fenn traps mk 6

Hi Guys....i seen a post the other day about someone using mk6 traps for rabbits ...i have never used them for rabbits but how productive are they compared to using snares.......How do you go about setting them up ???...Where do you set them ????....also is there not a bigger risk to catching non target species????....any help or some photo's of how you set them up would be helpful...cheers Davy

Hi Guys....i seen a post the other day about someone using mk6 traps for rabbits ...i have never used them for rabbits but how productive are they compared to using snares.......How do you go about setting them up ???...Where do you set them ????....also is there not a bigger risk to catching non target species????....any help or some photo's of how you set them up would be helpful...cheers Davy

dont bury owt mate, lookat the aticles on here,that will get you started, the rest is common sense ,make sure your traps bedded down ,pegs well in,cover the plate with peat ,the safetys off,and your away .

Cheers ..i will have a look at the articles that you are talkin about ......I have maybe half a dozen lyin in the cupboard which are not gettin used and i thought about tryin my hand at catchin some rabbits for ferret/hawk food ....Davy

bury them in the entrance hole/warren

dont bury owt mate,

,make sure your traps bedded down ,,cover the plate with peat ,the safetys off,and your away .

:hmm: thought thats what I said

or are you suggesting to place them directly in the tunnel entrance and then covering with peat, so its raised off the ground :hmm:

Its easily done, just as mentioned check the trap in the hole first in the closed position to ensure it will fit and fire free of obstruction. Scrape a bed out for it, set the fenn with the safety on, ensure its firm in the ground, use fine soil to build up either side of trap then cover the pan, and remove the safety... I bend the pan up on traps slightly, when I'm sticking them in rabbit holes.. You can also block all the holes if wanted like has been said then trap the ones that have been cleared..

fennrabbit1.jpg

fennrabbit2.jpg

Its easily done, just as mentioned check the trap in the hole first in the closed position to ensure it will fit and fire free of obstruction. Scrape a bed out for it, set the fenn with the safety on, ensure its firm in the ground, use fine soil to build up either side of trap then cover the pan, and remove the safety... I bend the pan up on traps slightly, when I'm sticking them in rabbit holes.. You can also block all the holes if wanted like has been said then trap the ones that have been cleared..

How do you mean bend the pan up slightly ian?Sorry just cant get it in my brain

:wallbash: cheers

I was wondering the above too??? I somehow managed to bend mine out of shape so it now sticks up and is difficult to cover.

A point I cannot stress enough is make sure the safety is on! I fractured several bones in my hand when covering it up and still have the marks (I was lucky this particular was rather old and had crap springs otherwise Id have broken the bones!)

ATB

Jordan

As Matt said.........you will find a "Setting Stick" useful for sliding under the trap plate whilst covering with soil and also for flicking off the safety catch when you have covered the trap........saves fingers getting in harms way ;) Not everyone uses them but i find them beneficial. You just need a length of straight hazel 9-10 inches long with a taper at one end.

post-12022-1251976204.jpg