first crosses and reverse crosses

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

merle i like the three qaurter revers as they run in reverse lol dont doubt john as he emailed me and sounds agenuine guy ,about his dogs he even has pics of my dogs from 15 years ago in the old earth dog running dog he no one horse pony , i wouldnt bred a three qurter reverse but saw good strong qaulity halfcross got pics here catching 24 rabbs and two hares on a shingle waste ground near alburgh in suffolk now abird reserve but in the early ninties and even now tons of hares and rabbs but hard accses and not afence in site just rspb wardens lol

use to lamp that place all the time with me old man whin before they made it a reserve just a hell of a walk up them stones then back with with the hares and rabbits

I once owned a 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound which was virtually indestructible and impossible to tire out. To a big extent I feel it depends on where you work your dog and the quarry you're after eg. I catch more now on my present permission with pure kelpies than I ever did with lurchers...but maybe I just had crap lurchers! :icon_redface:

merle i like the three qaurter revers as they run in reverse lol dont doubt john as he emailed me and sounds agenuine guy ,about his dogs he even has pics of my dogs from 15 years ago in the old earth dog running dog he no one horse pony , i wouldnt bred a three qurter reverse but saw good strong qaulity halfcross got pics here catching 24 rabbs and two hares on a shingle waste ground near alburgh in suffolk now abird reserve but in the early ninties and even now tons of hares and rabbs but hard accses and not afence in site just rspb wardens lol

No disrespect to the guy or his dog, but i just find it hard to beleave the reverse cross come to terms with proper winter hares, even half crosses (collie/grey etc) will be hard pushed to do so but will still catch the odd hare that makes a silly mistake or is a nieve young un, lamping them increases the odds as there far easier in general to catch on the lamp but once theyve been ran a few times on the lamp hares zoom just like in the day even more so in some cases.

Spot on,ive had a few collixs , and they do take the odd big rabbit.But the word is [odd],most dont and you will break them if you keep trying fact. colliejohn bitch as taken quite a few big rabbits,and i have told him that she is [not norm] of this x. And she is a good little bitch, but it is silly to look upon this x as big rabbit dog. If you want a dog for that job, you need a [saluki hybred ] thats bred for that job fact.???

You always get one, iv,e ran my dogs all over the country from Scotland to Lands end, iv,e had hares in several counties Lancashire, Yorkshire, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, all to name a few, and let me tell you pal not all stone wall fields, my lamping pal, LamperJohn, off here, will tell you hares locally are very hard to catch, being big flat drill fields, with no fences of stone walls just big open fields with field ditches in that lead to wooded copses, my dog ain,t just a point and aim type of dog, she has a decent nose on her, and she finds her own stuff in the day, off which she has had several hares, my type maybe not be your type, but don,t knock what you don,t know. regards collie john.

Oh dear know ive heard it all a reverse 3/4 cross doing hares north to south, feild and fen, get real, youre talking about lamped hares mate, were they leverets or milky dows :clapper:

a good dog is where you find it. there is one thing for sure as soon as you say a certain type of lurcher cant do something. there will be someone that has the dog to prove you wrong. my first collie greyhound knocked over more hares than my saluki bloodied lurcher :yes: and he wasnt as fast as the saluki bred bitch. on merit she should have been better. but she wasnt??

some good dogs and tales :thumbs:

coco they look fine dogs mate whats in em :victory:

nite eys you made me happy there as i never thought many guys would had bothered i was working at sizwell b and had ahouse down there great crack had lots of good days coursing and ferreting got pics from there , fished there for whiting and cod , great days ,

You always get one, iv,e ran my dogs all over the country from Scotland to Lands end, iv,e had hares in several counties Lancashire, Yorkshire, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, all to name a few, and let me tell you pal not all stone wall fields, my lamping pal, LamperJohn, off here, will tell you hares locally are very hard to catch, being big flat drill fields, with no fences of stone walls just big open fields with field ditches in that lead to wooded copses, my dog ain,t just a point and aim type of dog, she has a decent nose on her, and she finds her own stuff in the

a good dog is where you find it. there is one thing for sure as soon as you say a certain type of lurcher cant do something. there will be someone that has the dog to prove you wrong. my first collie greyhound knocked over more hares than my saluki bloodied lurcher :yes: and he wasnt as fast as the saluki bred bitch. on merit she should have been better. but she wasnt??

some good dogs and tales :thumbs:

coco they look fine dogs mate whats in em :victory: