servilian sniper rifle

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where does it say at any point that he's only condition for range work?

He's just got his FAC for 22lr, 223, 308 - he says. No mention of DSC. 308 will not be conditioned for fox only, though you can use it for fox if you are conditioned for deer. The obvious conclusion is that he's got it for range use. The fuzz can get really arsey about people using target guns in the field. That's all bruv. Just don't want the guy to drop himself in it through ignorance of the law.

Ric :nono:

Why should there be a mention of dsc? There is no requirement for DSC for a 308 for deer. I don't have it, and I have 308 for deer and fox.

Fair enough but another contributor to this forum asked about getting a 308 for fox and was told NO. If this guy with the new FAC is legal for deer then why is he asking damn fool questions about sniper rifles? One or t'other but not both. You ought to realise that Mr L. Long range target rifle = 26" heavy barrel. Deer stalking gun = 21-22" barrel max. Anyway whatever let's not fall out! ATB to y'all

Ric

if the person is strong enough to carry any barrel profile then nothing is to stop him from a longer barrel, albeit a little added weight...

On the glass front if you want to stalk with it either s&b or leupold, as the nightforce is poor is low light levels at both dusk and dawn,

and before comments fly i've shot with the NF and couldn't see a thing through it for some time in dawn conditions while the leupold was able to make out deer 20 before hand......

the NF is an excellent range scope however when low light levels are not an issue...

If foxing and stalking are key then a light rifle will handle a little range work too.... ;)

the rem 700 varients are a good platform to build stuff off as there are shed loads of things you can upgrade too.......

Snap.

Why should there be a mention of dsc? There is no requirement for DSC for a 308 for deer. I don't have it, and I have 308 for deer and fox.

Fair enough but another contributor to this forum asked about getting a 308 for fox and was told NO. If this guy with the new FAC is legal for deer then why is he asking damn fool questions about sniper rifles? One or t'other but not both. You ought to realise that Mr L. Long range target rifle = 26" heavy barrel. Deer stalking gun = 21-22" barrel max. Anyway whatever let's not fall out! ATB to y'all

Ric

I feel the need to go and shoot a deer with my target rifle... If you ask for a 308 JUST for fox, you will be told no. If you ask for a 308 for DEER and fox, you will be told yes, according to ACPO guidelines.

He's actually not asking a 'damn fool question'. I understand that he's clearly not very experienced here, but we have to start somewhere. The idea of one rifle for both is not new. Generally it is accepted that two rifles are the best way to go, but it can be done with one, and the targets need more rifle than the deer, so the targets must be priority.

We don't know whether or not the deer condition is on ticket; it is not up to us to be questioning and suspicious all the time - not all constabularies take it upon themselves to prevent people taking up shooting.

Snap, we'll have to agree to disagree on the Nightforce, I find mine as good in low light as my Schmidt, assuming I turn it down to 8 mag so I get the full 7mm exit pupil. I don't use it out in the field though, it weighs too much, and I don't get any advantage from it. On the range, another matter :)

Ric

I feel the need to go and shoot a deer with my target rifle... If you ask for a 308 JUST for fox, you will be told no. If you ask for a 308 for DEER and fox, you will be told yes, according to ACPO guidelines.

He's actually not asking a 'damn fool question'. I understand that he's clearly not very experienced here, but we have to start somewhere. The idea of one rifle for both is not new. Generally it is accepted that two rifles are the best way to go, but it can be done with one, and the targets need more rifle than the deer, so the targets must be priority.

We don't know whether or not the deer condition is on ticket; it is not up to us to be questioning and suspicious all the time - not all constabularies take it upon themselves to prevent people taking up shooting.

Snap, we'll have to agree to disagree on the Nightforce, I find mine as good in low light as my Schmidt, assuming I turn it down to 8 mag so I get the full 7mm exit pupil. I don't use it out in the field though, it weighs too much, and I don't get any advantage from it. On the range, another matter :)

Mr L - Although I maintain my sceptical approach you are quite right to pick me up for the term "damn fool question". It is offensive and I withdraw it unreservedly :sorry:

Ric

The age old problem of the one rifle does all which affects most of us who cant or don,t wish to spend on two rifles of the same caliber.

I don't target shoot so it does not affect me but my mate who does has a Remington 700 police in .308 which he uses for both target and deer. With the factory HS stock which has an ally bedding block it weighs 9 lbs. A fine accurate rifle. He uses it in this format for stalking but for long range target work he drops the action into a Bell and Carlson tactical stock which he is pleased with. He tells me that when funds allow he will try a McMillan stock. Although truthfully the police will shoot well without the target stock.

Going this route is worth thinking about.

Here is the rifle...........

/www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm

you ant going to be takingdeer at 800 mate very unlikely

wouldnd be alot of energy letf at that range from a .308

I had a lookup, and a 200grn 308 bullet still has over 1000 ftlbs of energy at 800 yrds. That's over ten times the muzzle energy of a .22 subsonic. Frightening or what?

DSC00522.jpg

Remy 700 PSS with free floating barrel, jewel trigger, glass bedded action and wild dog thumb hole stock and not to forget re crowned barrel, 5x25x56 Schmidt & bender PM 11-2 .

Very accurate gun, but very heavy, 1-9 twist barrel, i am putting 55 grains through it at the min but when i start reloading would like to go heavier, although it has done alright up till now...1/2" group at 100 yard "most of the time" :icon_redface: .

lovly looking rifle mate!!

Guest busterdog
DSC00522.jpg

Remy 700 PSS with free floating barrel, jewel trigger, glass bedded action and wild dog thumb hole stock and not to forget re crowned barrel, 5x25x56 Schmidt & bender PM 11-2 .

Very accurate gun, but very heavy, 1-9 twist barrel, i am putting 55 grains through it at the min but when i start reloading would like to go heavier, although it has done alright up till now...1/2" group at 100 yard "most of the time" :icon_redface: .

Thanks mate, it could do with a clean up didn't realise how mucky it was till i put the pics up.

DSC00522.jpg

Thanks mate, it could do with a clean up didn't realise how mucky it was till i put the pics up.

what moderator is on it mate??

Guest busterdog
DSC00522.jpg

what moderator is on it mate??

Atech.