no lead near busy roads your opinions

noticed a lot of youngsters seem to walk about with their dogs off the lead near busy roads admit i used to do this myself till had a fatal accident with a lurcher that i thought was bomb proof at heel i was walking down street and as i neared corner of a street next to road man came running round corner nearly ran into dog but dog jumped back to avoid him straight in front of a car ill never forget the sight of my pal as he came out from front of car to path with his front leg hanging on by sliver of skin and lumps out of him all over probably haunt me for the rest of my life as there was only one person to blame for his death ME if he had been on leader it would never have happened now i never take that chance. interested to see how many people walk their dogs without lead

noticed a lot of youngsters seem to walk about with their dogs off the lead near busy roads admit i used to do this myself till had a fatal accident with a lurcher that i thought was bomb proof at heel i was walking down street and as i neared corner of a street next to road man came running round corner nearly ran into dog but dog jumped back to avoid him straight in front of a car ill never forget the sight of my pal as he came out from front of car to path with his front leg hanging on by sliver of skin and lumps out of him all over probably haunt me for the rest of my life as there was only one person to blame for his death ME if he had been on leader it would never have happened now i never take that chance. interested to see how many people walk their dogs without lead

i live in a big town where the roads are ALWAYS busy and the drivers arent exactly careful, i see lots of dogs off the lead next to the road, far too many times. and sadly have also witnessed a dog being run over due to no lead, luckily not one of my own but it was a hirrible thing to watch as we were in the car that had to swerve to miss him, sadly someone else couldnt swerve. i would never ever ever consider it, dont get me wrong my little ones dont ever really go on leads but near busy roads they get picked up, and my bigger ones well lets just say it hasnt ever happened and never will i might trust my dog its everyone else i dont.

i would never let my dog walk off the lead if there was a road anywere near me, a mate of mine use to bring his dog out without a lead i dont even think he owned one for that matter and she would never leave his side, if he told her to cross over the road she did and would come back when he told her to aswell.

cheers, jay.

its a disaster waiting to happen,anyone who does it should have there dogs took off em :angry:

:yes: I see a lot of folks doing this, not just youngersters. For one thing I would not let my kids be in charge of the dogs near busy roads in the first place ... but to have the dog off lead? Not a chance. All it takes is one squirrel, one cat, maybe a loud noise and your dog is road pizza. Even the most obedient of dogs is capable of slipping up and forgetting itself. Not worth the risk. I'm a bit fanatical about having mine on lead near roads.

its a disaster waiting to happen,anyone who does it should have there dogs took off em :angry:

:yes: I see a lot of folks doing this, not just youngersters. For one thing I would not let my kids be in charge of the dogs near busy roads in the first place ... but to have the dog off lead? Not a chance. All it takes is one squirrel, one cat, maybe a loud noise and your dog is road pizza. Even the most obedient of dogs is capable of slipping up and forgetting itself. Not worth the risk. I'm a bit fanatical about having mine on lead near roads.

spot on again lg :clapper: its not just the dog tho,a car with a family in swerving to avoid the dog,car overturns.....

nuff said ;)

Guest STORM CHASER

Dogs should always be on leads near roads....it's just common sence....you love your dog. Look after it......If mine saw a cat it would be gone...road or no road...Lead them up and look after them..... ;)

The Road Traffic Act 1988 It is an offence to have a dog on a designated road without it being held on a lead. Local authorities may have similar bye-laws covering public areas. :(

The Control of Dogs Order 1992

This mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable). :blink:

I have one of those leads that sort of wind in and can be about 6m when fully extended ... when walking beside quiet residential roads I let my dog (who is well enough behaved for me to trust to an extent) to have control of about 6m of leash but when there is a car, person or animal I shorten it. When walking along a busy road he is always on a short a lead as possible, but I let him off once we are away from roads and as he knows the walks and enjoys them he happily obliges to behave and stay on track to an acceptable degree.

It is pure maddnes to walk any dog unleashed near roads and also illeagal so i have been told. :wallbash:

Says a man whose username is poacher :clapper:

But yeah it is stupid, i done it for a while, think oh look at my clever little dog, until i got abit cleverer myself and realised it was alot easier and alot less stupid to put the dog on the lead rather than have to keep and eye out for cats etc

I always have my one on a lead near roads hes not used to cars as hes just over the chasing wheels thing (colliex) But iv seen far too many people without leads near roads mainly young lads with staffs in the town. I once saw a group of lads walking next to the main road during rush hour with a wee staff pup no more than about 12 weeks old! It was tiny had no collar, lead, anything! It was a good few yards behind them on a narrow pavement. Luckily I saw it, as it tried to avoid me and my mates, before it went on the road to get out of the way so I picked him up and popped back next to the boys. (they didnt seem to care or notice)

ATB

Jordan