Hi guys

I'm looking to get my first (used) 4x4, need something economical and not huge. I live in London so all shooting involves a good bit on the motorway before I hit any mud rides - fuel economy is pretty important.

I don't have a family yet, or any dogs, so I don't need masses of space for dog cages etc. but will need to fit a carcass tray

Thinking of getting either a Nissan Terrano or Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Any advice or suggestions welcome!

DEFENDER 90 BEST IV EVER HAD AND BEEN ALL OVER THE PLACE IN MINE AND THE BEST OFF ROADER IV EVER HAD

Fourtrak,had my k reg for 8years never had it stuck and all its cost me on mot's is 4 new tyres(bf goodridge mud terains),rear leaf springs and a new battery.i'd say thats reliable.not bad on fuel for a 2.8td.i'd take it over any landy as i had to rescue a few on the moors in the snow.its also a bit more refined than landy 90's(electric windows,proper heating).its just my opinion make of it what you will.Thanks

The Terrano is better than most people give them credit for, best one is the 2.7 TDi. Plenty of room in the LWB and reasonably refined. Mine is the 2.4i petrol with lpg conversion. I do a lot of road miles all over the country and get 30+mpg on petrol and 21+ on lpg, this equates to about 14p per mile on petrol and 11p per mile lpg.

fourtrak or a 90, i own a fourtrak and its been a very good motor of road and does around 30pmg, the 90 does the job asked for aswell as ive drove afew, ive also owned the Suzuki sj 4.10 and a vitara and there not a good motor of rd realy and hasnt been too clever on petrol, just my own opinion

Edited by CO CHISE

i've only ever driven my series 3, great off road but no good if you want comfort or plenty of mpg. Discos a good bet, the suzukis are a good little motor off road and good for getting down those narrow tracks but the drawbacks are bad fuel economy and parts are quite expensive not too sure about the troopers and diahatsu heard good things about them though..

I was in the same position myself about choosing a 4x4 as i wanted something reasonably okay on the fuel as i do alot of miles on road and the odd bit of offroad whilst pigeon shooting or picking deer up to save your back :D i ended up with a grand vitara, i think its spot on average about 35 to 45 mpg i know they not the best off roaders about but when your covering alot of miles they a very comfortable and can do the job if you take it easy off road ;)

Please don't take this as serious advice as I'm a non-driver but...I was doing some internet research for my Mother-in-Law recently. She wasn't looking for an off roader, just a little run-around, but while browsing I found a great clip on youtube comparing the Panda 4X4 to a Range Rover. :whistling: