with your opinions please but nothing that is going to need a fat bank balance to purchase, I look forward to what advice you Rabbit wackers have to offer ;)

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying your Christmas break, and are not to sober :drink: but sober enough to let me pick the brains of the more expert among you :gunsmilie: . I am looking to buy a springer during the next couple of months, it will need to be a full powered Rabbit/Pheasant stopper capable of stopping fur and feather at range :hmm: . Hit me with your opinions please but nothing that is going to need a fat bank balance to purchase, I look forward to what advice you Rabbit wackers have to offer ;)

HW95k, admit it's quite expensive, but it'll do what you ask and for a long time.

PV :thumbs:

id say a airarms pro sport in .22 they are excellent straight out of box and ar smooth and no twang etc just solid thud but they are heavy but this is made up by how accurate this gun is , other wise id say a lightning not tactical stock as they are to light in my opinion but with a lot of new lightnings they seem to twang and kick like hell so a good tune up is advised to smooth things out etc roughly hpw much are you wanting to spend :thumbs:

not sure what kind of budget you have bud.

i have a hw 35 which will do the job for rabbits all day( up to 40-45m head shot).

not sure what they cost now( around 250??).

there are some good springers about used,pref from someone you know. you know what you are getting and that it shoots straight.

good luck.

let us know what you go for and how you get on with it please.

Stick to one of the HW or Webley range for a not too expensive springer, The 57 and 99 (as said) are well worth a look. First class! Webley's are good value aswell, I use an old Xocet from time to time and it's a lovely gun to use. I fitted a gas-ram to it a while ago and I can't fault it for what it is.

Lightnings are very over-rated. Badly built, crap trigger,'twangy' as they come and a sod to work on for such a basic gun. I know some folks rave on about them but (please, no disrespect to anyone and also I do have a Lightning...) they are often folks first gun so they maybe don't have much to compare them with.

Good luck with whatever you choose, PC. :thumbs:

Cheers.

Edit to say... Lightning's have been built in Spain for BSA for a long time now. How popular would they be over here if they were sold as the 'Gamo Lightning'??

Edited by andyfr1968

HW77 gets my vote, I've got one here that I bought in 87, its been passed around, I fitted it with a new spring when I bought it back for £70, and its a mass murderer, still 100% accurate, even though I own a HW100T I still like to take the 77 for a walk every now and then, they are a legend in the gun world :thumbs:

Stick to one of the HW or Webley range for a not too expensive springer, The 57 and 99 (as said) are well worth a look. First class! Webley's are good value aswell, I use an old Xocet from time to time and it's a lovely gun to use. I fitted a gas-ram to it a while ago and I can't fault it for what it is.

Lightnings are very over-rated. Badly built, crap trigger,'twangy' as they come and a sod to work on for such a basic gun. I know some folks rave on about them but (please, no disrespect to anyone and also I do have a Lightning...) they are often folks first gun so they maybe don't have much to compare them with.

Good luck with whatever you choose, PC. :thumbs:

Cheers.

Edit to say... Lightning's have been built in Spain for BSA for a long time now. How popular would they be over here if they were sold as the 'Gamo Lightning'??

agree with above on new lightnings but the older mk 1 lightning not the xl are strong and sturdy guns and can be tuned really well i take pin heads out at 30 yards no prob on a rest and can put 5 shots in a 10p i agree thay no pro sport but for the price of a mk lightning and a tune up say all in £160 ya cant go wrong for that , :thumbs: