Pcp vs good springer

I have used springers for years before I got my first PCP. Would I go back to using a springer???? No bloody chance. When I went to the THL meet there were a few springers about as well and I can still shoot with one more or less. But its a no contest and the PCP is for me in a different league.

I think that after the meet we are going to have one member that has always held up the flag for springers coming away from the dark side and get a AA410.

ATB

Michael

Yup, it's a fair cop, guv!!

It's a very long time ago when I first used a PCP and back then the shot counts really were low, the power varied a lot as the pressure changed and they were unreliable as hell.

I've used springers for over thirty years and loved (still do....) their reliable, self contained nature.

However..... At Davy's do, I had the chance to try a few modern PCPs. F**k me, times have changed!!!!

I'll never get rid of my spring guns but I really can see why so many folks have changed over.

All being well (Harvey ;) ), I should be collecting an AA410 next week.

There, sod it, arse to it all, I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I'm never going to live this one down!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Cheers. :icon_redface:

Edited by andyfr1968

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the noise is the main thing..that clat that acumpanies the recoil lol..verses ..shhhh thwup, no kick..no barrel breaking, pullll..pop in pellet..shut it..bang!!... or..17 shot mag slip it in and ping away. ok so once a day i have to fill a bottle up, verses it was a hard day shooting 300 rounds of with a springer...perhaps theyre for old folks? springers for young guys lol.

I have used springers for years before I got my first PCP. Would I go back to using a springer???? No bloody chance. When I went to the THL meet there were a few springers about as well and I can still shoot with one more or less. But its a no contest and the PCP is for me in a different league.

I think that after the meet we are going to have one member that has always held up the flag for springers coming away from the dark side and get a AA410.

ATB

Michael

Yup, it's a fair cop, guv!!

It's a very long time ago when I first used a PCP and back then the shot counts really were low, the power varied a lot as the pressure changed and they were unreliable as hell.

I've used springers for over thirty years and loved (still do....) their reliable, self contained nature.

However..... At Davy's do, I had the chance to try a few modern PCPs. F**k me, times have changed!!!!

I'll never get rid of my spring guns but I really can see why so many folks have changed over.

All being well (Harvey ;) ), I should be collecting an AA410 next week.

There, sod it, arse to it all, I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I'm never going to live this one down!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Cheers. :icon_redface:

You know you'll love it :clapper:

Having spent a few moments behind a van with Davy I can honestly say, that is equipment is smaller but more modern then mine.

Splitting my sides now :clapper:

That's CLASSIC :rofl:

Now back on track I agree, the 77 IS a Quality piece of kit :yes:

Phantom

Having said that I did find out that his knob was leaking but I think a new ring would get rid of that problem.

I'd just like to add that the blisters on my hand were indeed from cocking my GUN and not from cocking of any other kind.

Not at all. Honest......

There must be some other reason for the lower than normal tone of my farts. Ahem.....

Cheers.

Having spent a few moments behind a van with Davy I can honestly say, that is equipment is smaller but more modern then mine.

Phantom

Having said that I did find out that his knob was leaking but I think a new ring would get rid of that problem.

I'd just like to add that the blisters on my hand were indeed from cocking my GUN and not from cocking of any other kind.

Not at all. Honest......

There must be some other reason for the lower than normal tone of my farts. Ahem.....

Cheers.

And that my friend is the real reason that you want a PCP, so you too can spend some quality time behind the van with davy's equipment. You are fed up with getting blisters on your hands. ;)

ATB

Michael

Phantom

Not at all. Honest......

Cheers.

And that my friend is the real reason that you want a PCP, so you too can spend some quality time behind the van with davy's equipment. You are fed up with getting blisters on your hands. ;)

ATB

Michael

What can I say?? You've got me bang to rights.

No more heavy handed manual cocking for me!! I could see you two going off behind the van and I just felt sooooooo left out.

Filling each others gear up behind my back.... You pair of buggers!

Cheers!!!!!!!

Edit to say..... As this isn't the banter section, I still really rate my HW90 as a first class springer. It's done me proud for many years.

I'm just a little fed up with blisters on my palms but that's another story..........

