Firstly the term pest control officer is used when local authorities advertise there jobs , http://www.lgjobs.com/jobs/pest-control-officer-scale-6-dhs946

:icon_eek::icon_eek: not a bad wage for someone qualified to call themselve a pest control officer. :thumbs:

Just remember that when someone gives you some good advice as a pro pestie, remember that most pro's pesties are not running around thinking they are the big urban hunter :D , they are infact trying to control an enviromental health problem from leaving you and your family from getting some very nasty diseases, some that will most definately put you in hospital and anyone that comes in contact with the disease.

A pro pestie's job is not about getting a "I killed score card" its about getting a serious health issue under control before it gets to become to big a problem and someone gets ill, so when you start talking about I use chocopeanutpeperammidogfood on your mouse or rat traps on your mantlepiece :laugh: it sort of makes you look like a cnut for pissing around with something that can be detrimental to your families health :hmm:

And the other thing worth mentioning, there is a lot of legal shit when you start using and placing baits round peoples family homes and also to the way you do the job if you are going to carry out something like pest control, then be sure to find out about the regulations and legalities first because only a facking idiout wouldn't when your lively hood depends on it :big_boss::victory:

Then you may just understand how carefull you have to be in covering your ass and sticking to the book :yes:

I'm of to crack open my vintage port ;)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tie a small bit of yarn to the base of the trigger with two overhand knots. Easier if you use a fair sized piece and then trim to be slightly smaller than the size of the trigger. Yellow is the preferred color as it makes them think it's cheese! lol! Seriously now, you rub the p-butter into the yarn and then you don't get the sly ones gently licking the trigger clean and getting away on you. Ah, sorry, could't help myself on the color bit!-) They don't care one whit about the color.

To get them all in one go you will need a bucket of water, some hay, a match and a shovel.

Fill the cavities between the walls with hay, make a small hole ( mouse sized will do) in the skirting board on BOTH sides of the living room and rest the shovel against the sofa.

Set alight to the hay and as the little feckers run through the hole to get to the other side of the room whack them with the shovel- this is in fact LEGAL AND HUMANE.

Some may have made it to the other side, this is why you filled BOTH sides of the house with hay. Repeat the process on the other side -any that are too scared to make the run back will get roasted. THIS IS ALSO LEGAL ( I think).

As you used hay it should burn out quickly and not set fire to the walls themselves, which should actually be made of brick. If they have started burning though, reach for the bucket of water.:thumbs:

Hope that resolves the matter finally.

• 2 weeks later...

Look to placing baits in areas where no pet access.Behind kitchen unit kick boards bioler rooms airing cupbaords and in particular loft spaces.You can also purchase safe lockable bait stations which are safe for pets and children.All baits are multiple feed piosons and you must keep baiting until there is no further activity.In five years i have never had a problem with smell from dead mice in a domestic premises.

The other main thing is to identify how they are entering to prevent a reoccurring problem.A hole 5mm square will allow mice in.Check sink waste pipes below door cills,check air brick hole size,defective mortat jionts and integral garage door fit.You need to be very thorough.

If you are not detached there is a possibility mice are coming from ajioning properties.

If you contact a proffesional contact your local authority.Be very wary of companies quoting small fees.This is usually a call out charge only.Treatment fees can be significant.

When we were kids we used to get hold of a few steralised milk bottles, you remember the ones with a long thin neck, we put bread in them and leant them up against shoes etc at an angle, mouse goes in, slides down, cant grip the glass to get back out. This is the most effective method I`ve used, we used to catch them by the dozens.

ATB

Edited by dillan

I'm expecting to get shot down for this but what do you bunch of old pro's think of those electric deterents? The plug in type that emit a sound that keeps them away?

Not worth wasting your money. They emit an ultrasonic wave and are supposed to irritate any pests and make them move on.

Animals soon become used to frequent sounds and smells, its called habituation. A bit like you living alongside a railway line or motorway. After a while you'll get used to it and take no notice.

Linc...theres none of that electronic nonsense in my van....just a shed load of poison and traps that actually does what it says on the tub ;)

Most houses i go to have at least 1 of those silly pieces of crap plugged in somwewhere at a cost of 20 odd quid each :wallbash::wallbash: Some people are soooo gullible :doh:

• 4 weeks later...