Dog or Owner

Dog or owner  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is it the owner or the breed

• Owner
    • Dog

Guest jt750

Personally i think its a lot to do with the owners bringing any natural aggression to the surface. Also foolish people breeding aggressive dogs to aggressive dogs to increase the natural aggression in the breed or cross breed

i think it depends as its sometimes bred in to the dog and other times its the owners

Ah true, but like i was saying to our lass, a pup is a blank canvas, you can make it how you want.

Not always true mate, have been around dogs with what I'd have considered high prey drive most of my life, but the last year has opened my eyes.

You can not over ride instinct, you can control it to some extent, but by f**k if it kicks in under the wrong circumstances then you're in the shit!

It's a good job I make a good heavy anchor is all I'm saying, even so I was very nearly on my arse.

Some breeds are for experienced owners only, God knows what would have happened if it had been some little kid holding my big dog when he decided to go ..............

i think it depends as its sometimes bred in to the dog and other times its the owners

Ah true, but like i was saying to our lass, a pup is a blank canvas, you can make it how you want.

Not always true mate, have been around dogs with what I'd have considered high prey drive most of my life, but the last year has opened my eyes.

You can not over ride instinct, you can control it to some extent, but by f**k if it kicks in under the wrong circumstances then you're in the shit!

It's a good job I make a good heavy anchor is all I'm saying, even so I was very nearly on my arse.

Some breeds are for experienced owners only, God knows what would have happened if it had been some little kid holding my big dog when he decided to go ..............

SS you're a top bloke but you wont miss an opportunity to advertise will ya?!!!!

Swampy

Ninging for the ad agency

SS you're a top bloke but you wont miss an opportunity to advertise will ya?!!!!

Swampy

I believe he was talking about being able to hold the dog back by anchoring himself rather than advertising a product of his.

Swampy

You misunderstood!

I'm a good 18 stone, I therefore "make a good anchor"

The gear I make is the bit between the dog and the anchor.

Ninging for those who read too fast and jump to conclusions ........ :laugh:

Its a question that simply doesnt have a straightforward answer.....yes in some cases the owner is a fool attracted to the wrong breed for the wrong reasons.......but a dog can only be what it is genetically capable of being......

When you stop a greyhound from running the dog becomes a victim of its own genetics.

When you stop a pit bull from fighting the dog becomes a victim of its own genetics........and will naturally seek to release its energy in other ways.

When you breed away from what a dog was originally bred to do over many generations you interfere with what that dog essentially is...........in the pit bulls case turning a fighting dog into a pet dog owned by idiots is a recipe for disaster.....owners fault or dogs ?...you could say both only dogs dont choose their owners !

Guest busterdog

Just voted for both as i firmly believe that its partly the owner for not socializing their pup and teaching it manners, but you cant get out what isn't in em, if they are bred from bad temperaments then like begets like.

Just been watching that Send In The Dogs on channel 3, and though i would see what you lot think about this 'Dangerous Dogs Act' Is it the owner or the breed?

Paddy

I read a letter from a vet in the Independent a few years back. He said that the dogs most often brought in to be tranquillised, castrated or put down were Labs and flat coats. Big intelligent working dogs bought by ya-de-da twits who shut the beast up all day, take it down the road to crap on someone else's front lawn then act all upset because the dog gets bored, wrecks the furniture and turns aggressive. Wouldn't you?

Owner or dog? As said above, if some berk buys the wrong dog for the life it's going to lead it's the owners fault. The writer went on to say that the dogs he saw least were Rotties and Ridgebacks. Only people who know what they doing buy dogs like that.

If you're not gonna work it you'd damn well better walk it.

RicW

Its a question that simply doesnt have a straightforward answer.....yes in some cases the owner is a fool attracted to the wrong breed for the wrong reasons.......but a dog can only be what it is genetically capable of being......

When you stop a greyhound from running the dog becomes a victim of its own genetics.

When you stop a pit bull from fighting the dog becomes a victim of its own genetics........and will naturally seek to release its energy in other ways.

When you breed away from what a dog was originally bred to do over many generations you interfere with what that dog essentially is...........in the pit bulls case turning a fighting dog into a pet dog owned by idiots is a recipe for disaster.....owners fault or dogs ?...you could say both only dogs dont choose their owners !

Spot on, any dog can feckin hurt you, from jack- dane. But when a powerful dog which as above , kicks off you are in Big shit. Bryn my 1x collie grey is 24in 59lb, is strong and feckin big teeth. And when you see him crunch a feckin beef bone, he could do alot of damage. But other breeds which are more powerful, are in a differnt league .And yes some breeds [do] get in the [wrong] hands. :yes: