Boars in Oz

Thanks very much for the comments Aussiepigger...

Now for the latest news...I have been appointed a Game Manager for the northern region of NSW acting for the Game Council of NSW. My area will reach from near Port Macquarie to Broken Hill and up to the Queensland border. I don't know the land area yet but looking on a map is seems bigger than Great Britain...I am the only bloke covering the area so I have a bit of travelling ahead of me ha ha. Anyway, the job is to promote ethical hunting, finding hunting opportunities on public land for legal hunters and catching poachers. I will also be arranging hunter training and that includes dogging pigs and shooting deer, foxes, wild dogs, rabbits hares and so on. I'm looking forward to the challenge but the immediate impact will be that I will have to drop this thread until I find out what I can and can't say (Game Manager is a government position so there are rules about how much we say without departmental approval.

So I will disappear for a while and would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their feedback and support.

As soon as I can I'll be back but until then, good luck and good hunting.

Cheers.

well done for the new job ned. shame you cant carry on the thread as it has been a real good read. good luck for furture hunting and the new position. hope you carry on thread soon

atb mike

Great news about the job Ned. I hope it works out for you. I will miss reading all your threads and looking at your photos. Thank you for everything. atb Kyle

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Hullhunter:

The photo is real. Sad story really as it was apparently a very gentle pet pig sold to a game farm and then dispatched

rather poorly by the kid.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hogzilla&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBF_en

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.as

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/03/0322_050322_hogzilla.html

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is/was fantastic, and for once no bitching at all! Hat off to you Ned and your dogs! hope the job is going well and you'll be back filling us in with your hunting trips?

Ross

G'day everyone,

I'm sneaking back onto the odd forum now that I am finding my feet in the new job. I've spend most of the first few months training. In Oz now you have to have a ticket for everything so you and your employer are covered by insurance. All to do with occupational health and safety... Now I can officially drive a 4Wd and a quad (ATV), drive defensively, cape and butcher a deer, interview bad guys and prepare a brief of evidence for court and use an extendable baton, pepper spray, open hand knife defence techniques and negotiate ha ha. I must be able to do it all because I have the certificates...funny stuff. A lot of useful training though.

The area I have to manage is huge. I am trying to work out how many Great Britains it is but it is about 33 per cent of NSW or about 260,000 square kilometres. Impossible really but you pick and choose your battles...

Ironically, since joining a hunting management organisation I have done bugger all hunting. Well I've been hunting but mainly getting bogged hopelessly because of all the rain we have had this summer. Country that is never damp is now like quicksand. Very strange to see...

I have a picture of two and a little (very poor) video to post of some hunting once it all loads so that will appear in the next few posts.

In other news I have written a book on training boar dogs and that will be released on line in mid Feb I think. I'll talk to the mods here about advertising it just in case some of you blokes are interested. I am also in the process of setting up an on line magazine readers can subscribe to for hunting stories and vids. Again, I'll talk to the mods here about advertising that.

So there you go. As I said, some pix and video to come and thanks for your continued interest in the thread.

Cheers, Ned.

Edited by Ned Makim