Buck off cut grass

...........which proved to be his undoing.Had a look at a small farm i have last evening and glassed a buck standing in a cut field on the lower ground and still with the tractor cutting nearby as well .I phoned the farmer who was personally in the tractor to ask how long he would be ,a bit cheeky but i know him well enough by now .Sat glassing the whole area and watched a fox mousing on the edge of the swaths jumping way up in the air to land on some hapless mouse no doubt as i could see him chewing out the side of his mouth ,and this still with the tractor cutting ever decreasing circles .The summer really is glorious in England .

Anyway ,he was finishing for tea soon so i had a window to get down there and stalk him .

Crept around the headland of a large field ,the bottem of which he was cutting and got to the bottem hedge .The fox which had disappeared could now be seen trotting away from me ,unaware i was there .I knelt down slowly and watched him as i didnt want him to spoil my stalk further on .He crept into the uncut grass and out my veiw and i carried on along a stream side towards the natural bowl where the buck was last seen .Glassing ahead i could see the top of him up above this bowl which wasnt good from where i was as hed see me before i got into position .He was gazing over the stream at something so i stalked forward slowly taking advantage of the long grass on the headland not eached by the mower .Managed to get to a fence and pushed my way through the grass to be surprised by the buck only 40 yds away and oncomimg .He had seen movement and was checking it out i think .His neck was above the skyline from where i was prone so chest it was and he ran 20 yds to fall in the swath ,churning it up as he did so .

stalking028.jpg

Not a bad six and in tip top condition too .