My Pups Don and Swift

WHY WOULD YOU X A LURCHER WITH A COLLIE IT WILL ONLY SLOW IT DOWN?

Surely that would depend on the type of lurcher you cross it with? I'd hazard a guess and say this time next year it'll be some tool on the bunnies? Lamping that is! Good luck with the pups,i'm sure they will BOTH do you proud.All the best PP.

the collie cross is more than fast enuf for the rabbits. like ginny said its only ever seen two rabbits and it caught the pair. and SCOTTY1 a dog does not have to be fast to be a good dog. you will find a plodder will usualy catch more fabbits than a fast sprinting dog as it will last longer and will be still picking them up when the fast dogs burned out. not saying this is always the case though . atb

WHY WOULD YOU X A LURCHER WITH A COLLIE IT WILL ONLY SLOW IT DOWN?

Most people think like that, and in some ways there right, but lets look at it in another way.

instead of mating a collie to a greyhound, the greyhound only realy adding speed to the mix, its certainly not adding staminar ,

so lets look at the lurcher, the lurcher allready has staminar , good feet , good coat , intelegence , and probly generation after genration of worker.

so you have all the good points from the collie, and all the good points from the lurcher, but NONE of the bad things from the greyhound,

its like having the staminar double bred in to the dog.

MAKES SENSE THAT TOMO BUT YOU SAY LIKE THERES NO BAD THINGS CAN COME FROM THE COLLIE WHAT ABOUT LACK OF GUTS AND DRIVE? SAW A LOT OF COLLIE CROSSES THAT GIVE UP TOO EASY. TOO MUCH COLLIE CAN SPELL TROUBLE WHEN THE DOG GETS PUSHED HARD.

yes your absolutly right, :thumbs: and i know as my kelpie cross has a few bad points ,so as they say its not plain sailing.

a better way of putting would be to say , if your going to cross a collie, with a greyhound , maybee think about using an excisting lurcher that you know is a 100% grafter with lots good points.

of course i dont think any ones under any illusions that these dogs are going to be knocking over hares on big open land , in the dead of winter. :thumbs: