servilian sniper rifle

iv just got my fac in .22 .223 and .308. now i was just wondering as a rifle for .308 what would be the best for doing deer and long distance target i no your never going to get the best of both worlds but i was thinking surely a servilian version of a sniper rifle could offer both in one rifle i.e accurate to 800yds but good enough to be managelbe and not to heavy to stalk deer with.

yours views and opinions would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mate, if you are looking for an accurate rifle to do both you will sacrifice weight,

the rifle of choice would be a sako TRG22 used with a double shoulder sling..... not ideal for hill stalking but will be fine on open field,

super accurate too...

it is the rifle of choice for many civilian and military units............

Snap.

iv just got my fac in .22 .223 and .308. now i was just wondering as a rifle for .308 what would be the best for doing deer and long distance target i no your never going to get the best of both worlds but i was thinking surely a servilian version of a sniper rifle could offer both in one rifle i.e accurate to 800yds but good enough to be managelbe and not to heavy to stalk deer with.

Was this a variation, or do you have a very friendly FEO. Lucky to get all three calibres on a new cert ;)

Guest busterdog

DSC00522.jpg

Remy 700 PSS with free floating barrel, jewel trigger, glass bedded action and wild dog thumb hole stock and not to forget re crowned barrel, 5x25x56 Schmidt & bender PM 11-2 .

Very accurate gun, but very heavy, 1-9 twist barrel, i am putting 55 grains through it at the min but when i start reloading would like to go heavier, although it has done alright up till now...1/2" group at 100 yard "most of the time" :icon_redface: .

I dont know to much on this topic and im not criticising you what so ever busterdog bus i thought a remy 700 was a British army sniper rifle. I thought they would be able to shoot within 50mm at about 700 yards??

Hughesey

no mate the US army use, amongst others, a rifle based loosely on the remington 700 but each one is customised to each soldier's needs. the British army have recently traded in their old rifle for this as a standard issue.

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/support-weapons/1459.aspx

Guest busterdog

Wouldn't no mate, don't reload so wouldn't feel confident in taking a shot like that and would sooner do the foxes justice in a guaranteed clean kill.

Half inch group with over the counter bullets seems good to me but what do i know.

Edited by busterdog
Wouldn't now mate, don't reload so wouldn't feel confident in taking a shot like that and would sooner do the foxes justice in a guaranteed clean kill.

Half inch group with over the counter bullets seems good to me but what do i know.

i reckon anyone who can get their rifle to group 1/2 MOA at 100 yards for hunting purposes only is on to a winner. in real terms, you don't need anything better than that because there really is no need. of course alot of people want to get the best accuracy they can out of their rifle but if you're happy with your accuracy no need to do anything about it.

Long range targets, done seriously, = a separate rifle. You can combine them but you basically just take your target rifle out after deer, with a different bullet.

You are right to think of the 'sniper' type weapons for this role. Tactical rifles will have a medium/heavy barrel and to 800 yards a good one will do decently on paper. F/TR folks like their 30 inch barrel for velocity reasons to 1000 yards though, so one to be aware of.

You will also need a good scope, Leupold or Nightforce are very popular for the target work due to their internal adjustments, they have good range and are known for repeatability. In your situation, go with Leupold - they weigh a LOT less than Nightforce, despite having optics which, while inferior to NF, S&B, Swaro et al, are perfectly acceptable. I would opt for the 4.5-14x50, will do all you need.

Rifle-wise, Remington 700 has a lot going for it. PSS is pretty good, or you can get SPS Varmint and get an aftermarket stock for it.

If you are only conditioned to use 308 for target then don't even think about taking it out in the field. Even if you don't get banged up you'll be banned from possessing any firearm ever again. And if you shoot deer without a DSC and permission you'll land yourself in deep s**t. Frankly sunshine you should get a life. :censored: