where have all the collies gone

years ago you could find a decent collie cross in most areas not these days the bull x seems to be the norm. im not slagging the bull crosses i own a few myself. its just that iv been looking for a good first cross collie greyhound stud for some time to no avail. if anyone knows of one please let me know. thanks

think it was brookie who has a retired half cross or some one in his family has the dog.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what happens when you x a collie with a bull then back to a greyhound ???

Thats the road iam going down next time? Ive had both bullx and colliex, so thats what i shall do next colliexgrey x bullxgrey.?

ive one at 20 weeks old and turning out to be a grand little pup!!

well it should be the ultimate cross brains,strenth,determination and speed.ive got the ultimate bull to get us started lol

crackin dog mate would he be about 10 months ? :whistling:

ha ha ha ha he wishes 4 years he protects mi lurchers for me and dus a fine job of it too,thats the full time pet that one...hes as daft as a brush tho if he was a human hed be charles bronson.

so what happens when you x a collie with a bull then back to a greyhound ???

Thats the road iam going down next time? Ive had both bullx and colliex, so thats what i shall do next colliexgrey x bullxgrey.?

ive one at 20 weeks old and turning out to be a grand little pup!!

well it should be the ultimate cross brains,strenth,determination and speed.ive got the ultimate bull to get us started lol

crackin dog mate would he be about 10 months ? :whistling:

ha ha ha ha he wishes 4 years he protects mi lurchers for me and dus a fine job of it too,thats the full time pet that one...hes as daft as a brush tho if he was a human hed be charles bronson.

got a young bitch looks i D to him fought it was her brother i also got a sandvally/scot bullydog does same job lookin after the place

years ago you could find a decent collie cross in most areas not these days the bull x seems to be the norm. im not slagging the bull crosses i own a few myself. its just that iv been looking for a good first cross collie greyhound stud for some time to no avail. if anyone knows of one please let me know. thanks

Just my opinion but as far as your common or garden, supposedly 'traditional' first cross collie greyhound Lurcher goes, through history, they just ain't that common.

Until messers Plummer & Hancock seen the niche' in the market (and boy did they market!!) in the early 80's, most who championed this cross found it very hard to find a litter of 'genuines'. I would guess thats down to the fact that, those who 'knew' the trials and tribulations of owning and working this type would have found it pretty difficult to locate the 'right type' of collie to produce good sound stock.

Living in certain parts of the country would dictate the collie types found, plus owners and breeders of the right sort usually kept things pretty tight to their chest and would wince at the thought of banging 'ol Shep across 'that poaching b*****ds' greyhound!

I'm sure that most, 'who done a bit', over the past century, would look to aquiring Lurchers and find your Deerhound and Bedlington (which have always been about) in the mix, and i'm sure smatterings of Collie too and that wern't a bad thing, that would do nicely! They knew what they would be getting, they knew it could run.

Before sitting down to write this I thumbed through Walshes 'The Poachers Companion', looking to see how many in it ran first cross Collie Greyhounds in centurys gone by... Only one, the King of the Norfolk Poachers, from the Haggard book. Every other mention of Lurchers is spoken about differing crosses. With one from the turn of the century (1901) described as a Greyhound-Bulldog X German Boar Hound!!

The point i'm making is, that these days, first cross Collie Greyhounds are more common than ever, I belive through clever advertising from the two mentioned above in the late 70's and early 80's but those who are serious about owning this type of cross would/ do, still have one hell of a task to find 'the right type' of collie for good sound Lurcher production. Not every Collie fits the bill.... Long may it be so.... ;)

good read makes alot of sence ye its not that easy to find the right type

look back to the early collie xs smithfields they were droving dogs (cattle dogs) hardy rough coated types pehaps ebit more guts about them to be able to boss the cattle pehaps made a better kind of lurcher rather than the (sheep dog) collie

intrestingly warrener put some old pics up of the warreners in nofolk in the cmw a year or so back. he also put up some old adds from exchange and mart. and there were alot of irsh terrier crosses ;)

this first cross collie cur is not a bad worker ;) ....

_MG_2332.jpg

How's that black dog of your coming on muscles?

very very well mate ... you may be seeing her in technicouler before very long ;) ............

very very well mate ... you may be seeing her in technicouler before very long ;) ............

Excellent!

Put me down for a free copy :D

Bosun...very interesting post that. I know from speaking to the old boys in my family a "lurcher" back in the day was certainly nowt to do with collies.

Must have been a parochial thing I guess as certain areas would have their "types."

I can't remember what book I was reading, but it was a talking of a fen area lurcher as being a retriever/grey cross.

I guess it's the thing with parochial strains being homogenised to the point where you have people telling you that such and such a cross is not a lurcher.

If it does the job of a lurcher, it's a lurcher.

Excellent!

Put me down for a free copy :D

Bosun...very interesting post that. I know from speaking to the old boys in my family a "lurcher" back in the day was certainly nowt to do with collies.

Must have been a parochial thing I guess as certain areas would have their "types."

I can't remember what book I was reading, but it was a talking of a fen area lurcher as being a retriever/grey cross.

I guess it's the thing with parochial strains being homogenised to the point where you have people telling you that such and such a cross is not a lurcher.

If it does the job of a lurcher, it's a lurcher.

:good:;)

there is no way on earth a collie cross coping with a few nights a week runnin them red uns, hence this bull x is the more likely option, for most

obviously never seen a good colliex pal

collie cross!!!!!!!!! you couldnt give me one

why would i want to give you one ,i have one in my kennell that takes all quarry ,never let me down and he can take punishment and is still mad to go the following day or night

:clapper: Spot on! mine too,