what age do they stop growing

ive a whippet x greyhound and hes coming up to 5 months old. he is about 14"tts and im just wondering what age will he stop growing and what height can i expect him to grow to??
i got a collie whippet grey he 9 months and 20" and has been there for a while now so maybe another inch or two over the next couple of months will do him,the outher dogs have been about the same stopping between 10 and 12 months
ive a whippet x greyhound and hes coming up to 5 months old. he is about 14"tts and im just wondering what age will he stop growing and what height can i expect him to grow to??
i got a collie whippet grey he 9 months and 20" and has been there for a while now so maybe another inch or two over the next couple of months will do him,the outher dogs have been about the same stopping between 10 and 12 months

thanks dawnraider :thumbs:

depends on size

normally as said above 10 to 12 months

but if there going to be big i,e 24 inch and above e,t,c ull find somtimes they will still have some growth in them 12 months to 15 months

bro, got a pup now 2 weeks off 12 month,,,still got abit off growing yet,,think she wont be quite grown till 15 month,,,,due to her size

my dogs growing done at--just to giv u a rough guide i found with my mutts

my 21 1/2 inch dog----10 month, growing about done

my 22 1/4 inch dog---12 month, growing about done

my 25 inch dog --14 month , growing about done,,exept for he didnt to fill out till he was 18month ( i,e abit more muscele )

Edited by whip x grey

I have had deerhound/greyhounds that didn't finish growing until they were 2 1/2, but were perfectly capable of light work from 12 months or so.

a good way to tell how much growth a dog got is behind the wrist if you run ya finger down your fine a grove. on the side there be a lump on the bone .when thats levels out thats move or less the hight of ya dog its only a guide

• 12 years later...

Hi I have a Scottish deerhound x greyhound he is 7months next week and 28 "TTS just wondering when the average age is they stop growing in height I know these dogs don't properly mature till they are around 18 months I have had lurchurs before but only saluki x whippet this is the first time I have had this breed his father was 32 "tts

2 hours ago, Greavesy said:

Hi I have a Scottish deerhound x greyhound he is 7months next week and 28 "TTS just wondering when the average age is they stop growing in height I know these dogs don't properly mature till they are around 18 months I have had lurchurs before but only saluki x whippet this is the first time I have had this breed his father was 32 "tts

Sounds like he might mek 6 foot

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Greavesy said:

Recon you’ll no what you’ve got at 12 month height wise , never had a dog go more than half inch more than it was at 12 month , bitches about 10-11 month , normally with big breed dogs shoot up very early 

My first cross deer/grey bitch was 27" and 62 lb at seven months.

I'll measure her again on Monday when she'll be eight month, but I know she's just a shade under 28" today.

My last 1st cross bitch had finished growing by 11-12 months.

IMG_1692.JPG.81ef04a48aeeb4a3f44311f9b09157c6.JPG

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1

Long bone growth plates tend to be closed by 10 to 11 months, fill out from there so may look bigger. Smaller they are the younger they'll get to final height. 

Whippet growth chart. 

download.jpeg.6f91a0b4d9eed377e7708c8ad766bd96.jpeg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1