What cross for woodland?

I run a deer x and a beardie x through woodland, some of it quite dense, I'd never run a whippet or whippet type through it, you need something resilient with a good coat, tough skin and brains to know when to put the brakes on.

_DSC0872-131.jpg

_DSC4681-35.jpg

_DSC4594-116.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

snap totaly agree , you dont need little dogs when big dogs can do the job better especially when some thing bigger than a rabbit is put up :clapper:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snap totaly agree , you dont need little dogs when big dogs can do the job better especially when some thing bigger than a rabbit is put up :clapper:

couldn agree more big dogs do work well in woodland

ide say its doen to personal choice realy guys ;)

jb

I've not got loads of experience but would go for something with good coat/skin - one of mine, thrown strongly to the border collie side hardly ever gets cuts or tears whereas the other, with thinner skin, tears easily. I try to keep him out of dense woodland whereas she can run through it no problem and she's about 26", 27kg. She's bright, too and has never run into anything.

I run a deer x and a beardie x through woodland, some of it quite dense, I'd never run a whippet or whippet type through it, you need something resilient with a good coat, tough skin and brains to know when to put the brakes on.

_DSC0872-131.jpg

_DSC4681-35.jpg

_DSC4594-116.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

smashin pics keeps

Dont need to be small for cover, just a little agile. Seen some outstanding 3/8 5/8 bull x catch a wide range of things in cover. Clever, nimble and an excellent nose to hunt on. Only trouble is battling through miles of trees to find them when they catch :clapper:

a good 3/4 bull/whippet will do the job

i have a bull/whippet and would not run it in woodland would do the job

but too thin skined think i would be laying it up more than she got worked tbh

ive got one shes nearly 9 now and loves it. as you say (think) it would be laying up. says it all

have a look into a saluki/whippet, run my whippet with my grandparents saluki/whippet. he much faster and better on the turn but in the woods whippet can't get near it. that odd way they run seams to help with the ground cover,fallen branches and the uneven surface. J.M.O

Dont need to be small for cover, just a little agile. Seen some outstanding 3/8 5/8 bull x catch a wide range of things in cover. Clever, nimble and an excellent nose to hunt on. Only trouble is battling through miles of trees to find them when they catch :clapper:

have to get there fast , or theres not much worth saving , :D ........ eating stewed meat all the time wears a little thin after a while :thumbs:

my rough coated collie cross works well in our woods, working most cover and catching fur and feather and touch wood hasnt come a cropper yet, but shes been walking these woods since she was jabbed. id go for something with a rough coat, a lick of brains and bring them up finding their own way thru cover logs etc

have a look into a saluki/whippet, run my whippet with my grandparents saluki/whippet. he much faster and better on the turn but in the woods whippet can't get near it. that odd way they run seams to help with the ground cover,fallen branches and the uneven surface. J.M.O

ive owned sukuki xs all my life mate good dogs but definately a no goer for woodland work :no:

my saluki/bull/greyhound , is 28 itts and 90 lb , out in the open shes not that quick and takes a few extra strides to get in top gear , but in a wood ,belive me she can get where she has too , and has a sort of bouncing running style and what she cant jump over will just go through , she,s smooth coated but will go through any cover and with as good a nose as ive seen on anything but where as my rabbiting bitch{whippet/greyhound x tumbler} will mark cover and will not enter until i give a command , my big bitch will just go straight in , i allways work 2 dogs when pushing a wood through my small bitch and a bull x and seem to do ok , one will work to heel and one a bit further away atb mr poach