Edited by andyfr1968

Phantom

Not at all. Honest......

Cheers.

ATB

Michael

What can I say?? You've got me bang to rights.

No more heavy handed manual cocking for me!! I could see you two going off behind the van and I just felt sooooooo left out.

Filling each others gear up behind my back.... You pair of buggers!

Cheers!!!!!!!

Edit to say..... As this isn't the banter section, I still really rate my HW90 as a first class springer. It's done me proud for many years.

I'm just a little fed up with blisters on my palms but that's another story..........

I thought the same thing about my HW77, thats why I still have it, and still use it for plinking sessions :D

I have reread this thread and have tried to read past the banter and the "feelings" ( for lack of a better word ) about the PCP v. Springer . If one is honest about it they are not in the same league.

I'll try to sum it up from a rational point of view.

As a pro I hear as a pro for the springer the " unlimited shot count " that's just bollocks.

The PCP with the lowest shot counts like the HW100 or BSA Ultra still knock out 40 odd shots on a bad day and that's more wabbits then I want to carry back to the car in one go. By the way the refill cylinder is in that car so I can fill whenever I get back there.

lets get to the plinking /target shooting part with the same argument. I have to fill my gun every 50 odd shots and that takes me a minute. If I am in a place where i want to do some serious plinking i have the filling gear near by. So i fill my gun 10 times to get through a tin of pellets. By the time someone with a springer has let off 500 accurate shots. I am on my second pint in the pub and don't have a shaky arm or blisters from knocking the barrel to cock the gun.

Next one: A good springer is almost as accurate as a good PCP. Well yes almost but not quite and as far as groups go ..... size does matter. another plus is that a PCP does not give a fart how I hold it it will shoot the same and I can shoot it off hand or off a bipod and will still have the same POI.

Next please: A springer is nearly as quiet as a PCP ................. sorry that one is not going to stick is it now. I am not even going to go into this one and the only thing I would recommend to someone who thinks that, is to get a hearing aid, as for those, a pneumatic drill is nearly as quiet as a toaster.

Next: The price .... springers are cheaper, so they are better. Yep,a Ford KA is better then a Aston Martin because its cheaper. That should make sense to anyone.

Then come the power guys. Here is some news a pellet that is on its way with 11.5 ft/lbs does not give a fart what type make or stock material the gun is that spat it out. 11.5 is 11.5 in any ones book.

Another good one for the springer is " I get more satisfaction out of shooting a springer ". Of course you do as they are more difficult to shoot and hit things with them. That is not something I would be after in a hunting situation as I would want to go with the more accurate tool for the job to get a clean kill. Keep the satisfaction side of the game on the range. Or eat a can of baked beans, stick a pebble up yer backside, wait for a good fart and try to knock over an empty beer can at five yards. If you can do that, you'll have the world of satisfaction. Just don't tell anyone that you did it.

I know this post looks like I am knocking the spring guns. I am not. All I am saying is that there are better tools out there in the 21st century to bag something for the pot.

The only argument I can understand is if someone says " I cant afford to either buy or run a PCP and then that is fine by me and rather then not go out at all you will have to make do with what you can afford. That is the argument I can understand and they are great to get new people into the sport at little cost. if you have the odd pigeon in your garden that thinks eating your crops is a good idea and you take 20 shots a year with a air rifle the springer has its place there as well as getting a PCP for that would be a bit OTT. But other then that ...... worlds meet.

ATB

Michael

PCP's will out shoot springers 99.9% of the time with little or no effort, point and click.

Springers are nice if you appreciate mechanical performance and managing recoil.

I have a V mach tunned .177 HW77K and a HW100, it's just easier to shoot the pcp, even though both will do a single ragged hole with 10 pellets at 30 yards.

Bryan

Aaaahh! Another HW77 man, cant knock mine, love it :D

I have the trusty HW77k, its big its heavy its noisy but it never lets me down period. I know a few people with PCP and they are great when they work but if you want 100% reliabilty then you cant go wrong with a springer because there is less to go wrong with them. If it came to a survival situation and I had to rely on it for food then its springer all the way for me!! Just my opinon