bellman locating

has anybody else found the bellman a bit hard to get an exact reading, everytime i dig the breakthrough is hard to find if you no what i mean,with the deben it was always exact, when it was working that is, maybe im not using it right but i would have thought after 3 seasons i would have it cracked, or are they just not as precise?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anybody else found the bellman a bit hard to get an exact reading, everytime i dig the breakthrough is hard to find if you no what i mean,with the deben it was always exact, when it was working that is, maybe im not using it right but i would have thought after 3 seasons i would have it cracked, or are they just not as precise?

every time av used 1 the wev broke through right on top of the dog

mine is bang on every time. if say your at 5 foot down already then try the b and f on each side of the dig at the bottom and it will give you the lowest reading, if the reading is still changing when you are on the lowest reading then the dog must be going back and forward in the tube and the only way to check is to try your b and f on a couple of other terriers. if it still does the same thing when used on a dog that locks on to its fox then there might well be a problem with the b and f, i hope this helps amd makes sense to you.

atb and happy christmas Webby

Guest busterdog

I've used the b&f for three or four seasons and don't rate them at all at precise marks, the old deban systems were far better, but all said and done i wont be going back to it.

I think the thing that made the deban better was it was directionable, i know the b&f is but not to the same degree.

I've used the b&f for three or four seasons and don't rate them at all at precise marks, the old deban systems were far better, but all said and done i wont be going back to it.

I think the thing that made the deban better was it was directionable, i know the b&f is but not to the same degree.

I agree.

have never used the bandf have heard they,re a good bit of kit but i use the new deben and think they,re spot on also use the old mark1 as a back up..whatever we use fair play i say so long as we know were out tykes are ,the quarry s dug and despatched humanely then i dont see the problem..atb lads and merry christmas(and lasses)yis..darrell.

i agree . when in a fair size dig the box gives the same reading say 0.3 for eg in one corner of the dig and the same at the opposite corner. and the dog had a mouthful and was still. with the deben you could pinpoint the dog and get in quick if u needed to.

Guest busterdog

I think the thing that made the deban better was it was direction able, i know the b&f is but not to the same degree.

i agree . when in a fair size dig the box gives the same reading say 0.3 for eg in one corner of the dig and the same at the opposite corner. and the dog had a mouthful and was still. with the deben you could pinpoint the dog and get in quick if u needed to.

I was going to say the exact same thing but I'm sick of key board hunters trying to shoot me down, theirs only so much rejection i can take icon_eek.gif

Edited by busterdog

I think the thing that made the deban better was it was direction able, i know the b&f is but not to the same degree.

I was going to say the exact same thing but I'm sick of key board hunters trying to shoot me down, theirs only so much rejection i can take icon_eek.gif

i have found the same thing the old grey box was better for pin pointing when your near the dog.but it couldnt be trusted the same as the bellman and flint i rate them top of the line.and if you get a mark of .7 move it slowly to the left then slowly to the right.it is a small bit slow to pick up on the mark.

I agree.

I also agree that the pieps and bellman & flint collar isnt great at ''pin pointing'' the dog. But it never let me down once, always found the dog with it. At the start of this season I changed to the new bellman & flint collar and the barryvox pulse. Find it better at pin pointing. It goes down to 0.0, the lowest the peips and bellman & flint collar goes is 0.3. Ive used them in all diff sizes of earths, small places to big rangey places.

There is nothing wrong with the Bellman collar, don't know about the Pieps locator as I have a Barryvox and both Ortovox and Bellman collars.

It is likely that a different reading could be found if the dog or collar is spinning around and twisting, maybe turning on it's side or lying on it's back for some reason but you would always go to the lowest reading anyway.

From the problem you are describing with accuracy, try finding the lowest reading with the box, mark it and then dig a decent size around the mark, this should put you onto your dog, or last mark as the dog could move. I had a Dog that would always back up and let you break into the tube between it and the quarry, clever Dog but took some sussing out. :hmm:

Talking about the Deben stuff yesterday with a bloke I know and they are by far the most accurate piece of kit out there but not in the same league as Ortovox / Barryvox / Pieps coupled with the Bellman or Ortovox collar.

Another thing you could try is to keep the locating box still and horizontal ( the Barryvox box tells you to do this when it is not horizontal ), this could aid accuracy and also try to move with slow deliberate movements instead of swinging the box around like the old Grey box,( the small computery type thing in the Pieps box cannot work as fast as you swing ).

I like to drop a Bar through when in range as well :thumbs:

Guest busterdog

There is nothing wrong with the Bellman collar, don't know about the Pieps locator as I have a Barryvox and both Ortovox and Bellman collars.

It is likely that a different reading could be found if the dog or collar is spinning around and twisting, maybe turning on it's side or lying on it's back for some reason but you would always go to the lowest reading anyway.

From the problem you are describing with accuracy, try finding the lowest reading with the box, mark it and then dig a decent size around the mark, this should put you onto your dog, or last mark as the dog could move. I had a Dog that would always back up and let you break into the tube between it and the quarry, clever Dog but took some sussing out. hmm.gif

Talking about the Deben stuff yesterday with a bloke I know and they are by far the most accurate piece of kit out there but not in the same league as Ortovox / Barryvox / Pieps coupled with the Bellman or Ortovox collar.

Another thing you could try is to keep the locating box still and horizontal ( the Barryvox box tells you to do this when it is not horizontal ), this could aid accuracy and also try to move with slow deliberate movements instead of swinging the box around like the old Grey box,( the small computery type thing in the Pieps box cannot work as fast as you swing ).

I like to drop a Bar through when in range as well thumbs.gif

Don't take it the wrong way but that's got to be the most patronising answer I've ever heard "quality" do keep helping us retards wont you signthankspin.gifsignthankspin.gifsignthankspin.gif

From the problem you are describing with accuracy, try finding the lowest reading with the box, mark it and then dig a decent size around the mark, this should put you onto your dog, or last mark as the dog could move. I had a Dog that would always back up and let you break into the tube between it and the quarry, clever Dog but took some sussing out. hmm.gif

I like to drop a Bar through when in range as well thumbs.gif

Don't take it the wrong way but that's got to be the most patronising answer I've ever heard "quality" do keep helping us retards wont you signthankspin.gifsignthankspin.gifsignthankspin.gif

Busterdog you have robbed me!! Im sure you told me to dig a tiny hole at the point where i got the highest reading I cant wait to get out and try again now that sombody has told me where im going wrong :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::signthankspin::signthankspin: