Quietest .22 Rimfire - need to be covert.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with the others on this - I have a CZ 452 with Parker Hale silencer.

The only difference is that it doesn't seem to like Winchester ammo, throwing the odd flyer. Since swapping to Eley subs it has been very accurate and consistent.

Sib

hehheheheee another parker hale fan!!!! but.......i use winchester subs and get on fine with em!!!!

maybe have a look n try the eleys......dunnoe if they are cheaper than the winchesters or not.

sauer

I'm with the others on this - I have a CZ 452 with Parker Hale silencer.

The only difference is that it doesn't seem to like Winchester ammo, throwing the odd flyer. Since swapping to Eley subs it has been very accurate and consistent.

Sib

hehheheheee another parker hale fan!!!! but.......i use winchester subs and get on fine with em!!!!

maybe have a look n try the eleys......dunnoe if they are cheaper than the winchesters or not.

sauer

Spend as little or as much as you want, It doesn't really matter. If you are a tackle tart, a nice s/s jobby with synthetic or laminated stock is the Biz, but will shoot no better than a grimey old bsa. :whistling:

Silenser/moderator on a .22 is also relativly unimportant. Anyone used with sub sonic ammo will be wisper quiet.

I swore by winny subs for years, cheap yes, consistant Oh No, Eley shoot far better in all my guns so far, Need to try for yourself :victory:

Have you considered a FAC rated air rifle? for the ranges your talking about I would of thought it would be ideal. No matter how quiet a Rimfire, it will never beat an air rifle for noise levels and with a decent moderator on they really are whisper quiet.

As already stated the most noise comes from the bullet strike, so an airrifle (even FAC rated) will make much less noise hitting it's target.

My first time out with a Rimmy I was actually surprised at the noise they make, I had been told how quiet they were but actually their louder than you think.

All the best with your decision

Luke.

Have you considered a FAC rated air rifle? for the ranges your talking about I would of thought it would be ideal. No matter how quiet a Rimfire, it will never beat an air rifle for noise levels and with a decent moderator on they really are whisper quiet.

As already stated the most noise comes from the bullet strike, so an airrifle (even FAC rated) will make much less noise hitting it's target.

My first time out with a Rimmy I was actually surprised at the noise they make, I had been told how quiet they were but actually their louder than you think.

Luke.

I had a .22 Ripley AR4 pnuematic air rifle, used to shoot at 35ft lb. Absolutely silent in operation, but when I got a .22rimfire I was amazed at the difference, not much more noise but not affected by the wind which was the blight of the FAC air gun so I wouldn't go that route to be honest. You will also get a rimmy for 1/2 the cost of a pnuematic air gun.

My 1st rimfire was a Bruno with a Parker Hale too :gunsmilie:

I had an air rifle some years back which I decided to have upgraded to FAC. When it came back it was flinging pellets all over the place at 28ft lbs with the spread of a shotgun out to 50mtrs . Contacted the manufacturer who recommended that I have a 19" barrel fitted as opposed to the standard 16"......this was only going to cost me an additional £150 to do so and they would keep the origional barrel too. Worst decission I have ever made in going down the air rifle FAC route. In the end I opted for a .22lr and have never looked back. :thumbs:

Luke.

I'd agree with Luke on this. Years ago I had a FAC rated Falcon FN19. superbly accurate to about 60 yds. I stupidly sold it because I thought the rimfire was a better option and I had problems with re-fills on the Falcon.

The rimfire, whilst quiet compared to an unmoderated .22 or a centre fire, is loud compared to a FAC air rifle.

I am seriously considering going back to this option as the ground I shoot on now has a lot of flints and I am very concerned about ricochets with the rimfire.

Sib

Luke.

I'd agree with Luke on this. Years ago I had a FAC rated Falcon FN19. superbly accurate to about 60 yds. I stupidly sold it because I thought the rimfire was a better option and I had problems with re-fills on the Falcon.

The rimfire, whilst quiet compared to an unmoderated .22 or a centre fire, is loud compared to a FAC air rifle.

I am seriously considering going back to this option as the ground I shoot on now has a lot of flints and I am very concerned about ricochets with the rimfire.

Sib

Maybe you need to expand/explain that? The rimfire is loud compared to a centrefire?????

Can I have some of whatever you're are taking mate?

Also tell me of something that does not ricochet more than a .22 air gun?

Taking it further if you want a ricochet free gun, get the hmr, but as the op has one and knows it is far from silent, it becomes a merry go round ;)

Edited by cyclonebri1

Luke.

Just a few observations on the above, my experience does not concur here!

I run a Falcon FN 19 at 26ft lb with a Falcon full mod (no detwanger), it is just as loud as my CZ .22lr with subs and a SAK, a pal has an 80ft lb Daystate and Mod and that is noisier than BOTH!

Ammo available for a .22lr runs from about 30ft lb caps, to 205ft lb, so a massive choice, no need to lug a bottle round all the time and recharge after a handful of shots (approx 8 shots per full charge on the Daystate----30 on my Falcon) and the .22lr is likely to be approx 1/4 to 1/2 the price of a FAC Air Rifle.

FAC Air Rifle also has terrible residuals, and by nature will need regular servicing.

Yes ...I run one, it is 10 years old and still going strong, but I have better alternatives now for when it eventually dies, it is just as noisy, or more so than the .22lr, much less convenient and much more expensive :thumbs:

If anyone is struggling with the power or noise of a .22lr I strongly suggest you try caps, short or longs, and don't forget shotshell is also available.

ATB :thumbs:

Luke.

Just a few observations on the above, my experience does not concur here!

I run a Falcon FN 19 at 26ft lb with a Falcon full mod (no detwanger), it is just as loud as my CZ .22lr with subs and a SAK, a pal has an 80ft lb Daystate and Mod and that is noisier than BOTH!

Ammo available for a .22lr runs from about 30ft lb caps, to 205ft lb, so a massive choice, no need to lug a bottle round all the time and recharge after a handful of shots (approx 8 shots per full charge on the Daystate----30 on my Falcon) and the .22lr is likely to be approx 1/4 to 1/2 the price of a FAC Air Rifle.

FAC Air Rifle also has terrible residuals, and by nature will need regular servicing.

Yes ...I run one, it is 10 years old and still going strong, but I have better alternatives now for when it eventually dies, it is just as noisy, or more so than the .22lr, much less convenient and much more expensive :thumbs:

If anyone is struggling with the power or noise of a .22lr I strongly suggest you try caps, short or longs, and don't forget shotshell is also available.

ATB :thumbs:

Hi deker, what is / are caps? and what is shotshell? :icon_redface:

Well it seems me and D are thinking alike so in his absence I'll try to help. Not sure about caps but low powered short .22 rimfire ammo is available to limit the performance of the gun. As used in pier end shooting galleries.

Also .22 shotgun loads, (dust shot), is availiable for very light weight applications.

I'll also add aquestion here because I've never done it. Will .22 dust shot damage a rifle??