lamping with the harris

charlie caller

Howdy all,finally plucked up the courage to lamp with my fhh,went out this evening, sunday,made the reflective jesses the other day,well I cant beleive how well it went,spotted a squatter and kept the light on him as soon as he moved she was off and a terrific flight ensued she tried really hard to nail him and I thought shed got him but he just managed to get into cover, so I shone the headlamp on the glove and bang shes back on the fist,anaway the next time I switched on the beam shes looking straight down the light instantly,she had another 3 flights and came very close again but dident connect,but not to worry she did brilliantly,and returned to the fist instantly,so looks like shes taken to it like a duck to water,so now im not too worried if work stops me flying in the daytime cos il go out at night, cant wait to go out again :thumbs: astounded how clever and how quickly she learns HHs are so smart. CHARLIE CALLER

Howdy all,finally plucked up the courage to lamp with my fhh,went out this evening, sunday,made the reflective jesses the other day,well I cant beleive how well it went,spotted a squatter and kept the light on him as soon as he moved she was off and a terrific flight ensued she tried really hard to nail him and I thought shed got him but he just managed to get into cover, so I shone the headlamp on the glove and bang shes back on the fist,anaway the next time I switched on the beam shes looking straight down the light instantly,she had another 3 flights and came very close again but dident connect,but not to worry she did brilliantly,and returned to the fist instantly,so looks like shes taken to it like a duck to water,so now im not too worried if work stops me flying in the daytime cos il go out at night, cant wait to go out again :thumbs: astounded how clever and how quickly she learns HHs are so smart. CHARLIE CALLER

Well done mate great how did she adapt from day to night was she footy on your glove or anything did you notice any difference in her behaviour at night I have done a couple of night time feedings with mine and think he could be the same on the hunt with the lamp e seemed calmer to me in the night how about yours mate?

HI mate ive been doing quite a bit of recall work and feeding her under the headtorch,I honestly cant beleive how well she took to it,she was totally switched on and focusing on the beam constantly,she was a tiny bit footy but thats usual for her, shes a big agressive bugger,but I dident notice any difference to be honest,I put her weight up 1/4 of an ounce and it seemed to make her keener than ever if thats possible with my bird!!!!!,I CAN RECOMEND MAKING SOME REFLECTIVE JESSES THOUGH,just get some from a safety jacket cut out like normal mews jesses without the slit of course and punch and pass through as normal they work a treat mate I could see her perfectly , hope you give it a go cant wait to go out again next time I recon we will be hearing the telltale rabbit squeal he he CHEERS CHARLIE CALLER

Dident find it a problem mate,cant imagine the bird could block the light completly? I was using a clulite lamp and they do have quite a wide beam,wonder if anyone else has experienced any difficulty?one thing I do know is that when people say there eyesight is not much better than ours at night that is complete rubbish,she can see stuff that I cant,in complete darkness and ive got good night vision,so cant see the blocking being a problem really,but thats just my limited experience lamping with a hh but ive been lamping with dogs an rifles for years,will be interested to hear others comments on the subject.

CHARLIE CALLER

I've just started lamping my mhh, he took to it very quickly, he also tends to fly down the beam, doesn't seem to cause any prob tho, i just move it slightly keeping the rabbit it the beam at all times. Also i've started to take a mate who will hold the bird slightly away from me so he doesn't go directly in front of the lamp. I dont use reflective jesses just a little LED key fob. He comes straight back to the fist when lit sometimes when the rabbit hits cover he'll turn and come back with out landing. He's quite a steady bird but i find him steadier still at night.

Well if you keep the lamp on the bunny you iluminate the area too,however you try to fly on as open an area as you can though,also most hhs will land on the ground as soon as the beam is off so not too much risk involved,when has lamping dog , bird ect ever been risk free????? ive seen some nasty injuries on lurchers over the years, gladly never mine though,lucky I guess :thumbs:

CHARLIE CALLER

Well if you keep the lamp on the bunny you iluminate the area too,however you try to fly on as open an area as you can though,also most hhs will land on the ground as soon as the beam is off so not too much risk involved,when has lamping dog , bird ect ever been risk free????? ive seen some nasty injuries on lurchers over the years, gladly never mine though,lucky I guess :thumbs:

CHARLIE CALLER

:thumbs: , seen my own lurchers hit many a things while out lamping, personally i wouldnt risk it with a bop, unless its a owl, , i like them to much and knowing how fragile they are i would be panicking to much, well done tho mate, :drink:

Harris's will lamp no problem and catch plenty one word of advice dont go near trees when lamping as if yours is like mine once they see the trees they will sit up till dawn and it gets damn cold sitting there waiting also make sure you have telemetry on her as they do tend to move enjoy it i have been lamping my harris for 14 years its great

Edited by madmackie

Hi fella's, First post.

Been flying BOP for nealy 15 years now and most of that has been lamping with HH, RT or Gos.

I moved away from reflective jesses and started using both electronic nightlights and the "snap and Go" type (made for night fishing)

Found it easier to mount then on the feet / anklet as you cant see the light as well if the bird is returning to the fist (use a velcro type anklet) also diffrent coulors on each foot as you can see if the bird is coming or going.

As for calling back I used to teach the bird to return by whistle to both fist, lure and also to a beam shone into the air, as I found that if the bird did'nt land on the ground they cast high in to open air and await recall - telemetry a must.

Also a Second Dim or gate light a bonus as it made it easier to get the bird off kills

Found it to be very productive and managed to get a lot of bunnies that i could'nt get with lurcher's or rifle.

Only downside - it murders the tail feathers

Good luck and let us know how you go

Hi fella's, First post.

Been flying BOP for nealy 15 years now and most of that has been lamping with HH, RT or Gos.

I moved away from reflective jesses and started using both electronic nightlights and the "snap and Go" type (made for night fishing)

Found it easier to mount then on the feet / anklet as you cant see the light as well if the bird is returning to the fist (use a velcro type anklet) also diffrent coulors on each foot as you can see if the bird is coming or going.

As for calling back I used to teach the bird to return by whistle to both fist, lure and also to a beam shone into the air, as I found that if the bird did'nt land on the ground they cast high in to open air and await recall - telemetry a must.

Also a Second Dim or gate light a bonus as it made it easier to get the bird off kills

Found it to be very productive and managed to get a lot of bunnies that i could'nt get with lurcher's or rifle.

Only downside - it murders the tail feathers

Good luck and let us know how you go

i used a flashing dustcap of our kids bike , it worked great but i bought a proper led light wich works fine when the bird is not sat on the ground