Nasty Ferret Kit

I have got a 12 week old jill ferret kit. When I had her at about 6 and a half weeks old she was lovely but when the weeks went passed she started to get nasty. She turns her head around and bites your hand, she even locked onto my thumb and started to shake it. What can I do to stop her from biting me. She also tries to bite if ur hand goes anywhere near her face.

What can I do. Please help.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only advice i will give you is dont chastise the ferret for biting, feed plenty , more than the ferret can eat in one sitting , in other words if theres some food left over after each meal then your feeding enough.

These kits here are around 7 weeks old & have teeth & know how to use them , they are having 3 meat meals a day & they are also having a small dish of dry food down all the time , something i dont normally use but i suspect they had been offered it previously as they clean the dish everyday

Also handle after a meat meal , when there bellys are full , far less bites , they will nip however as part of play , i play with these kits alot & there already getting used to being played with daily & now climb up my legs when i go into there run , its all part of them growing up & if you look how rough they are with each other they just need to be a little less rough with there human carers :laugh:

Guest jt750

I don't keep ferts anymore but what i used to do was hand feed then bits of meat or dry so they associated hands with good things ...as for flicking noses cruel b@stard

I don't keep ferts anymore but what i used to do was hand feed then bits of meat or dry so they associated hands with good things ...as for flicking noses cruel b@stard

well i aint cruel and i've given all my little fezzers a flick at some point i handle my litters as early as possible to get them accustomed to being held but there is always one or two. let's put it into contex the flick i've given mine is nothing compared to the beating a strong buck can dish out

Must admit mine get a tap on the nose, always handle after a full belly, I put whipped cream in my hand so they associate my hands with the cream and not something that grabs them and lifts them up all the time. Offer your knuckles at first and keep handling sessions short/numerous and always end on a positive note.................

Must admit mine get a tap on the nose, always handle after a full belly, I put whipped cream in my hand so they associate my hands with the cream and not something that grabs them and lifts them up all the time. Offer your knuckles at first and keep handling sessions short/numerous and always end on a positive note.................

my way of doing it has never resulted in harm to the little buggers and it seems to have worked so much so that i allow (wait for the tide of sh1t) my 6 year old to handle, feed and play whenever she wants with them. Yes she knows to offer her knuckles not fingers don't be to quick in movements etc still waiting for her to have that painful learning curve but it hasn't happened yet :whistling::D

Biting kits? You can tell it's that time of year again! :laugh:

I find that the ferret doesn't know it's hurting you, 9 times out of 10, it's playing. You have to remember that a ferret has tough skin, and they sort of assume it's the case with humans. I find that if you indicate clearly enough to the kit by yelping, or hissing at it, it will gradually learn what is acceptable and what isn't. I can allow my full grown hobs to bite on my finger without it hurting, and play a gentle game of tug or war. It takes a lot of trust on both sides to get a ferret so tame, and a lot of patience, but once you're there, you'll end up with a ferret that you can trust 100% not to hurt you. :thumbs:

..oh, and it always helps to handle them when they've got a full belly! ;)

Biting kits? You can tell it's that time of year again! :laugh:

I find that the ferret doesn't know it's hurting you, 9 times out of 10, it's playing. You have to remember that a ferret has tough skin, and they sort of assume it's the case with humans. I find that if you indicate clearly enough to the kit by yelping, or hissing at it, it will gradually learn what is acceptable and what isn't. I can allow my full grown hobs to bite on my finger without it hurting, and play a gentle game of tug or war. It takes a lot of trust on both sides to get a ferret so tame, and a lot of patience, but once you're there, you'll end up with a ferret that you can trust 100% not to hurt you. :thumbs:

..oh, and it always helps to handle them when they've got a full belly! ;)

i play like this with my big hob he loves a good play scrap out of the jills (which are all well handled) omly one will play like this the other three preferring to hold onto something else pants, socks etc but not fingers or any flesh

Guest jt750

A big difference between a tap on the nose and a "good" flick on the nose IMO

A big difference between a tap on the nose and a "good" flick on the nose IMO

don't want to start a row but chastising something does not mean violent abuse there is a line that we all know about wheather it is our dogs, ferrets or kids they all get a telling then after that a clip not a good hiding. i've got a rescued fezzer that has had the old trick of having it's teeth ripped out (poor little f0cker) not even sure of the benifits of this practice she struggles to eat (but i have seen the other jills tearing pieces of rabbit and dropping them near to her wheather this is intentional is anybodys guess) that is abuse

I think the main thing is making sure that the breeder handles the kits from a young age.. I got a ferret at 3 months old and she was a horrid nipper that often caused bleeding wounds on my hands and lip (Yes, I do kiss my ferrets on the nose).. She seldom nips now, when she would nip I would pick her up quickly and say "NO!" loudly.. I would also scruff her sometimes, and like I said.. She rarely bites now.

I have got a 12 week old jill ferret kit. When I had her at about 6 and a half weeks old she was lovely but when the weeks went passed she started to get nasty. She turns her head around and bites your hand, she even locked onto my thumb and started to shake it. What can I do to stop her from biting me. She also tries to bite if ur hand goes anywhere near her face.

What can I do. Please help.

Handle them often ,feed them,[full rabbits or birds none of that baggrd shite]fresh water, clean bedding,room to grow, thats all it takes,as for tapping them on the nose , a load of tosh, spouted by people who know F A about looking after ferrets

in my opinion.